ConsPiRacies, anyone?

61 Comments on ConsPiRacies, anyone?
Wendell Potter, author of "Deadly Spin"

Wendell Potter, author of “Deadly Spin”

This coming week marks the 50th anniversary of the assassination of President Kennedy and there are countless TV specials and articles about his life and death, some are focusing on the numerous conspiracy theories surrounding the shooting.  A new Gallop survey says 61% of us believe that Lee Harvey Oswald did not act alone.

The regurgitation of JFK conspiracies got me thinking about the botched roll-out of the Affordable Care Act.  As the Obama administration struggles to get the web site working properly, millions of people received letters telling them their health insurance has been cancelled because their policies could not meet the requirements of the new law.  Because I’m having a hard time believing the president has been lying all along about his health care plan, I got to wondering — could the massive problems with the launch be the result of a conspiracy?

In his tell-all book Deadly Spin, Wendell Potter claimed that insurance companies used unethical PR tactics and conspired to try to stop President Obama’s plan from becoming law.  Potter had a 20-year career as a corporate public relations executive at CIGNA, one the nation’s largest health insurers.  He recently blogged, “Having played a role in similar campaigns designed to mislead the public by spreading fear in hopes of defeating profit-threatening legislation, the anti-Obamacare care folks are frantic…In many cases, however, the policyholders getting those (cancellation) letters are simply victims of a business practice insurers have engaged in for years: discontinuing policies because they’re no longer sufficiently profitable.”  Keeping in mind that the insurance companies never wanted Obamacare to happen in the first place, could they be terminating policies at people’s expense to hurt Obama?

And what about that troubled website?  Could it be that its initial launch was sabotaged?  Might unethical people in high places be working to hurt the president’s hallmark plan?  Or was this truly–and only–botched planning and lack of foresight on the part of the president?

As we still wonder about JFK a half-century later, is an anti-Obamacare conspiracy also a possibility?  Your thoughts?

61 thoughts on “ConsPiRacies, anyone?

1. Francesca Bove

I think that it is very possible that sabotage occurred here. Since the information that leads the public to believe this was from Wendall Potter who is a big time PR executive, makes the fact that sabotage may have occurred all the more believable. It makes sense because even though it in unethical it sets the perfect scene to put the President in a negative light. I think this conspiracy definitely has the ability to be considered years later and looked into just like JFK’s assassination.

2. Robert Ryan

Sabotage is actually a possibility here. Wendell Potter openly admitted to partaking in campaigns designed to mislead people about the health care act. A larger conspiracy is not necessarily something I believe in but sabotage is taking place, as per Mr. Potter. It is extremely unethical that Potter sabotaged the president’s health care act. Clearly anyone is capable of anything and a conspiracy is possible.

3. Jordan Richmond

I love the concept that this launch was a conspiracy against the Obama administration. I certainly believe that some people would work toward making things harder for the Affordable Care Act to take flight, be it within their own companies or on a grander scheme, like purposefully sabotaging a website. With the intensive workload that government workers go through, things are meant to move pretty smoothly, especially in IT-related fields within the website launch. These people are hired because they’re found to be extremely intelligent and qualified, so having this failed website launch could certainly be due to a conspiracy…let the drama unfold.

4. Alexandra Ciongoli

I think it is entirely possible that the insurance companies are doing everything they can to sabotage Obama now that Obamacare passed. And as we all know, it’s also not surprising that people in high placed are always aiming to take down the President of the United States, no matter how affluent, successful or brilliant he might be. As sad as it is to say, many people would rather throw a stone at the unpopular president than be proactive and try to come up with helpful suggestions. There are millions of Americans who really despise Obamacare, and that hate extends to all Obama’s laws, policies and public opinions. If smart and powerful enough people ban together and really try to take down the president’s image, I absolutely believe it could happen.

5. jeremydbeck

I don’t subscribe to the belief that the website malfunction is a conspiracy from on high. It’s simply technology gone awry and bad anticipation in terms of how many people the site would have to host at once. In terms of the insurance companies, I think they are capable of anything. In the end of the day they are a business looking for profitability one way or another. If that means dropping people who wouldn’t be profitable under Obamacare, then so be it, anything to make a dollar.

