PRoving a need

63 Comments on PRoving a need

PR-TipsThis past Friday I hosted a conference titled “PR on a Budget,” which provided valuable information to 35 participating nonprofit organizations on how to “do” PR using few resources.  The conference was inspired by my annual survey of Long Island’s nonprofits, and I’m anticipating my 2013 survey will again show that these groups are hungry for public relations help.  It’ll also strengthen the call for PR professionals, trade groups and academic institutions to provide pro bono assistance to under-resourced nonprofits who need it the most.

Surveys I’ve conducted in 2011 and 2012 prove what has been long understood: nonprofits realize the value of good PR, but few have the resources to create and implement public relations campaigns as well as they would like.  They’re depending upon staff and volunteers who are multitasking, often combining PR responsibilities with others including marketing (69% in 2011; 70% in 2012), fundraising (69% in 2011; 58% in 2012), event planning (67% in 2011; 62% in 2012), advertising (60% in 2011 and 2012), and/or additional administrative duties (65% in 2011; 54% in 2012).

Of those surveyed, half responded in 2012 that they use volunteers for public relations tasks all or part of the time.  Interns are brought on to handle some public relations duties; 21% of the nonprofits said they hired PR interns in 2011 and 18% in 2012.  Most organizations devote very few resources to training, and little have any kind of planned PR strategy.

More PR professionals should offer pro bono services to nonprofit organizations to help them reach their publics, particularly their donors and supporters.  There are already many PR agencies, corporations, consultants and academic programs donate time as advisors, mentors and volunteers to assist nonprofit organizations’ communication efforts.  Trade organizations including the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) encourage such pro bono involvement through recognition programs and advocacy.

While this volunteer activity can’t substitute for an in-house public relations staff or an expert PR agency or consultant, it could bridge the gap that nonprofits experience at least part of the time.  So if you know a Long Island nonprofit, please send them the link to my survey.  We can use the results to raise awareness among PR professionals that nonprofits need help, and lots of it!  Your thoughts?

63 thoughts on “PRoving a need

1. jeremydbeck

Any company or organization will benefit from a well staffed PR department. Non-Profits are in dire need of good PR because people will only support the cause if they are aware that such an organization exists. Pro Bono work in any field is highly admirable, but in PR it seems that when it comes to Non-Profits it can lead to great importance.

2. Jeremy Epstein

Operating in a non-profit organization is difficult. While the organization does great things to help out the community, they are unable to successfully spread the word. Non-profits shouldn’t be punished for doing things to help out the community. It is enviable that they would rather fix up a park than turn a profit. That type of behavior should be encouraged and PR professionals should donate their time to the causes of such organizations.

3. jessicaxxrebello

As someone who is personally part of a non-profit organization, I really enjoyed reading this post! Very interesting to see that you do a lot more PR related things outside of our classroom (haha)☺. As a PR major, along with a few other girls in my sorority, I feel we have been making the best of our combined knowledge when planning events and making flyers for our non-profit. Because we are all equally busy with school and work, lately it has been hard for us to focus a lot of our time on our non-profit. What we have done so far has been great and has far exceeded my expectations of what I thought was going to come out of this after starting it all this past summer. After I graduate in May of 2014, I wouldn’t call myself a “PR professional” just yet… but hopefully I will be able to use all the skills I have learned over the years and with the help of others, to really help this non-profit succeed and make a difference.

4. acasole

I feel that good and professional PR is extremely important for non-profit organizations and I agree that pro-bono help for these organizations will only allow them to grow and improve not only in the PR aspect of their non-profit, but as an organization as a whole. All of this multitasking, due to a limited amount of resources, is not allowing the organization to live up to their public relations potential. Although working for a non-profit organization can be difficult, getting help from PR professionals will only improve their PR and make their organization’s purpose more successful and impactive.

5. Emily Green

PR for non-profit is just as important as PR for profit organizations. That being said, large PR companies should offer pro bono services to non-profit organizations. Large PR companies will not be put behind because they will have enough paying customers. In return, that company will gain a better public image and probably a higher interest of customers since they will be known for volunteering their time to a non-profit.

