Our moms taught us PR

(Pictured, left to right) Mom and me

Everything we know about public relations we learned first from our mothers. Allow me to use PR’s R-A-C-E (research, action, communication, evaluation) method to illustrate:

It was our moms who first applied the rule that living life–just as in PR–must begin with research. It was suggested by moms that we needed to find out what our teacher likes before we drew her a picture for her birthday. Prior to putting our lips to the spoon, we were instructed to first make sure the oatmeal (in my case, Maypo) wasn’t too hot. Moms made it their business to find out who birthed the kids we hung out with, where the “better” school districts were, and which model station wagon/minivan/SUV would best accommodate their growing families.

If the next step in a PR plan is action, then it was our moms who first suggested that we invite the new kid over to play. They directed us to clean up our rooms before company came. They made sure we left milk and cookies out for Santa so we could show our thanks for the presents.

Then comes communication. Moms were the people primarily responsible for teaching us how to talk and write. They helped us with our school reports and drilled us on how to politely answer a phone. Teaching us manners–a key component of personal PR–primarily fell to her. When a “crisis” occurred, moms often became our spokespeople, visiting bullys’ moms or unfair teachers to plead our cases.

Finally, we were always expected to evaluate our actions, good and bad. “How’d you do on your test?” moms would ask. “Will you be seeing her (or him) again?” And when we succumbed to peer pressure and did something stupid, we heard, “If Johnny jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you jump off the Brooklyn Bridge, too?”

Yes, it was our moms and our dads and our teachers and all the older people around us who gave us the early PR tools we’d need throughout our lives. Thanks, Mom, and Happy Mother’s Day! Your thoughts?

9 thoughts on “Our moms taught us PR

1. Annik Spencer

Mothers really do teach us the fundamentals of PR! This was a fun way to describe how they do it. What I found most interesting about this post is the realization that so many different aspects of our lives can teach us about PR. I think a huge reason why that is, is because we are communicating since the day we are born! Also, we often have to research, act, communicate, and evaluate even the smallest decisions we make in our lives, so we are always learning about PR!

2. jenniferbrackman

This was very cute and interesting! It’s nice you wrote it on mother’s day. And it’s true! My mom taught me everything i know about how to probably conduct myself in public. Our real fundamentals come from our parents because even before we wanted to work in the PR world, we had to focus on our own personal reputations and those are the products of our parents hard work.

3. Rachel_Lynn_Gonzalez

This was great! I never had thought of it like that until I read this post. My mom has truly given me the fundamentals that I will need to take me through my life as a PR professional. This also shows that PR is used in everyday life and is a clear example of how influential and important these values are to hold and remember in both my personal and professional life. I have my mom to thank for teaching me a lifetime’s worth of PR tools! Thank, Mom. Happy Mother’s Day to all!

4. Rachel_Lynn_Gonzalez

5. Jenny Zheng

This post shows us how PR ties into how life works. This goes to show that public relations is more tied into establishing a relationship with clients than we realize. it’s about common sense, formalities, and knowing when to do the right things.

6. Stephanie Ficca

This is absolutely correct. Most fundamental communication tools relate to and come from the values our mothers taught us growing up. The RACE method is a perfect example of how you can correlate what we have learned in our PR classes to what we have known all along. Happy Mother’s Day!!

7. Sandra

Couldn’t agree more. I think my parents taught me everything I need to know to be a PR professional. Of course Hofstra helped too, but the fundamentals came from mom and dad! Creatie way to look at it, and very appropriate on Mother’s Day 🙂

8. Bert Cunningham

Motherly advice also taught us not to blindly follow the pack. “If everyone jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you?” still rings in my ears. PR pros need to be willing to stand alone when the going gets rough and the right thing meeds to be done or when a new approach to an old problem is needed. Thanks, Mom.