6. Richard Rocha

I often wonder how Obama let the website fail so miserably, and how he let his whole plan crumble around him. He never seemed to be a President who had a lack of foresight, or a person who did something with half the effort needed. This is why the idea of a conspiracy is so tempting for me to buy into. It would restore some credibility to Obama’s policies. Then again, I would like to have more faith in our political system.

7. Jeremy Epstein

The conspiracy theories surrounding Obamacare seem to hold truth to them. For one the Anti-Obamacare Republicans shutdown the government over this issue. Ted Cruz who we talked about in a previous post criticizes Obamacare to criticize it. The problem with these tactics is that they misinform the public. It also delegitimizes some of the real problems with Obamacare. Like the 5% of people who will lose their already existing healthcare coverage because of Obamacare or the fact that people are choosing to pay fines instead of signing up for Obamacare. So while there could have been a sabotage campaign, Obamacare’s problems are legitimate.

8. Richard Ioannou

Conspiracies are one of my favorites topics to discuss and I do believe that Lee Harvey did not act alone. However, I do not think the conspiracy theories behind Obamacare are accurate. The difference between the Kennedy Assassination and Obamacare is that Kennedy was the only person who was murdered. With Obamacare, multiple people were affected by the events that happened and lost their health insurance. Since this situation affected multiple people, everyone is quick to say that their is a conspiracy going on because they are not getting what they want. Typically when you don’t get what you want, you blame others. However, I think there are many conspiracy theories that exist that could possible be true, including the government starting AIDS to control population and how there is a chemical in fluoride that dumb downs your brain so you can not outthink the government.

9. kerry stewart

I think that conspiracy is something our country deals with on a regular basis. I think that more than we as the people even know is part of government plans that we do not get to vote on or have a say in. I think that it is something we ignore as a nation because it can show the corrupt holes in our society and the people that run our country. The thought of conspiracy is intimidating and terrifying and I completely agree with Wendell Potter’s opinion that sabotage and destruction is a public relations tactic that the government has become quite familiar with.

10. Olga

In my opinion, the anti-Obamacare conspiracy is definitely a possibility. Wherever there is big money, or big politics, there will always be conspiracy, dirty PR technologies and unethical tactics in general. What surprises me, that Obama’s administration wasn’t prepared for such possible confrontation from the health insurers. Isn’t it obvious, that they don’t want to lose their money, and taking into consideration WHAT amount of money is at stake, they will do their best to keep status quo by fair means or foul.

11. acasole

Sabotage as a public relations strategy is something that seems completely crazy to me. Conspiracy theories always come up with many news stories and situations brought up in the media. These theories represent a question of the truth that is brought up about the story that will then exist in the back of people’s minds. Could this conspiracy theory be correct? Possibly. Do I believe this theory? Not necessarily. I only feel this way because I can’t see health insurance companies being able to get away with something so conniving and serious. I personally feel that the President is to blame for the issues with the website and that it is not a plan by insurance companies to sabotage the President. Although I personally feel that there is more to the Kennedy assignation, I do not believe in this conspiracy theory as well.

12. csawye2

Conspiracies are always in the back of peoples mind when things go wrong as it is easy to blame someone or something. I had never thought of “sabotage” to be a PR tactic as I would think it may backfire. The fact that the health care website crashed so dramatically it does make one think that someone in “high places” is sabotaging the website. I believe this is extremely unethical as PR professionals are suppose to help.

13. Reina Morison

It’s scary to consider the idea that insurance companies are strong enough to battle Obamacare in the way. I want to just say that the president and his crew did not plan for the volume of people that tried to log on, but at the same time, what are the possibilities of that happening? surely, they most have known that many American’s would log on. I know that there are many people against the idea of Obamacare and have done everything in their power to stop it, so there is high possibility that there are people out their conspiring against the presidents idea.