6. Lindsey

Public Relations is hugely important to a non-profit organization. It is the only way to build a good relationship with their various publics without paying for expensive advertising and marketing campaigns. More PR professionals should donate their services to organizations supporting a good cause. If the non-profit does not want to higher a PR professional, they should invest in education for their employees so they at least are aware of the basics of creating and maintaining a positive public image. Without a likable and recognizable brand to the public, a non-profit company cannot gather the support they need to continue their good work.

7. Dilpreet Kainth

“Surveys I’ve conducted in 2011 and 2012 prove what has been long understood: nonprofits realize the value of good PR, but few have the resources to create and implement public relations campaigns as well as they would like” I found this really interesting. PR is so crucial to this day and age that many people just do not realize it until they really need it. Whether you are a big or small company or organization, or any public person, PR is very beneficial to you. Especially for a non-profit, PR is something we can use and have so much benefit from. Many non-profits often run on low expenses and income and cannot necessarily hire a PR professional or agency. This is why pro-bono is crucial. This is something that can help several non-profits who are often doing good for the public and community.

8. janecapants

I think that non-profits should absolutely spend more time looking for PR professionals, even if just interns. Colleges are great places to look for interns because students are always looking for experience in the field. If the word does’t get out about a non-profit or a fundraiser a non-profit is holding, then how will they be successful. Hiring a PR intern or professional has benefits for both parties. One will get experience and the other will get great coverage. A PR professional should definitely be an essential part of a non-profit organization.

9. Jordan Richmond

I could not agree more. A large bulk of my extra-curricular activity at Hofstra is due to She’s the First, a non-profit organization, and I agree that the biggest need is to get the word out there. Because we don’t work with a large budget, we can only really generate interest in our fundraisers and events through word-of-mouth, which doesn’t always work. That kind of strategy depends on the entire group of people in the organization pulling their weight and telling all of their friends about what’s happening, and that realistically doesn’t always happen. We started a PR committee this past year and are hoping that that task force of volunteers will generate the kind of public interest we need to reach our fundraising goal.

10. Alexandra Ciongoli

I think that if these non-profit organizations need more helping hands in the public relations field of their company, they should have interns. I would certainly be interested! It seems like these organizations want and need more public relations people, yet for some reason they are not putting the effort into hiring permanent employees or training interns to help them out. I also think that ultimately everyone would benefit from PR professionals offering pro bono services to non-profit organizations because they clearly could use the extra help.

11. kerry stewart

I think that PR Professionals would be extremely smart in their choice to help out not for profit orgs. They are often the organizations that are standing for the most relatable and important causes. A little volunteer work never killed anyone and especially for organizations that are so important to the public, it’ll help all around if their words get out.

12. Olga

As I see it, from realistic point of view, it’s mostly volunteers’ activity and interns that are and will be the main resources of PR activity in nonprofit organizations who can’t afford an in-house public relations staff or PR consultants. Non-profit organizations need PR service, the interns and volunteers need PR experience, so this mutual benefit will be the connecting link between them. Educating conferences are also a great help to the non-profit organizations as such events give them the tools to solve the problem.
    Whereas there is some help provided by successful PR agencies and corporations to those who need PR service, I think for most small non-profit organizations it will be always the situation sink or swim. And free social media is a terrific opportunity for nonprofits to popularize themselves.
    As a future PR professional I found that conference extremely informative and interesting. To complement the topic that was covered at the conference, I would like to share this link:
    The article gives good tips to how understand better social media audience.

13. Michael Yehuda

Non-Profit organizations are good when you want to raise money for a good cause. Many non-profit organizations help a lot of people who are in need. They even help soldiers in who are fighting to keep our country and people safe from harm. Volunteers who work for a non-profit organization get a lot of job experience out of it. It teaches them all the job ethics and how a business runs.

