Semester apPReciation

28 Comments on Semester apPReciation

As another semester of learning ends, I’m appreciating the discoveries and lessons I’ve experienced this fall…

1) Students are amazing. I’m always impressed with my students’ energy, drive and focus. They’re part of a much-maligned generation, perceived to be coddled and entitled. But more often I see 18-22 year olds who participate in clubs and volunteer for multiple causes, and who are truly caring, accepting and appreciative individuals. Older students fill their incredibly busy lives with career and family while still finding time to enhance their knowledge and credentials. And they’re getting jobs. One example is that our last four PRSSA chapter presidents are now working in two New York City agencies: Hunter and Burson-Marstellar.

PRSSA members and me visited a NYC agency in October

PRSSA members visited a New York City PR agency in October

2) Professionals are cool. My students and I connected with so many helpful PR practitioners this semester through the PRSSA networking dinner, PRPLI’s holiday mixer, an agency visit, classroom guest speakers, the PRSSA national conference, and internships. Whether recently employed or PR veterans, these professionals provided students with priceless encouragement and advice.

3) Technology is hot. The more I teach current online and desktop public relations tools, the more I realize how much more there is to learn. Introduction of new platforms and software seem to know no end, and it’s a challenge to stay ahead of the curve. Educators have to be up to the challenge or fall behind their students’ own knowledge base.

4) Hofstra is high. We were all thrilled to learn that according to a new LinkedIn ranking system that measures career outcomes, Hofstra is the second best school in the nation for finding media jobs. This, combined with our School of Communication’s high retention rate, a growing number of students majoring in PR, and a burgeoning PR graduate program, makes Hofstra a great place to be. The Pride is high!

5) Commencement is coming. Next Sunday I’ll have the honor of serving as Graduate Marshal for the mid-year commencement ceremony. Watching students finally get their diplomas is very rewarding, and I love being part of one the most joyful days in their lives. So congratulations, graduates…you’re amazing! Your thoughts?

28 thoughts on “Semester apPReciation

1. Naima Shahab

Glad I came by this blog.
    The capital R in your ‘PRomises to myself’ post upset me until I took a closer look and now I must say, pretty interesting titles you have for your posts here.

2. Naima Shahab

Glad I came by this blog.
    About this one, I wanted to compile similar discoveries by year’s end. Not sure if I’ll be able to do it now, but if I do, my first discovery would be ‘teachers are amazing!’.

3. Danielle

This is my first semester here at Hofstra, and there is no doubt in my mind that it’s the perfect place to be as a PR major. Hofstra really does have an excellent program with amazing professors such as yourself. I’m really happy to hear about how much you admire your students. Not many people appreciate our generation, and it was very nice to hear the kind things you had to say about us. We work really hard to impress our intelligent mentors. I hope you have a good break, and congratulations on being the Graduate Marshal this year!

4. Areanna Rufrano

This has been a very busy but advantageous semester for me. I have had the opportunity to network with current professionals and explore the many beneficial experiences Hofstra has to offer. I am very grateful for all of the educational and social achievements Hofstra has earned and I am looking forward to what next semester has in store.

5. Vanessa Felder

My first semester in grad school has been very rewarding. I have learned so much about the industry and what it takes to be successful. It was nice to meet students with similar ambitions and goals like myself. I am so happy to be here and appreciate the encouragement and support I receive from my professors. I look forward to Spring semester.

6. elizah9

After the final tomorrow, I can officially say that I have completed my first public relations class and I must say it was a joy. There were numerous times when my writing skills were put to the test and I am grateful for that. As I go on to the advance public relations courses, I am delighted to say that this class has helped me strengthen skills I thought I never had and has given me a true passion for public relations.

7. Gia Palomo

This really has been a semester full of learning! I went to so many opportunities that increased my network. I realized how willing and helpful professionals are to help the younger generation. Im proud to say that im glad to go to hofstra and in terms of technology, PR in general has taught me how far the reach of social media can be. Im glad to have taken your class and am looking forward to learning so much more about PR.

