That awful "sPin" woRd

“spin” (public relations) — In public relations, spin is a form of propaganda, achieved through providing an interpretation of an event or campaign to persuade public opinion…While traditional public relations may also rely on creative presentation of the facts, “spin” often implies disingenuous, deceptive and/or highly manipulative tactics. — Wikipedia

As a PR teacher and practitioner, it upsets me terribly when I see the awful “spin” word used to describe our profession. Yet, “spin” remains front-of-mind when people think of public relations. Sadly, “spin” and PR have been linked for a long time.

The first known use of “spin” as related to story-telling appeared in 1812 in James Hardy Vaux’s A new and comprehensive vocabulary of the flash language, describing when sailors would go about, “yarning or ‘spinning’ a yarn, signifying to relate their various adventures, exploits, and escapes to each other.”

Bernays biographer Stuart Ewen

Media and culture historian Stuart Ewen

“Spin” re-emerged around 1980 when the terms “spin doctor” and “spin control” became closely associated with politics. In 1996, Stuart Ewen wrote a best seller titled, “PR! A Social History of Spin.” Larry Tye followed up with “The Father of Spin: Edward Bernays and the Birth of Public Relations.” And just a year ago, an article by Cheryl Connor appeared in Forbes with the headline, “The Death of ‘Spin’ (Will it Kill the Future of Public Relations?)” She wrote, “In many people’s minds, the world of PR is the world of spin. Next to hired assassins or hackers, perhaps, PR is often considered the world’s most ungodly career.”

Stuart Ewen, now a distinguished professor at Hunter College, will be lecturing on March 25 at the Museum of Public Relations on the legacy of Edward Bernays. I hope he’ll take the opportunity to explain–and denounce–the use of the word “spin” in his book’s title. It’s disparaging and disrespectful to those who practice PR ethically.

Thomas Hoog, former CEO of Hill+Knowlton, told participants at PRSSA’s national convention in October, “In PR, we’re all about truth. There’s no place for ‘spin’ in our profession.” As students and practitioners, let’s find ways to forever expunge the association of “spin” and PR. Your thoughts?

58 thoughts on “That awful "sPin" woRd

1. Jazmin Corrine Quinci

During the fall semester, Professor Norman corrected me when I used the word “spin”. He said we don’t ever use spin! Before starting the program, as much as I hate to admit this, I thought spin was a common response used during a crisis after seeing how much governments use spin to avoid addressing issues within their countries (i.e. human rights violations). A case in point is President Bush’s administration and the Pat Tillman debacle. I thought spin was not just lying but conveniently leaving out key facts. Now it’s clear how detrimental spinning stories are to reputations. It would be a great if the mass public understood that public relations work is about transparency and not lies. Unless someone makes the distinction between PR professionals’ use of transparency versus spin, such misconceptions will remain.

2. lhk1329

Its such a shame that PR professionals still have to be associated with words like “spin”. As stated below, it definitely starts in the classroom. The more educated PR pros are about how to stay away from spin the less likely they are to circulate it in the world.

3. squiro1

When I was initially thinking about coming into college as a PR major I remember having my doubts because I had been aware of the idea of PR specialists “spinning” a story and I did not want to be involved in such an act. The more people I spoke to who were knowledgeable in the field, the more I understood that this idea was a stereotype of PR itself. I believe that as time goes on PR is slowly but surely making a better name for itself in the corporate world.

4. Candace

Although “spin” has a negative connotation, I believe that if we redefined the term it could really explain what we do. As PR professionals, we take the information we are given and build it into a campaign that tells the tale that we want the consumer to feed into. It isn’t entirely “spinning” per se, but it is building a story, like the sailors did. We take the information that we have received and turn it into something an onlooker would be interested in. We are guilty of using floral language and pulling the most interesting facts to the top of the story in order to grab the reader. When a sailor tells a story of his journey he doesn’t spend twenty minutes detailing a calm night at sea. He pulls out the interesting details — the 12 pound fish he caught, the roaring seas when a storm blew through — to catch your attention and pull you in. I don’t believe that “spinning a tale” is totally negative, as long as the yarn you are spinning is made of truth and facts.

5. Cheyenne Padgett

I feel that the fewer people who use spin the less it will be associated with the professor. This begins in the classroom. How people are taught to do their job. I think It is great that we have a program here at Hofstra that teaches us the moral way to do our job. It makes me wonder how many schools do not do this…

6. kenpow2012

In all of the PR classes I’ve took at Hofstra, the topic of the word spin being associated with the public relations profession has always been mentioned. from what i have learned these last couple of years is that, describing the Public relations profession using the word spin is very disrespectful to the craft. That word brings a negative characteristic to a great profession and should not be used.