14. lmansl1

I think it’s a great idea for Public Relations professionals to do pro bono work for non profit organizations. It would be great to team PR professionals with organizations they can relate to and are passionate for.
    Yet while I do believe it’s a wonderful idea I’m not sure how plausible it is. PR professionals tend to be extremely busy, it comes with the job, therefore they might wan to spend their free time doing PR. While I can’t read the minds of those and how they want to spend their free time I know on my free time I would probably want to relax. Unless I was truly passionate for the non profit I’m unsure how dedicated I would be. I think the key to this is finding a way to connect PR professionals to their passion.

15. Kelly Cormier

I think that PR professionals should absolutely dedicate some of their time to helping out non-profit organizations. Although non-profits have the most limited resources, they also stand for the most important and meaningful causes. This idea would help not only the non-profit strengthen its PR needs, the PR professional would walk away with a great learning experience which would strengthen their own skills, as well.

16. Emily J DiLaura

This is so awesome to hear considering non-profit is pretty much where I want to be in the PR world. The idea of charity and helping out and the PR that goes into non-profit has always been something I am more interested in than hard PR for some crazy company. I think it is a great opportunity to learn how to work on a low budget, get creative, and is a great experience. I hope to get an internship with one this summer!

17. Julia Ryan

I, too, think that PR professionals should lend their time and efforts to helping a nonprofit organization. In looking into the many branches of the field that I could go into with my PR degree, I was often fascinated by how such large nonprofit organizations function. It has always confused me, and I had always assumed it had to be pretty tough to pull off, financially. I think that PR professionals and firms should donate their time to help these causes, because not only is it a good thing to do, but it could also be good PR for the firm itself.

18. Marilyn Oliver

Wow, I had no idea that pro bono professional PR assistance was so common but what a great concept! I do notice, even in the small amount of PR experience I have that companies have a tendency to place the responsibility of handling PR in non-PR departments which results in second-rate PR work for the company. As a PR student I would be eager to volunteer my PR skills for any company I could, especially non-profit, because it would be great experience for me and the company would get the opinions and work of someone who studies PR exclusively.

19. twade1031

I had no idea that so many non-profit organizations were lacking a public relations department. To be honest, I sort of just assumed that PR would be something that not-for-profit organizations would inherently understand the importance of. I feel like if more non-profit organizations put in the work to change their image or communicate differently to the public, they will get their message across and/or reach their goals faster and better.

While members of a non-profit organization are typically not paid much, they do their best to get their respective jobs done. Those members do not have time to concern themselves with making sure their company looks a certain way. They also may not have the capital to hire a specialist or an entire department. This is why PR organizations or professionals should do pro bono work that can and will help the non-profit with their PR without their having to sacrifice resources.

20. Max N.

PR seems like it should be a very important part of non-profit business models but i guess its low on their radars. I can’t really think of any reason a PR professional would want to do pro bono work for a non-profit unless its a cause they personally feel strongly about or just out of the goodness of their hearts but you can’t really depend on that for a steady stream of professionals. From what I read it seems like non-profits, if they can manage it, should make PR a bigger priority. Spending more on PR to get the message out there would lead to higher visibility of the non-profit and more donations and publicity for the organization making it easier still to broadcast their message. If PR agencies internally want to make more of a push to do pro bono work then thats great and I think the companies they help will benefit greatly. But I don’t think it would be reasonable to pressure or expect them to do more just because the non-profits need it.

21. nicole_lombardo

PR is growing more important everyday in society; I believe it is a fundamental tool used and should the basics should be learned by everyone before they leave college and enter their careers. PR for non-profits is a great idea because they need the publicity the most for awareness and funding to further their work. The use of interns for non-profit organizations seems to be extremely beneficial for both the students and the organization. It is a great learning experience for the intern and its free PR for the non-profit.