14. Laurel Smith

I think it’s very interesting that you bring up this point. Of all functions that PR encompasses, conspiracy tactics is not one that is normally thought of. However, reading what you have to say about the subject matter has me reevaluating certain situations as well.
    In terms of Obama Care, I’ve actually considered before that this cannot be as simple as people are making it out to be. In reality, how hard is it for a website to run smoothly, especially on such a regulated level. With the months of work put into the website, potential glitches would’ve been stamped out long ago.
    With all the speculation and hesitation that the plan went through, I would not be surprised if there was more to the story than what’s being told.
    As you’ve said before, the necessities for PR is vast. This includes covert operations that may leave people guessing for, potentially, decades to come.

15. Nathalie Salazar

I’m a little uneasy about the whole idea of conspiracies, however I do believe that there is a possibility that the insurance companies could be using PR tactics to botch the launch of Obamacare and its website. Or it could honestly be bad planning on Obamacare’s part. Either way, it would be completely unethical if insurance companies are using PR tactics to ruin the new healthcare act.

16. lmansl1

This is a very interesting thought that I believe could have some tread. In a world where nothing seems to work as planned I dismissed the thought that the healthcare website launch was a failure simply attributing it to disorganized government. Yet your post brings up a great point. How could the US government, the most powerful government in the world, fail so terribly at creating a website. While websites aren’t easy to create it seems hard to believe, thinking about it further, that a website made in one of the most powerful countries in the world in which nearly $70 million dollars were spent, could fail. I do believe this could be a conspiracy to diminish Obama’s credibility and point more fault at his policies.

17. Sharlys Leszczuk

I have been curious from the beginning of this whole issue how the president’s launching of a website could go so horribly wrong when he has so many people working for him who are the best in their positions. This post got me thinking that it could have been a conspiracy. I think that it was possible that someone in the tea party, perhaps, hired someone to hack into the site to make sure it malfunctioned. It could have also been someone within the Obama administration. It disgusts me that this is a possibility, but I believe that Obama had more than enough resources to ensure that the launching of this website was successful.

18. stacy05

Why not? I think it’s a grand possibility that it could be sabotage. Because we are dealing with rich company’s run by powerful people who only care about their own interests. The truth is when dealing with this kind of power, corruption gets involved and these people can easily get away with things. That is probably the same reason why we are still questioning half a century later the conspiracy behind JFK’s assassination.

19. Ishan Kumar

I personally don’t believe that conspiracies at this level are to be true otherwise the Obama administration must have spoken out. I strongly believe that one should not believe these theories blindly rather conduct research if possible. Regarding conspiracy theories there are many documentaries on YouTube on different issues which I believe can’t be ruled out at small levels but can not be true at national or international levels.

20. Nick Stiles

I don’t believe there is any sort of anti-Obama conspiracy going on. I think when it comes down to it the Obamacare bill just was not a good idea. Obama made promises about the bill which it does not deliver on and is now hurting more people than it is helping. Arguing there is an anti-Obama conspiracy is just an excuse for bad politics.

21. Ariana Goldklang

Conspiracies can be true or they can also be a huge lie. Lots of people do not always know who and what to believe with so many stories going on in the media. It is always possible that Obama was sabotaged, but it could also not be. It’s very easy to construct crazy stories that start buzz in the media.

22. Danie Zolezzi

The problem with conspiracies is that they’re very easy to construct and believe, however, nearly impossible to prove. The problems President Obama is facing with his health care reform seem all to convenient to be a coincidence. However, the Obama administration would be hard pressed to find evidence, without a shadow of a doubt, that this was all a scheme to sabotage his plan. However, whether it was a malicious act or pure chance, it does not change the attitude the public is beginning to feel about the Obamacare Act. The image of this piece of legislation is tarnished and is working double to fix itself.

23. Isabela Jacobsen

I definitely think that it is a possibility that Obama was being sabotaged. It doesn’t seem like just coincidence! I’m not very knowledgable in the conspiracy related field, but I think there is so much crazy stuff that happens behind our backs. It wouldn’t surprise me if this was all a conspiracy. The Kennedy assassination is definitely something we all want to know more about. I think there is a lot of untold information about President Obama and Kennedy’s situations.