8. michaela marano

For me, this semester went by particularly faster than the one’s before. Perhaps because I was keeping busy or maybe its just a side effect of getting older. But I can’t thank you enough, Professor Morosoff, for such a great semester and rewarding introduction to my future profession. PR100 and your class requirements forced me to network and make connections, something that I should be doing on my own, but thank you for that extra push. PRSSA’s field trip was one of the most rewarding things I have done this semester and wouldn’t have gotten the opportunity without the help of PRSSA’s board members and you! The opportunities and connections that come out of Hofstra University are truly one of a kind.

9. Rebecca Costa

I cannot believe I am already halfway through my sophomore year of college. I can say after this semester I have also made some discoveries and learned some lessons. I can most relate to numbers two and four that you pointed out in this post. Professionals are cool. This semester I made a LinkedIn account, attended a networking dinner and got to visit a PR agency in NYC…something that I would never have been able to do a year ago. It was all insightful and really got me excited for the future, slowly but surely becoming a PR student. The other exciting discovery: Hofstra is high. It is awesome to go to a school with such national accreditation in the field that I am studying. This semester has me excited (and a little nervous) to move forward and see what spring semester has to offer!

10. Jennifer Im

My peers fill me with wonder and awe all the time. Whether on my Facebook feed or in class, they constantly demonstrate how much we can achieve now. One of my friends has already modeled for a magazine, put out her own album, conducted research and presented at a conference, and so much more. These active individuals constantly inspire me to present my best effort at all times in all aspects of my life be it in academics, my hobbies, or my social life. They prove that nothing is impossible and that the only limit is the one you put on yourself.

11. Erik Freitas

I have to agree that all students really are amazing. It takes a lot to embark on a 4+ year journey, only to be launched into the professional world immediately after. It is no secret that Hofstra is a great school for communications majors, and a great place to come from when heading out into the media world. Hofstra’s clubs and organizations have always had a track record for producing awesome networks of people who help each other out in the long run, and for that, I am thankful.

12. nicole_lombardo

Students really are amazing, I have to agree! This is my last year at Hofstra and in May I will be graduating. I have begun to reflect on my time here and all the experiences I have had the honor of receiving because of Hofstra. I began my college career as a Political Science major, after a week in one class I knew it wasn’t for me so I began to search Hofstra for basically my future. I looked into Global Studies and the business school but nothing was really catching my eye, that is until I found the school of Communication. The School of Comm. truly has opened my eyes to a whole new world. I am so grateful that I was lucky enough to find a school at Hofstra that I really enjoy and is absolutely exceptional. I have gained so much knowledge and have had the opportunity for so many great experiences and I owe it all to Hofstra and their School of Communication.

13. danielle32493

The School of Communications at Hofstra has been nothing but amazing to me this past 4 years. I was stuck between going to St. Johns and Hofstra but know I made the right choice for so many reasons. This is shown through our LinkedIn rating, small class sizes and the school’s amazing connections to the industry. I cannot wait to pursue a career in Public Relations next year and owe this to my wonderful professors. I would also like to thank you Professor Morosoff for being such a knowledgeable professor. PR 106 has taught me so many useful skills that can be carried over to a future job!

14. bibianabogues

This has been a great semester for me! Although it came with a few new challenges I’ve learned a lot. I loved taking PR100 and I’ve learned so many new things that I can apply in the future. I think what makes me love these PR classes so much is the idea that I’m going to use everything I learn in my future career, it’s really exciting too me. I’ve enjoyed all of the opportunities I’ve gotten, such as visiting a PR agency in New York City and the Networking dinner. I hope to become more involved in PRSSA next semester. I’m exciting for the PR classes and semesters to come!

15. Deana Meccariello

With this being my very first semester of graduate school, I must say I have learned alot. I have learned to balance my work, personal and school life while still enjoying myself. I am very happy I chose to pursue a a master’s degree in public relations. I feel even as a part-time student taking one class I have already gained so much knowledge applicable to my job. It was a great semester.

16. Courtney Zanosky

It has indeed been a good semester. I have definitely learned a lot and am excited for break and the spring semester. This semester has made me very happy to be at Hofstra in such a great school and program!

17. kcormi2

This has been a great semester! As my last semester approaches this spring I have become so appreciative to have found such a great program at Hofstra. I never knew anything about PR before my freshman year here, but I am so glad I found it. Every professor I’ve had in the school of comm. has been wonderful and taught me so many valuable lessons, but most importantly they have made me look forward to my career instead of being afraid of what’s to come.