22. Brenna O'Shea

I feel that every company/organization should have some sort of PR involvement. It is an essential part of a company/organization in order for them to have a fair game at being successful. Every company and organization needs a way to portray their messages. Non-profits tend to have a more difficult getting PR due to their budget issues and money limitations. They need a little more guidance and help in the communication area, espeically since some of them do not have a PR department at all. So I do agree that using interns would be a smart choice for the non-profits. It most likely will not cost them anything since most interns work for free. It can’t hurt the non-profit organizations by getting extra help and attention aimed towards the communication area, so why not get help from interns?

23. Sharlys Leszczuk

It is imperative that any organization has a professional PR department because there are so many ways for an organization to flourish with a PR department. A Public Relations specialist is something that does not get budgeted for many nonprofits because they do not see the potential. PR is an investment that will eventually pay off. Some of the most successful non-profits, such as The Red Cross, undoubtedly have PR representatives. The more a company is willing to invest in Public Relations representation, the more money it will have coming in, the more attention it is going to draw, and the more people it is going to reach. Public Relations is not something that can be done by the average volunteer off the street, but it must be someone with either an education in the field, or experience. It is a very strategic job that has a lot of potential to raise interest and donations in a nonprofit organization, but if it is done incorrectly, it could be a huge waste of money and/or time.

24. Brittany Witter

I agree whole heartedly with the idea of helping non-profits who can not afford in-house of agency PR services. I think different not-for-profits need to be reviewed and truly looked at so we can figure out which organizations really need help and which ones just choose not to have a communications professional on staff. PR is a vital component for any company or organization to be successful, and non-profits need that communication help more than others due to their tight and strict budgets.

25. Max Eisenberg

I’m very surprised to hear that some non-profit organizations don’t even have a PR department, as it’s a crucial part to them getting their message out and creating trust between the organization and the public. Using interns is a good idea as they don’t require to be paid and if they had mentors to help train them, they may get the tools to help improve the organization and work with them full time as professionals. The job training would be very useful to new PR professionals and would still be benefiting the organization in the long run.

26. csawye2

Non-profit organizations are in need of Public Relations help as it can greatly help their organization. I was extremely surprised at the conference by how many organizations had little to none assistance with PR. I believe that PR agencies should offer pro bono help to non-profits.

27. Cody Dano

It was actually surprising for me to read about how many non-profit organizations have limited amount or no PR people at all. I always just assumed they had people doing their PR. It isn’t always easy for non-profits to hire people, especially when they have a limited budget. Thats why I think it is very important of PR agencies to lead their time and services. Not only does it put the agency in a good light for helping someone else, it helps the non-profit as well.

28. Whitney Shepherd

I completely agree with you when you say that non-profit organizations need all the help they can get. Non-profit organizations do there part to help out their community and the audiences that they serve and unfortunately with being a non-profit organization comes with many struggles. Some of the struggles including not having the best amount of resources do to financial reasons. I believe PR interns can definitely do there part to help out those non-profit organizations struggling by taking their knowledge and experienced gained and pass it on to those that really need it. I would definitely agree that more PR companies should offer pro bono services as well.

29. Laura Schioppi

I agree with you that PR companies should offer pro bono work for non-profit organizations. The goal of non-profit organizations is to create awareness and gain donations. But, the only way for the public to know about these organizations is the use of public relations. I don’t think companies should delegate the huge responsibility of PR on their interns or co-workers. Their co-workers may not be strong in that field and the interns are there to learn from the company. More PR companies should offer pro bono work because they are lifting a huge weight and burden off of the non-profit organizations. If we all work together, we can succeed.

30. adrianazappolo

It’s unfortunate that non-profit organizations are struggling when it comes to PR, especially because they typically work to raise awareness or money for a good cause. It is very important for non-profits to have a good PR team behind them in order to get recognized and gain support. Non-profits need all of the PR help they can get to spread their message to the public, otherwise people simply won’t pay attention to the work they are doing.