24. Kim Gray

When it comes to conspiracy, the government’s name is written all over it. Nothing is accidental anymore when it comes to the government. There is always a purpose or motive. JFK’s assassination was definitely a conspiracy, because a lot of people during that time did not agree with his policies, which he promoted change and equality, so absolutely. Obamacare on the other hand, I do not know what to think anymore honestly. I really think that there are people in his administration that are against him and he doesn’t even know it. Coincidentally after the government reopened, the website is having functional problems. Oh the irony.

25. Dilpreet Kainth

When we think about conspiracy, especially when it is in regards to government, many of us are not necessarily surprised. When we analyze and describe decisions and methodology of the government, we wonder what exactly went into the thought process and background of the circumstances. However, when we think about conspiracy in terms of Obamacare, it is something that is highly possible. We have seen a corrupt government and government decisions in past circumstances. In regards to the assassination of JFK, the conspiracy theory is logical. Conspiracy is something that occurs very much, especially in government situations.

26. Emily J DiLaura

Although the idea may seems a bit paranoid, anything is possible. This would not be the first time that conspiracy’s over Obama have occurred as people constantly try to bring him down. Anything is possible, and Obama is an “easy target” being at such a high level leaving Potter’s ideas to be very questionably accurate. All i can say is I hope that Obama and his team on Obamacare can overcome it!

27. Lauren Platt

Although it is unfortunate to think that these conspiracy theory rumors could be true, it is still not something that I am so sure about. I don’t see how doing so is a good way to get PR recognition and I see no reason why anyone would do this. In the end it will only end up hurting them and just about everyone else.

28. Max Eisenberg

I have a very strong feeling that Obamacare failed due to conspiracy by both healthcare companies and possibly members of the Republican party. I have a heavy distrust of the American government and it would not surprise me if Obama was undermined in his attempts to put his plan forward, although I don’t think he did the best job of pushing his plan out in the first place. I’m a big supporter of social policies including social healthcare and feel that a big reason why Obamacare didn’t work was due to meddling of politicians and healthcare companies.

29. Brittany Witter

This week is a truly interesting blog topic! I am a firm believer in the JFK conspiracy stories, something about that situation as a whole does not sit well with me, nor does it make that must sense. In terms of an Obamacare conspiracy, I think there is a chance that members of the administration are working against the president. This act was unwanted by not only insurance companies but by many political figures. I do think there is with out a doubt a chance that there a conspiracy between political parties and insurance companies. Let’s all not pretend that America is not a money making country, we are and always have been. So when something comes along that will cost big business, and the upper class to lose money they will find anyway to stop it, so what is to stop them all from acting in a conspiracy plot? Nothing.

30. Laura Schioppi

Unfortunately, this theory could be true. Even though Obama is the President of the United States, their could be individuals that are sabotaging him and making their own decisions. We will never know the real truth behind closed doors. That is the point of PR, to make everything seem good even though there may be a conspiracy occurring. The public has to go along with the punches.

31. Jaime Silano

Before reading this blog post, I hadn’t entertained the idea of the Affordable Care Act’s struggle having anything to do with a conspiracy. It is clear that insurance companies are not supporting “Obamacare”, but I hadn’t considered the lack of popular approval of the act a direct result of unethical PR tactics by said insurance companies. However, I think it is perfectly possible that insurance companies conspired against the law. In the event that something being brought to legislation threatens the profit of powerful companies, capitalism will do all it can to triumph over the more liberal “equality-oriented” politics. I think the problem is that our political system and our economic system are in conflict. The gap is growing larger and larger and the Affordable Care Act is an example of an issue that has existed, and will continue to exist, in this country indefinitely.

