Encouraging news for PR PayRolls

Jeff Morosoff, Asst. Professor/Public Relations, Hofstra University

As this semester winds down, I’m thrilled to blog about an encouraging graph I spotted in the current issue of TIME magazine. The chart marks “Professions with the biggest raises since the recession began,” and points to public relations professionals as the group receiving the third biggest raises in the nation, ranked behind tax preparers and physicians.

With the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Harmon.ie and the FCC as sources, TIME’s graph notes that in 2010, PR people averaged just under $60,000 in salary and had the third fastest wage growth–32%!–of any other profession. PR was ahead of IT professionals, chemists and even pest control workers, each which saw increases of around 25%. Within the accompanying article titled “Getting Yours” and subheaded “Even in a down market, some jobs still command pay hikes,” author John Sandburn notes: “November brought good news and bad news for U.S. workers. The unemployment rate dipped, but wages remained stagnant. Pay increased just 1.8% in the past year, about half as much as inflation. That may be changing.”

So read this again: Pay increased just 1.8%, yet PR professionals saw a 32% jump. Wow! Needless to say, I was thrilled to see this, and I’m quite sure that the dozen or so students I know who are graduating this month will be, too. This recession has been scary for college students forced to wonder if they’ll get jobs in their chosen field, jobs which include a salary high enough to let them pay their loans and still be able to become financially independent. Thank you, TIME, for making our holiday a little brighter with such encouraging news. Your thoughts?

10 thoughts on “Encouraging news for PR PayRolls

1. joyce litwin zimmerman

I was encouraged by the report in Time magazine also. However, all job seekers need to keep in mind that any job search — no matter what the economy — requires time and effort. I have written extensively on how to advance one’s career: Potential employees need to learn about their prospective employers by using Internet research; self-evaluation and research is vital to the resume writing process;an objective third party can give insight in how an individual comes across while in a “mock” interview.

2. Michelle

I’m so glad to have heard about this! As a full-time student and part-time waitress, it has been rough getting through each month without much time to relax. As soon as I find myself making money, it all goes back to school to pay for the next semester. Knowing that salaries are actually increasing in times like these, I finally feel a bit relieved that it will be possible to pay off the loans and be financially stable in the future. Thanks for sharing this, Professor! Definitely has already made my holidays better!

3. prshopgirl2232

When one decides to enter the field of PR, its often not for the money (considering the very low starting salary) nor the fabulous life that Samantha Jones of “Sex and the City” leads. PR majors and professionals are very well aware of the amount of grunt work, years and maybe even tears that it takes to land a high paying job. With that being said I am so happy to learn that PR as a whole is being taken more seriously in the professional world. Upon an age where consumer’s demands and desires are being vocalized across the media, there is no way an organization can escape the need to build a positive and fulfilling relationship with its followers. Especially during times of economic turmoil customer satisfaction and recommendation is essential. I think that is exactly why the PR field is seeing a boost in salaries, and a well deserved boost at that. PR is not exactly an 9 to 5 job and I’m happy to see us practitioners will be acknowledged for all of our efforts.

4. Meredith Golden

Well this is really great news. Even though I still have one more semester before I graduate, finding a full-time job with a decent salary is constantly on my mind. But seeing this, I’m more encouraged to keep looking in my own industry for a job rather than venturing into unfamiliar territory. Now a statistic I would REALLY like to see is the increase in pay for an entry-level position…

5. darrahrachman

This is great news!! As a PR major, I am constantly faced with “the look” from my parents and relatives when asked how I will survive on my own with a entry level PR salary– I now have some good news! These stats definitely provide me (and I’m sure everyone else in my major) with some comfort and confidence as I enter into the workforce this year.

6. OkAnna

This is great news for all of us PR majors!! Going off of what Lauren said, PR professionals are essentially the means by which the economy can improve. We help companies improve their images and get more customers; therefore, it is only fitting that we thrive when the economy does not.

7. Jenna Weiller

Professor: wow, these are some startling numbers! I had a feeling that the market for public relations jobs wasn’t horrible, but I didn’t know it was this thriving! It definitely makes sense because companies that are in danger because of the poor economy probably rely on PR to increase their reputation, awareness of their company, and ultimately increase their business. All of us PR students who went into college in the midst of these economy problems, and who didn’t know whether going to college would even make a huge difference as far as finding jobs when we graduated, will find this as a pleasant surprise. Looks like we chose the right field to go into.

8. Lauren Means

Well, that’s good news for me! I think it makes sense that PR professionals were paid more in the time following the recession. Businesses which found themselves at a disadvantage or which lost customers or recognition needed a way to boost their image so they could make it through the tough times. And if the companies also lost a large part of their employees, that’s more money that can be paid to PR people.

9. samwilbur

I’m a journalism major, but if somehow a PR position opened up at some point in the future, I’d definitely consider it; it seems like a much better job market than my current major, which is unfortunate. It’s good that I have some basic skills and knowledge about PR though, I think every communication major should have some knowledge of it; in fact perhaps PR 100 should be a required class for all journalism majors (along with MASS 1 and RTVF 1).

10. Vanessa

Oh that is really good news. To be honest I do sometimes worry about being able to get a job when I graduate with the way this economy is going. But maybe things are not so bad after all. 🙂