31. Jaime Silano

It is evident that non-profit organizations, like any corporation working towards a goal, need assistance with PR and communications tasks. PR is vital to the success of an organization. Fortunately, the nature of the business of public relations is networking and expanding. For this reason, like Bobby said, PR professionals doing pro-bono work with non-profits is a good experience for both the organization and the PR firm or professional; it is a mutually beneficial transaction in many ways. There is much to be learned about a different approach to PR when working for non-profits, and there is a lot professionals can teach non-profit employees who’s job may not primarily be PR. While it is true that pro-bono volunteer work can hardly compensate for a lack of in-house PR professionals, it’s a very good place to start for non-profits. It makes all the difference to have professional help in the PR department, and it behooves PR professionals to actively support and assist non-profits.

32. sjelli1

Nonprofit organizations are some of the companies that most need PR to help them succeed. Charitable organizations, which nonprofits usually are, do a world of good work that should be shared with as many people as possible. My fraternity AEPi supports such organizations as Save A Child’s Heart and Friends of the IDF and the money and attention that a good PR program could bring these two charities and any others is phenomenal and always welcome.

33. Danie Zolezzi

It is tragic that nonprofit organizations let their PR needs fall so far on their list of priorities. Not because they want to, but because they just do not have the means to hire a real PR team. However, one would think that someone helping others and doing nonprofit work would find it even more important to get some good publicity and get people talking about what they’re doing. Using resources and the tips given can definitely help build that public image nonprofits sometimes lack unless your name is Susan G. Komen.

34. Robert Ryan

Non-profits have a hard time providing PR for their company. This being said, isn’t doing PR for a non profit good PR for a PR agency? I know that sounds a bit redundant but every experience is good experience and if you are willing to work with a company that is in need doesn’t that make you a more desirable agency. Unless it takes away from larger more important clients. Just an idea I wanted to share.

35. Maria Pascarella

I absolutely agree that non-profits need all the PR help they can get, especially when their funds are low. However, it will always be difficult to get that help because not many people are particularly interested in non-profit PR, and few have the financial stability to be able to volunteer. That said, I do think it can only be beneficial to a PR company to donate some time to a non-profit; the experience they could gain as a company is extremely important.

36. Ishan Kumar

In recent years the need for public relations has risen to an important level and I believe that in today’s world every organization needs a professional PR’s to get the message out to the public and especially non-profits. The stats have been really surprising that the staff of nonprofit agencies is involved in advertising, event planning, marketing and other administrative duties. I certainly agree that PR firms should also do pro bono for non profits because often non profits lack funds and it becomes really difficult for them to get their message out to the concerned and relative audience.

37. Laurel Smith

Though I do agree with everything that you’re saying, I also believe there are a few realistic hitches that nonprofits are going to encounter along the way. For one, everyone will always agree that help should be offered to nonprofits, however who is actually going to provide this assistance? What incentive will agencies need in order to get professionals to do these particular jobs? Why will organizations offer their expertise when they can do the same job for more money elsewhere? I know that this is the gap that you are saying needs to be filled, but how? I think that in a society where money is the key factor, it will always be a task for one group to help another with no benefits included in the exchange.

38. sarah elsayed

I would definitely have to agree that pro bono work would benefit both the company and the PR. Practice is a fundamental part of getting good at your trade. I don’t believe your image can be hurt by doing charity work. Pro bono work can give a company a start they need but cannot afford, and give a PR insight that may’ve never gained from work they’re getting paid for.

39. Nancy Haas

In order for non-profit organizations to receive the help that they need in terms of getting more PR volunteers, PR professionals need to be aware of how non-profits are struggling and what areas they need help in. Although these organizations might struggle financially and those who are working for them get minimal pay, it is a great learning experience. Since non-profits are always promoting events and such for a good cause, they should be a priority in the field of PR. It must be incredibly challenging to spread the word about a cause and try to recruit people to support it. Thus, strategic and well-executed PR is a crucial element to having a successful non-profit organization. Hopefully, PR professionals who work outside of non-profit realize the importance of these organizations and are willing to do pro-bono work for the benefit of the greater good.