32. Michael Yehuda

Normally, I usually don’t like to buy into conspiracy theories because it will just drive my mind insane and it will kind of give me fear that our government is onto something that they don’t want to tell us. Conspiracy theories have been roaming around for as long as I can remember, but some of them don’t make complete sense at all, for instance that the U.S. govt. had something to do with the 9/11 attacks or that the Connecticut School Shooting was made up and was only told because the media needed higher ratings, or something like that. Anyways, I never buy into them because I personally think they are all lies that people make up because they obviously have nothing better to do in their lives. Going on to the healthcare and the Kennedy conspiracies, I don’t believe any of it, I do believe that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone only because he was an insane freak that was obsessed with the Communist/Stalinist ideologies. However, the person who killed Lee Harvey Oswald has always been a mystery concerning his motive. I personally think he didn’t act alone and that it is possible that the C.I.A had something to do with it, but if that is so, why would they execute him? That is what really puzzles me! Now, to the Anti-Obama care conspiracies, I don’t believe that any of it is true. I believe like it says that the Obama admin did not look thoroughly enough through the website. I also believe that they were caught in surprise to see how many people will go on the website and they weren’t expecting that amount of people to check it out. The fact is that the Obama Admin needs to do a little more work on this new health care plan in order to prevent these mishaps from happening because no matter what the public will always turn its eye on the leaders of our country.

33. akrame27

I can’t make a definite decision as to whether or not the controversy towards the Obamacare website was in fact a conspiracy or not. However, often people will go to the ends of the world to try and sabotage something that they do not agree with. What really caught my attention after reading this post was the idea of sabotage being a PR tactic, that word does not seem to fit the vocabulary of the PR dictionary if you think about what is the definition behind public relations. Yet every industry has its “dark side” and people will do and react in crazy ways to get what they want.

34. Emily Green

After reading this blog, I think it is entirely possible that the failing Obamacare can b a conspiracy. People today are so good at sabotaging something they do not approve of, and it would not surprise me at all if insurance companies were trying to purposefully fail Obamacare. There is such controversy with the plan that I believe anything is possible, and I too find it hard to believe that Obama was lying about his plan. With the idea of a conspircacy, it is necessary that this is further investigated to get to the bottom of this. Until then, Obama is going to face a negative public image as well as the struggle of how to deal with it.

35. rachelcarru2

Although in a perfect world, PR professionals would be ethical and reliable all the time. This is not a perfect world and the PR industry is very cutthroat. I believe that it is possible that the ObamaCare launch could have been sabotaged. It isn’t realistic to believe that a government campaign that had been so anticipated and planned could have just flopped… especially THAT bad. Anti-Obama activists are frantic and will do anything to prevent him from achieving.

36. Adriana zappolo

I think this brings up a very good point. I didn’t even consider the possibility of a conspiracy theory surrounding Obamacare and the launching of the website, but it could be true. People will take extreme actions against something they don’t support just to see it fail.

Also, like others have been saying, I think that society is attracted to conspiracy theories because it gives us something to talk about and debate. People want to believe conspiracy theories because they are interesting and often out of the ordinary, and they also provide answers to unexplained questions.

37. tacost2

I don’t think there was any conspiracy theory regarding the Obamacare website. I have a strong inclination that this might have simply been a result of poor attention to detail and not thinking things through. Honestly, I do not believe that anyone could have had the time or patience to properly perform such a conspiracy. This, however, could not have been good for President Obama. On top of everything else a leader of a country has on his plate, this definitely could not have lightened the load.

38. Sarah ElSayed

Generally, I don’t believe in conspiracy theories of any kind. Although devious behaviors obviously happens behind the scenes in many companies, you can’t exactly be sure unless you’re a part of it, or if there is direct evidence of it happening. Whether Obama is being sabotaged or not, I will never know; so I’d rather not spend time losing sleep over if behind the scenes activities are going on. The facts are never truly transparent in politics, but the truth always comes out eventually, and when they do, whoever is meant to pay will.

39. VanessaV

I believe that conspiracy theories are something to take notice of. However, just like one of my classmates stated above, if you become too immersed in conspiracies you soon start to doubt everything. With that being said, after all of these weeks I am quite shocked that it’s taking this long to get the site functioning properly. Websites that get constant traffic like Facebook and Twitter have never had this much of a problem regarding their websites. While I’m not completely blaming a conspiracy, I believe that something is going on. I find It’s so hard to believe that the government would have such a hard time putting a website up that runs. I believe that maybe someone is trying to sabotage Pres. Obama’s healthcare.