18. Felicia Colavito

As I approach the final days of my last fall semester as an undergraduate, Hofstra has once again provided me with an amazing experience. I entered this semester very confused about where I wanted to be after graduation, whether it be grad school, working in PR, or maybe even considering a different career path. However, after so many opportunities and guidance from professors, I am in a very great place and in love with PR. Over the course of the semester, I attended the Communications Career Fair for the first time, and was able to network with so many different companies. I also attended a networking dinner where I learned so much from so many different professionals. However, my biggest achievement was landing an internship for the spring semester and I cannot wait to start!
    Hofstra and professors, like Professor Morosoff, have so much to offer students. Hofstra is the second best school in the nation for finding media jobs for a reason, and we can thank our amazing professors for that. This semester has taught me so much, and PR Tools has been my favorite PR class thus far. Thank you for all that you do for us, and congratulations on being the Graduate Marshal for the mid-year commencement- You deserve it!

19. sweety1!

20. Natalia Dutt

This was a fantastic semester. I feel like I have had more opportunities and more fun than any other semester. (besides my one in Ireland) I learned a ton about a field I previoiusly new nothing about so that was pretty amazing!

21. Ashley P.

I loved reading this blog post because it perfectly described this semester! This was my first semester taking PR classes, and I really enjoyed learning about the PR world and relating it to what I am learning in my editing and publishing classes. I also really enjoyed all the networking opportunities we had, especially the networking dinner. It was really great to see how what I am studying now could play out in the future.

22. Jessica Braveman

This has been a wonderful semester! It’s been wonderful to see how much we’ve been able to accomplish with PRSSA. Between the incredible experience at the National Conference and the record turnout for the Networking Dinner, I have never been more proud of our chapter. It was such an honor to learn that I was a student at the number two ranked school for media professionals. Having switched majors after freshman year, I’m thankful to have been given the opportunities that I have, and I’m certainly glad that I switched. Congrats on being the Graduate Marshal!

23. Doug Gillies

This was my first graduate school semester and it has been an eye opener. It really is difficult to keep up with work school, family and friends. The hardest part is getting back into the swing of school work and forcing myself to allow time for homework and reading. All the things my parents have been telling me since I was a kid are proving to be true, it’s important to read because the more I know the better. It’s been a great semester and I can’t wait for the next.

24. mconno25

This semester has been the most challenging for me, but definitely the most rewarding! I was given the chance to be a part of amazing opportunities that really exposed me to the PR industry. The combination of PR classes, my well-known internship and especially the Networking Dinner I was really able to network myself and figure out what I liked and disliked about PR. Also the fact that Hofstra’s School of Communication is ranked number two for best school for media professionals made networking a lot easier. I believe that my resume is impressive, but since Hofstra University is ranked number two, it puts me at a higher value than others. Being a part of the Pride family now and forever will definitely take me a long way.

Congratulations to all the graduating seniors next week and congratulations to you for being the Graduate Marshal this year!

25. meghanazralon

As a transfer student, I can easily say Hofstra is a great school when it comes to communicating to students and the professors here are unbelievable. I had a great semester and it really was all thanks to the wonderful professors and students that attend the university. The connections Hofstra has in the world of PR is outstanding and very helpful and I am completely grateful that I have all of it are my fingertips.

26. Lyndi Catania

I loved reading this blog post! I had a great semester in PR 106 and definitely learned a lot. I went to many beneficial events this semester and I am eager to begin my internship next semester. Congrats on being the Graduate Marshal! I will be watching the ceremony.

27. Sarah Lopez

This has definitely been a great semester! It was filled with tons of opportunities for students to get involved and learn more about the PR industry. In terms of new technology, it was great that we were able to explore new tools in class that I have never heard of before. Those tools will definitely come in handy in the future! I am also incredibly proud to be a student at The Lawrence Herbert School of Communication, which was ranked number two for best schools for media professionals. I think the school has a lot to offer and is a helping hand in helping us become the best professionals we can be. Lastly, congratulations on being the Graduate Marshal for commencement this year!