40. Yeliz A

I don’t think people realize how crucial public relations can be for an organization or company. Those statistics are extremely surprising and I would’ve never expected companies to use volunteers, interns, or multi-taskers to get PR work done. I wasn’t aware of the fact that these nonprofit organizations weren’t utilizing professional public relations representatives. What if something goes terribly wrong? Proper and professional PR tactics and strategies will not be implemented correctly and can make things worse. I fully support the idea of PR professionals reaching out to nonprofit organizations and improving their publicity by reaching out to a wider audience.

41. akrame27

If there is any place that needs PR it is absolutely in a non-profit organization. It is often very difficult to raise awareness and get people on board about a non-profit because while it is a good cause it often is a hassle and people unfortunately don’t want to be bother. This is why good PR is mandatory in order to find creative ways to lure people in about a particular non-profit organization. When PR is done correctly it is often very successful and can have wonderful lasting results.

42. Zoe Hoffmann

Public relations is a huge part of any company, especially nonprofit organizations. One of the most important aspects of public relations is having a strategy or plan that can be carried out. The plan should include ideas, goals and a budget. One thing that professional publicists could do pro bono is to assist companies in making these plans. An intern can probably help fulfill some of the aspects of the public relations plan, but they most likely cannot undertake the entire organization for a company.
    My nonprofit that I am working with in class is called TIM. TIM’s foundation lies in the fact that companies need services instead of monetary donations. Essentially, TIM helps to bridge the gap of companies needing intellectual services and qualified individuals who can donate those services. In a way, TIM would make pro bono work for PR professionals that much more organized, and progress would be tracked through the company. It is shocking that nonprofits need that much help, and an organization such as TIM would be a huge asset in providing those services.

43. Will Martinez

For a non-profit that cannot afford PR professionals, volunteer help is definitely needed. Without reaching out to your various publics or donors, a non-profit can lose money and recognition. In my internship at The Fresh Air Fund, a non-profit that helps send NYC kids to summer camps, I felt my work really benefited the company. In other words, my duties were more than just getting coffee or doing nit-picky tasks. With solid PR help, a non-profit can keep itself from becoming obsolete.

44. Richard Rocha

I think every PR professional should at some point do pro bono work just as a civil duty. It is an ethical practice, and could be cathartic in a way that PR for profit might not be. One could find a non-profit organization that coincides with their own goals, and thus feel great after they help that organization get recognized and maybe even do some real good.

45. cmadsenpr

I agree that the non-profit field is very difficult. My mom works human resources for a nonprofit company, and although it’s nice to offer pro-bono work for non-profit organizations, the reality is that a lot of people are struggling to make money and need to work for companies that will pay them for their work. I think utilization of interns and volunteers is a great way to get the work done, because interns are willing to do the work and (especially in Hofstra’s case) PR students are very knowledgable and want to learn more about their field and get hands on experience, so they are a great resource to use. Its difficult, but many times there are a lot of volunteers that are willing to help. At my mom’s company, they do a Thanksgiving dinner for all people in the Albany area who can’t afford to make their own dinners, and they distribute thousands of dinners every year. They have so many volunteers that they actually have to turn away help. There are people who are willing to work for free for causes they believe in, non-for profits just have to find a way to find these people.

46. Lauren Platt

I agree that more PR agencies should work with non-profits and offer pro bono services. I think if they are able to enhance the appearance of the non profit and their own agency then it would be worth it. Although it is challenging to work with little resources, it would be a rewarding experience and worth the hard work.