40. Cody Dano

To be honest, I have never thought the failure of the Affordable Care Act as a conspiracy. Like was mentioned in the blog, tragic events such as the JFK assassination are more likely topics for a conspiracy theory. Now that it’s put in perspective though, a conspiracy seems entirely possible. It’s true that most, if not all, insurance companies would not want Obama’s healthcare to pass. Therefore what’s stopping them from sabotaging the launch. Until the problem with the website is solved, I say a conspiracy is possible.

41. marilynoliver

I’m always inclined to disregard conspiracy theories, I think if you go down that path it’s too easy to become suspicious of everything. As far as President Kennedy’s death, I don’t think it’s completely implausible for some one else to have been involved, but I also think that at that time the President had such little security (riding in an open convertible down a street surrounded by onlookers) that it was possible for only one individual to cause harm. Similarly, I’m sure some individuals or companies would have motives to impede Obamacare but from what I can speculate, Obamacare’s current lack of success is due to a “fumbled” execution.

42. Steve Jellinek

Although I did not initially suspect any sort of sabotage or conspiracy in the failure of the launching of Obamacare, I suppose it is highly possible. If these insurance companies both did not want Obamacare to be resolved as well as have been in the practice of canceling nonprofitable insurance policies, then this is a win-win for them. The insurance companies continue to profit by “trimming the fat” of unwanted policies and policy holders, while simultaneously gaining advantage over the President by undercutting his plans that they do not support. This may also be a coincidence, but it nevertheless is a very shady one.

43. cmadsenpr

Using sabotage as a PR tactic is definitely something that would happen in today’s society. I personally feel that today we focus a lot more on the negative in the world than on the positive if it keeps escalating it will turn into a popular tactic for PR. When you think about it, conspiracy theories create a big buzz about the particular thing happening, and gets a lot of attention surrounding the issue. I don’t personally think that Obama purposely sabotaged his own healthcare plan, because this is an initiative he has been working on for an extremely long time. If it were some sort of conspiracy theory, I think it’s horrible that our insurance companies that work under Obama’s leadership would be out to get him. He’s our President, we should have more respect for him than that.

44. Yeliz A

I never would’ve thought this whole Obamacare situation would be a conspiracy, nor did I ever connect public relations to conspiracy theories. Almost every conspiracy that I’ve ever heard of has come from word-of-mouth. People are attracted to secrets, especially secrets that the government is hiding. I personally do not think the president is the only one responsible for the policy problems because how could he lack foresight into something that he’s been using as a campaign tactic for all these years? It would seem more logical if disapproving and unhappy insurance companies sabotaged the whole policy. Their PR tactics and messages could have easily persuaded the public to go against Obama’s plan, especially for those who did not support it from the very start.

45. Alexandra Cohen

I don’t believe that there’s a conspiracy against Obamacare and the website. The company should have been prepared and ready to handle all the people going on to the website. Not enough people were evening signing up on the website. The government is always finding a way to take people’s money instead of fixing their problems. I also don’t believe that sabotage could be used as a PR tactic and it’s no way an ethical one and therefore shouldn’t be used at all. Concerning the conspiracy against President Kennedy, I don’t believe there was one. I believe that Lee Harvey Oswald didn’t act alone because it seems impossible for him to plan and take action all by himself and there’s no evidence that has been found to link another person to the shooting.

46. Julia Ryan

Conspiracy theories have been around forever, and I must admit, are extremely compelling. I personally enjoy looking into these theories (my favorite being the Paul McCartney conspiracy theory), as they provide an alternate lens to view a major event in history. These theories are usually entirely extreme and a bit anti-government. That being said, I think that is why they are so common–of course people are going to want to believe in an over-dramatic explanation for something terrible that has occurred.

However, I believe these theories should be regarded as nothing more than entertainment. I don’t believe this whole issue surrounding healthcare is a hoax on Obama’s end, nor do I think it’s a nasty trick set forth by the insurance companies. Despite their generally disapproving attitudes toward Obamacare, I can’t see insurance companies getting away with something that elaborate and conniving (I hope…).