7. Vanessa Winters

Great blog – and pertinent to us in Britain at the moment. I think spin is particularly associated with political PR – especially here in the UK. With the forthcoming General Election, the tendency of the media to conflate ‘PR’ with ‘spin doctor’ is becoming increasingly common. However, I’ve been disappointed to see how many of our politicians (and presumably their PR advisors!) don’t make the most of the opportunity afforded by social media to actively engage in two-way dialogue to both challenge this perception, and to generate a more active debate around political communication. Certainly here in the UK, there is still a tendency to revert to the comfort blanket of ‘tell’ rather than ‘talk’ – even on channels specifically designed to facilitate social engagement. Still some way to go to challenge the old ways of working and encourage both our politicians, and their PR practitioners, to truly refute the accusation of spin by engaging in genuine two-way dialogue.
    Vanessa

8. williamekanem

To successfully stop associating “spin” and PR is the moral responsibility of practitioners,
    As respected as the practice may be, activities of some practitioners is a serious cause for concern. When practitioners don’t imbibe the ethics of the profession, “spin” would continue to rear its ugly head.
    There are still people, especially chief executive officers who see the role of the PR staff as that of cleaning the mess, and however the practitioner goes about it doesn’t really matter.
    Until practitioners learn to stand their ground and REFUSE to carry out the “spin” role, we cannot fight the “spin” monster successfully.
    It’s up to us practitioners.

9. Karisa Newkirk

Before I really knew anything about PR I called publicists “professional liars” because in TV shows and movies that is how they are presented – covering up a situation and lying to make it better. It is so funny to me that i’ve learned, from taking classes, that it’s not that at all and it’s sad that PR is seen as manipulative.

10. Michele Colletti

It saddens me to know that people associate public relations with the term “spin.” This is my first semester learning about public relations and I’ve already learned how far from the truth that is so to have people writing books about the association of public relations and spin is amazing. I hope that in the near future the public comes to realize that public relations professionals are honest and are there to tell the truth to the public.

11. NMendes1

I think it is so interesting to learn the history of a word, and how the meaning morphes through the decades. I have always had a negative perception of the word and i cannot recall hearing it in a postitive connotation. The fact that i can admit this is horrible. I think it is imperative for us as PR people to work very hard to facilitate in the understanding of the word. Good PR doesn’t rely on spin to share the story with the public. People outside of the PR world need help understanding that we too have a code of ethics we follow.

12. Grace Finlayson

The word “spin” puts a negative light on the career of public relations. When people ask me what I want to do with Public Relations I always try to inform them that there are many different positions in the Public Relations world and that there is not only one type of PR. This is because people who are not studying to become a PR professional see it as a job to make bad look good in ways that are deceptive, and that is remarkably wrong.

13. elizah9

I find this blog very interesting because this is my second semester having you as a professor and you have always expressed your anger towards the word “spin” being associated with public relations. When I first started taking public relations courses, I was almost certain that spin had a lot to do with the profession. I am now aware (thanks to you) that public relations is a profession that does not tolerate anything related to spins because they are unethical. I am happy that you wrote this article because it is very common for people; especially students to misunderstand what public relations practitioners do for living.

14. Katherine Hammer

Since I started taking PR classes here at Hofstra, I have known that “spin” and PR are never to be used together, and rightly so; PR is not spin. However, ever since I started telling people that PR was my major, many of them use the word “spin” when they try to confirm that they know what my profession will be. It upsets me that people have this thought in their heads and do not let me explain that PR is the exact opposite of spin. It is also upsetting because “spin” is also associated with lying. I enjoy PR greatly, and I believe it is an excellent and positive profession. I think it would be very interesting to see what Stuart Ewen has to say about this profession, almost 20 years after writing his book on public relations, when he speaks at the museum of public relations.

15. Sarah Holzberg

When I hear the term spin I think of lies of bending the truth. People confuse public relations with lying to protect their clients. It is our responsibility as the new generation to stop that mindset.

16. Dan Schaefer

In a world filled with more and more scandals, it makes the use of “spin” much more common. I believe that if we continue to be a country filled with controversy, PR will continue to be associated with “spinning.”

17. Jennifer Im

In the time I’ve spent learning about PR at Hofstra, my professors have worked hard to steer me clear of anything even remotely resembling “spin”. In a career that depends on credibility and integrity, I’m not sure how PR and “spin” are still so closely linked. At the very least, Hofstra graduates will possess a vital understanding of how detrimental and deplorable the practice can be.

18. Tamara Russo

Ideally, the idea is to educate and teach young PR professionals about what the negative effects of using spin can do in their profession. Realistically, there’s no way every PR class at every university will do that. While the word may die out in the professional word of PR, the public is still open to say what they feel and how they feel, further fueling the word.