47. Alyssa O'Brien

Thoughtful public relations is essential for any purposeful, organized, endeavor. While I realize that certain aspects of public relations can be rather costly, dealing with pro-bono cases elicits resourceful tactics from PR professionals. Low budget public relations campaigns especially must capitalize on cost effective tools: social media, and word of mouth.
    The recent social media explosion increased advertising accessibility in creating “buzz” about certain companies. While I realize that advertising does not wholly encompass public relations, it is still very valuable for promoting events and products. Social media is also useful for projecting an organization’s brand, mission, values, and communicating an overall message . While appreciating the positive advantage that social media provides, it is also important to remember that social media makes the possibility for negative messages lucrative. The health of an organization is priceless. Components that contribute to an organization’s overall health maybe quantifiable but the cost of advertising and marketing do not encompass the amount of work and time a solid reputation demands. Good public relations is not dependent upon the amount of money an organization has to spend on its campaign, but the approach and resourcefulness of the campaign. It is important to conjure a thoughtful strategy, use word of mouth and to capitalize on effective, inexpensive resources such as social media sites and promotion through networking. It is also important to consider the mutual benefit of doing voluntary work. The individual who does the work for free also gains good PR for their agency or business from the situation. Although they are not compensated for their work, the public perceives them as altruistic and noble .

48. Kim Gray

As I read this post, I am really surprised of the statistics of the lack of PR professionals in the nonprofit organizations. It is really disappointing to see the lack of involvement PR professionals have in non profit organizations. Public relations has a fundamental role to play in the success of an organization. The lack of involvement can damage the organization’s reputation because they don’t have the necessary skills to manage communications. Because of the lack of knowledge and interest, Non profit organizations will fail to raise awareness and build clientele.

49. Adria Marlowe

I also think it is important for higher education programs in nonprofit administration and arts management to offer PR courses as part of the curriculum. Looking back at the various positions I’ve held in nonprofit organizations (from entry level to assistant director), a PR course would have been as helpful (if not more at times) than the economics, advertising, and management courses I had been required to take as part of my undergraduate study. In the long run, educating individuals who are looking to pursue a career in nonprofits will benefit the organizations where they end up working.

50. Leia Schultz

The work you do with Long Island nonprofits seems really beneficial to their organizations and to the local community in general! PR can be so valuable to organizations when it’s implemented correctly and serves to build relationships with the public. Hopefully your research and the conference helped nonprofits learn about the importance of good PR and how to “do” it!

51. croyal13

Public Relations is an extremely beneficial profession for every organization. They spread awareness and information about different products, people and platforms in society. Non-profits are one important organization that can be quite challenging for PR professionals. However, in the end, these professionals will benefit from the skills they develop. Volunteers can get great experience from working with organizations. But, interns trying to build their professional resume should be more involved in this. It is a great place to begin for students and something to expand on. Non-profits are also becoming increasingly involved in the journalism industry as well. Journalism and PR tend to overlap in many cases

52. Lyndi Catania

I think that PR is extremely important for a non-profit organization. Most people these days are so concerned with the newest electronics or the newest fashion and not so knowledgeable about all of the important non-profit organizations that are out there. I think this issue goes back to PR. PR is definitely needed in that area in order for those organizations to succeed. It’s sad to think that these non-profits are helping so many others but are lacking important resources. When it comes to volunteers I wouldn’t imagine that too many professionals out there have much time on their hands with their other jobs. I do think that hiring more non-paid interns is one very beneficial idea.

53. VanessaV

Pro bono work for a publicist is a good requirement to have. In addition, to helping the nonprofit organizations who cannot afford such big PR companies. It also helps the companies and the economy when the PR people come in and widen both audiences. It’s also good that they come in and teach lessons that can be implemented by the volunteers and some interns in the future. With the time and the effort that the big PR companies put into helping the nonprofit companies, one could only see the PR companies becoming bigger because of the help that they are giving out. Helping the nonprofit companies can lead to connections, with other companies that would want to hire the PR firms because of their previous work.

54. Nathalie Salazar

When attending the conference last Friday, I was extremely surprised by these statistics. I had no idea that a lot of non-profit organizations don’t have the resources or knowledge of those resources to help conduct PR tasks or campaigns. I was shocked at how many non-profit organizations have trouble in filling PR positions with professionals who know what they are doing or who at least have the motivation to implement PR. I believe that with so many organizations, there are so many opportunities for PR professionals to perform their practice and most importantly help! All these organizations need is some guidance and help in getting their message out. I remember Professor Morosoff mentioning a spring course for senior PR majors that involves sending out PR students to help with PR campaigns that non-profit organizations wish to implement. I believe that is a great start in helping these organizations. By providing non-profits with fresh, young and creative minds, Hofstra’s PR department is doing a great service to the non-profit organizations of our community.