47. Play Ball!

I think conspiracy theories tend to be a way for people to rationalize, justify, and explain things that are in fact simply unexplainable. Sometimes, people do terrible things, like shoot the president. Sometimes, websites fail for whatever reason – due to a high volume of traffic, a lack of data space for the websites content, etc. Sometimes, things just happen, and most of the time people cannot except that. They need some kind of explanation for the unexplainable. Conspiracy theories can be interesting and convincing, but that does not necessarily make them fact. That is why they are called conspiracy theories, not conspiracy facts.

48. Zoe Hoffmann

I think that most conspiracy theories are a little extreme. The website might not have been as well-thought out as intended, and could have crashed for a multitude of reasons. While I don’t think the launch was sabotaged, it has definitely challenged Obama’s credibility and created an abundance of negative publicity. I think healthcare providers and those against Obamacare have used propaganda tactics to try and influence people, but I don’t think that it was sabotage or a conspiracy.
    Conspiracies arise when people don’t have all the answers, or the answers aren’t what they want to hear. The Watergate scandal, 9/11, and countless high profile assassinations become the center of conspiracy theories because no one really knows what happened, or why. The theory that the American government planned the September 11th attack came to be because people thought the government was involved or had previous knowledge, and did not prevent the attacks. I personally do not believe conspiracy theories because they are usually based on a lack of facts, or misinformation. In regards to the Obamacare conspiracy, it just seems a little too implausible when so many other factors are involved.

49. Kelly Cormier

It is hard for me to believe that with all the hard work that Obama has put into the new healthcare plan that he has been lying all along. President Obama has expressed a great deal of passion about healthcare reform and to me, he does not seem like an unethical man. With the amount of opposition he has faced throughout his time in office, it is very easy to believe that the issues surrounding the new healthcare plan since its launch is a result of sabotage. Sabotage, especially in this case, while an unethical PR tactic could certainly prove to be an effective one.

50. Chelsey Fuller

It is really isn’t hard to believe that insurance companies could be sending out these letters just to sabotage the health care act. If people are dead set on trying to have something fail, they will do anything they can to see that the failure happens. Even though I’ve never thought about people conspiring to sabotage the act, I can definitely see it as something that can happen. Like many of these responses have said, insurance companies are all about the profit and could care less about who they hurt. It is a horrible tactic to use and just makes me trust insurance companies less. So i hope they enjoy their loss of business because they couldn’t get over their greed and personal views.

51. Adria Marlowe

It’s entirely conceivable that insurance companies have been strategizing ways to work around Obamacare since its inception – looking to take advantage of loopholes or flaws in the system for their own gain. Regardless, if the president cannot live up to his promise that people will be able to keep their insurance plans, members of his administration should be able to propose suitable solutions. Since it was clear from the onset that there were many opponents to the Affordable Care Act, part of the administration’s planning process should have included considering scenarios where the roll-out might be compromised (either externally or internally) and having solutions in mind to deal with potential crisis situations.

52. Brie

President Kennedy. President Obama. I never for a second thought that the Obama’s website was sabotaged because I have not watched or read the news and gotten enough information on he subject and because I thought that accidents happen and nothing is perfect. A site trying to be open to millions of people is bound to crash or have problems. I never thought of it to be a PR tactic.
    There are so many stories circulating around the assassination of JFK. I do not know if Lee Harvey Oswald was working alone because I’m still too busy thinking about all the crazy similarities between this assassination and Lincoln (it is possible to make connections between anything but it is is strange how any bizarre ones there are between these two).
    I know some people are not fans of Obama and his programs but I never thought they would try to sabotage his actions. But that is just me. But like Lyndi I am a bit torn now that Wendell Potter is talking about this because he is an experienced PR professional. Like she said anything is possible. All of this is just crazy to think about. I know there are so many insurance companies and the competition is rough but to physically sabotage another company?! That is crazy and unprofessional.

53. rachaeldurant

I could definitely see this happening. Insurance companies are despicable in their ethics. My youngest brother was born with a congenital heart defect that caused him to have open heart surgery at 3 months old. His insurance premiums are extraordinarily high, and would be, his whole life due to a “pre-existing condition”. Without this legislation, he could even be denied coverage for a condition that was mostly cured by surgery. I think it’s sad that their main focus is profit. I would not put it beneath them to botch the roll-out to try and swing support against the law.