19. Marissa Slattery

If an individual acts with integrity, that will always show through. Unfortunately, there are many people in the PR profession who do not act with integrity…that said, there are individuals in every field of practice who lack a moral compass pointing due north. Ironically, often when people and corporations find themselves in a messy situation, they often turn to PR practitioners for help. I do find it interesting that the word “spin” is only given a negative connotation when referring to the practice of PR. Even more interesting is the idea that a profession which often tries to better the image of its clients can’t rid itself of its own nasty image.

20. Andrew Manning

It wasn’t until I starting tell people I was going for my M.A. in PR that I started to get an idea of the negative stereotypes associated with it. Everyone has heard of “spin doctors”, but I just assumed most people understood this image (the protagonist of Thank You For Smoking being a hilarious example) couldn’t be further from the average PR Practitioner. Every profession has practitioners who abuse their position; there are journalists who engage in “spin” and corruption as well. PR, however, seems to be singled out as being particularly overrun by these people, which is as you pointed is just offensive to anyone who knows anything about how it actually works.

21. Vanessa

Isn’t it too late to try and change societies view and/or understanding of the PR field when it comes to spin? I feel that society has been conditioned to believe PR professionals as half-truth tellers for so long, that getting them to understand what practitioners really do and stand for would be impossible – especially when you consider that some PR practitioners do spin and see it as a necessary evil.

22. javendaily

The world of public relations is misunderstood and it is our responsibility to be as transparent as possible throughout our careers to change negative perceptions about the industry. I still have a difficult time explaining to people the real purpose of public relations because the concept of “spinning” information is engraved in their minds. I have to admit, in the beginning I also associated public relations with this word since it is so often used in the media, television and films. PR is far from an ungodly career as Cheryl Connor said. I’ve learned in all of my PR classes that in order to be successful it is important to stay honest and expose the facts. It will take time, but the public relations industry is growing and people will begin to respect the profession much more.

23. Cass Lang

Spin is a word that I don’t see disappearing any time soon. This is something a majority of the general public believes that we do. (Which is why I’m extremely glad that we are taught not to use the word.) “Spin” is even referenced in pop culture. For example, I watch the TV show Scandal and they have used the term in reference to dealing with the many PR ‘scandals’. To be fair, the show is often crossing moral/ethical boundaries and the word is fitting for most of its characters’ actions. In the real world, the term ‘Spin’ is often used in the wrong context to describe ethical PR tactics. Because of its negative connotation, I don’t believe that PR professionals who would like to succeed in the field should be using the term “spin” to describe their work.

24. Rachel Massaro

The part that upset me most about this article is that PR is an “ungodly” career. It is so much more than that and is based solely on the facts. It’s very sad that the word spin has had such a negative connotation on PR professionals for decades and unfortunately I don’t see it completely going away any time soon. All that we as future PR professionals need to focus on is doing our jobs correctly and hopefully the generations to come will see the job as accurate and truthful.

25. adearlove

Unfortunately the word “Spin” has such a negative connotation to it in PR. I personally do not see the harm in using the term, however constant “spinning” on negative things your campaign is involved with will only solidify that negative term in your audiences head. Be positive and avoid spinning negative things to make your product/campaign to look better and the negative stigma will go away

26. Kimberly Minto

Public Relations has been plagued with the reputation of spin, for decades. I’ll be honest, before taking this class, I thought that PR was about spinning. I learned how wrong my assumptions were and the true meaning of PR. The truth about PR needs to be brought to public attention, but there is still a long way to go before the public believes in it again

27. Nicholas Mazzarella

Professor Morosoff:

It’s unfortunate that those who have practiced public relations unethically have created a stigma that’s attached to the whole profession. In my opinion, the best way to remove “spin’s” association with PR is to uncover those who aren’t being entirely truthful. Although this example pertains more to journalism, Brian Williams was exposed and – at least for six months – is out of journalism. People might begin to trust PR more if the field rids itself of unethical practitioners. I’m curious as to what Stuart Ewen will say about his decision to use the word “spin” in his book’s title.

-Nick Mazzarella

28. Taylor Lawrence

I feel that generizing the world of PR with the word spin is completely misleading and disrespectful to people of the career, who spend long hours trying to figure out how not to spin a story. Spinning information comes from a lack of morals and more or less anything good to say about the situation. A PR person with good morals should never be put under the umbrella of a spinner. There are many different types of people out there, the ones who do their job correctly should be recognized for doing so.

29. Heather Lanci

It’s upsetting that even a professional feels the need to use the term “spin” for an occupation he knows so well. He uses the word as a stand in for the phrase public relations. I think that to get people to understand that PR isn’t about spin, and is supposed to be about the truth, professionals should stop using the word as a substitute for the occupation. It’s up to PR people to remove “spin” from their vocabulary, so people begin to realize that we’re focused on truth, not some specific take on the truth.