55. Alexandra Cohen

I think it’s important for any company or organization to have PR. I agree that pro bono work is important in PR. Non profit organizations shouldn’t be combining PR responsibilities with other jobs. Non profits should hire more interns, but don’t pay them because it’s not necessary since they’re getting real world experience. Donations can be given to help the department with training and resources.

56. Isabela Jacobsen

We’ve talked a lot about how PR can change things for a company or person. I think that it’s becoming such a growing field because people are realizing how much of an impact PR makes. These non-profits are in need of the public relation experts! Volunteers might not be able to cover everything a person who actually studied PR can. Volunteers won’t have all the information or experience that a PR person might have. There’s a reason we go to school for it! I think these non-profits will see a big difference with a PR person, rather than volunteers.

57. rachaeldurant

I definitely agree that pro bono work is important in PR, as well as every other field. Many of these non-profit organizations are providing services or doing work that will benefit everyone, whether directly or indirectly. I think hiring college PR students may work out well for these non-profit organizations. Perhaps universities could offer a program where students work as an intern for these non-profit organizations (for no fee) in exchange for free or reduced price internship credit! That would be helping college students get the PR experience that the job market requires, as well as offering free PR to non-profit organizations.

58. Brie S

PR is such a growing field and is needed in all kinds of businesses and organizations, including non profit. Many people, myself included, want to do agency or in-house and would not think to non-profit even just for an internship. Experience is still experience.

Also, businesses donate money to various organizations and charities and should do the same with their PR skills. Non profit organizations need PR professionals too; having a specialist like that can really make a difference for any organization.

59. Ariana Goldklang

I think PR for non-profit organizations is a good idea. All companies and organizations, need a PR team or publicity in some way. In order to get people interested in your organization, you need PR. I think it’s essential to all companies.

60. Rachel Tyler

I think more PR agencies should lend their time to help non-profit organizations. Non-profit organization want to raise awareness for some kind of cause and the main part of a PR professionals job is to get a companies name and message out into the public. I agree that PR professionals should offer pro bono services to non-profit organizations because the work that non-profits are doing is important and anything to help them get their message out into the public I think is important.

61. Chelsey Fuller

PR for non-profit organizations is absolutely essential! And it is sad to see that there is so much multitasking and not enough focus on PR itself. I completely agree that more PR organizations should offer pro bono services because what these non-profits are doing is important and they should receive the best help with getting the word out. It is very hard to grab people’s attention and non-profits can benefit from the work of professionals and also learn from them.

62. madalyntundis

Nonprofits are organizations that are created to raise awareness and funds in order to help with some kind of cause, organization, etc. And, isn’t that what PR is all about? Raising awareness and generating profit for a client? Nonprofits need that too. In order to spread their word and message, they need good PR.
    Individuals working for nonprofits surely understand the obstacles their organization faces everyday. It is challenging to get peoples attention and make them really care about the cause. That’s why PR is so essential. PR aids in this difficult process- and when done right, is successful.
    Everyone has passions or cares deeply about something or another. Go out there, find a nonprofit that you believe in, and volunteer your time, energy, and PR expertise!

63. Joe Flanagan

I think PR for non-profit organizations is something that should be practiced by all PR professionals when they first graduate college. Since there is a limited amount of resources, the practice of PR in a non-profit organization will allow for the PR person to really strengthen their skills through on the job training. They will not be able to sink into a certain “niche” in the area and have to work on all areas because they will most likely be the only PR person working for the organization.
    Once a PR person has practiced in a non-profit organization, they can become more effective in other agencies if they decide to leave the non-profit and work somewhere else.
    When looking at non-profit organizations, I think the only way that they will be able to have successful PR is through volunteers, or PR professionals straight out of college because the financial resources are not available to provide a strong PR program for each no-profit.