54. Whitney Shepherd

I am not really in to conspiracies so I may not know much in this field. I do however think it is very possible that the insurance companies are canceling health care plans because they are not profitable under the new Obamacare act. I also do not think that sabotage is one of the numerous tactics in PR. I think if anything the President’s PR would be working even harder to recover from the complications with the health care site and working on reassuring the people that they will benefit from the new health care act.

55. Max N.

While there is undoubtedly enough of a hate machine against Obama to make something like this conspiracy happen I don’t think that is the explanation for the poor start of the Obamacare rollout. Although I’m not sure the theory is 100% untrue. I honestly wouldn’t put it past some of these healthcare providers so cancel patient’s coverage and blame the government.
    I don’t think there is one reason why the rollout has been a failure so far. It is likely a combination of multiple failures and the efforts of all those determined to see the law fail over time, but the likelihood of a full scale conspiracy I find unlikely.

56. willmartinez29

I am not sure if the controversy surrounding the Obamacare website is a conspiracy. If true, I think the tactic presents a reiterated theme in business today: a company’s decision to act in accordance to profits instead of the well-being of Americans. With the 2008 economic crisis revealing the hidden practices of big banks such as Goldman Sachs, Citibank, etc., it is apparent that high profits are the only thing on the minds of big businesses. If the Obamacare website conspiracy is in fact true, a real change is needed in the way American corporations do business.

57. Rachel Tyler

I do not think that there is a conspiracy against the Obamacare website. The problems it has had I think should have been foreseen and someone should have been in charge of the traffic on the website. This website is essential to the Obamacare Act so I think that it should have been built to take on large amounts of traffic without crashing. I do not think the time and planning that should have gone into this website was implemented. As far as President Kennedy’s assassination, it is hard to tell if there was a conspiracy or not. Although something like this does take planning and effort so who knows there could be more people behind it.

58. croyal13

I do not think there was a conspiracy theory on the obamacare website. I think the failure of the site was due to the lack of planning on behalf of the president. I also do not agree with this health care implementation and think there is this opposition because it is not a beneficial policy. However, I do not doubt that there was more to the Kennedy assassination. A conspiracy could very well have cobntributed to this president’s murder. I think with most historical events in America, people believe that there was more to it and that the disaster that happened was no accident.

59. Joe Flanagan

It is about time someone came forward and asked the questions that many americans have been thinking! My opinion is that Obama’s poor PR is the result of the health insurance companies using practices such as those you described. They were able to situate their actions perfectly by making Obama the scape goat, the healthcare law look like a policy that would hurt rather than help the American people, and a policy that has to be reversed.
    As a person who deals with insurance on a constant basis, I think the health insurance companies are a competitive monopoly that are holding the American people hostage. Although healthcare is a private good, in my opinion, health insurance is not. Every person has the right to healthcare coverage without costing them an arm and a leg (literally and figuratively).
    Once there is evidence to prove that the insurance companies are nothing but a bunch of money hungry crooks, the United States will be a better place, and President Obama will be able to revive his image. Until then, he is going to have to deal with the negative publicity.

60. Leia Schultz

President Obama must be feeling stressed in the wake of the website’s less-than-perfect launch. As his primary duty is to serve the American people, it must weigh heavy on his mind the difficulties that people are having. A conspiracy theory proven to be accurate about a sabotage of the website could ultimately result in a huge moment for Obama, especially in reinforcing his credibility and commitment to Americans. It is no secret that anti-Obamacare sentiment is common among health insurances providers, conservative politicians, and interest groups (Generation Opportunity’s creepy advertisements are unfortunately etched in my memory) – I would not be totally surprised if in the future it was confirmed that agents were working to interfere with Obama’s healthcare initiatives.

61. Lyndi Catania

I have never thought of sabotage to be a PR tactic. Although it is extremely unethical, it is still a way of getting the public to think and react in the manor that these insurance companies want. While there are a substantial amount of conspiracy stories relating to the assassination of President Kennedy, it’s hard for me to agree or disagree whether or not I think Obama was sabotaged as well. Being that this information is from Wendell Potter, a PR executive himself, it makes the situation more real. Anything is possible.