30. jheiden1

I’ve never understood the need for spin. I’m so glad that people, for the most part, choose the higher path of ethical decision making. Negative public relations perceptions come from the few writers and practitioners who ruin it for everyone. People who spin give PR a bad name. I hope one day everyone will understand the necessity for PR and the goodness it can create.

31. hatcherphoto

I think that spin is something that is very much like other social issues that we are dealing with in our lives, in order for it to go away, we have to stop talking about it. Merely by bringing it up, we are making life difficult for ourselves, just like how we don’t put our competition’s names in press releases. I think that this would be the perfect solution, but unfortunately, we live in a society where everything is talked into ditches, and is quite frankly infuriating.

32. Daylen Orlick

The word “spin” definitely has a negative connotation and should not be used. The very first thing we were told in our PR class was to never ever use the term “spin.” Our job as PR professionals is not to spin or alter anything it’s to get the truth out. Along with the word “propaganda” the word “spin” just makes people view it as negative.

33. Nicole Romeo

The word ‘spin’ definitely has a negative connotation in the profession of public relations. Like you said above, “It’s disparaging and disrespectful to those who practice PR ethically” and to this statement I agree 100%. Yes there are people out there who do not do their job truthfully but that should not reflect back on those who do do their job ethically. I think people who are quick to judge about the profession of public relations simply don’t know much about the profession and make up their own definition about what public relations people actually do.

34. keyanamichelle13

The other day at my internship I heard one of the employees use the word spin during a business meeting with a client and I had to stop what I was doing for a moment because I couldn’t believe that word was being used at all, let alone in front of a client. “Spin” means lying and lying is not good public relations. If you’re truly good at what you do you shouldn’t have to “spin” anything.

35. Deana Meccariello

I would say “spin” is synonymous, not with public relations in general, but with bad public relations practitioners. IE: When you make weak excuses for your client rather than help them rehabilitate their negative image.

36. Taylla Smith

One of the first concepts I learned in my first PR class was that “spin” should not be in the vocabulary of any credible public relations practitioner. The world brings negativity into the craft of public relations. Not to mention, it is in basic terms, lying. As a public relations professional, it is not okay for practitioners to twist and stretch the truth from the public. This kind of activity blatantly goes against what public relations is about and the mission they stand for. However, I also think that it is great that there are professionals working to get the word “spin” out of everyone’s mind and mouth. With this change, public relation professionals can only grow and improve.

37. Rock(Shi Yan)

In today’s society, PR is absolutely everywhere and everyone could use a thing. Almost every person or group need Public relations to solve the problems. No matter the “spin” is good or bad, it’s already there, the most important thing is not Spin itself, it should be everyone should do their own.

38. gabriellefurman

I think that as students who want to go into the PR industry we want to avoid as much “spin” as possible. As I have learnt in my other PR class, spin could be used in different contexts. It could mean having a potential problem with a client or having a different interpretation of something. For example, a company wanted customers to share their stories of positivity about their experience with them, but instead it turned into sharing the problems that they had with that company. In the public relations industry we have to very clear and articulate about what we want to do to avoid “spin.”

39. gabriellefurman

I think that as student who want to go into the PR industry we want to avoid as much “spin” as possible. As I have learnt in my other PR class, spin could be used in different contexts. It could mean having a potential problem with a client or having a different interpretation of something. For example, a company wanted customers to share their stories of positivity about their experience with them, but instead it turned into sharing the problems that they had with that company. In the public relations industry we have to very clear and articulate about what we want to do to avoid “spin.”

40. Jenn Pizzurro

One thing I have learned in my time at Hofstra University’s PR program is that PR professionals always tell the truth. It is important for PR professionals to be credible. I feel that some can be confused with advertising, which has the freedom to falsify.

41. Christina Michael

People usually associate PR with the word “spin” which has a negative connotation. PR works hard to present their clients in the best way possible to the public using factual information about the client but also acknowledges when the client has made a mistake and will make an effort to fix it and apologize to the public. When practiced ethically, PR does not “spin” the information or mislead the public. I think PR would have a much better reputation if it wasn’t associated with the word “spin”.

42. gluisi

I have never before learned the history of “spin”. I think that with the information it is our job not to let history repeat itself. we need to be a new generation that shows the world just how much truth PR professionals put forth. PR is all about promoting your client in the best way possible, there is no need or room for “spin” in that.

43. afairc1

Many people don’t know what public relations truly is, which is a problem because we the technology generation which means we have constant resources to find information. I think “Spin” is used in a negative way because we constantly see people “spinning” stories to fit their needs whether its the truth or not, especially in the entertainment industry. Since we see the word used so negatively in the line of work we automatically associate it as a negative term universally.

44. Abby Drapeau

I never knew the historical background of spin, and it’s weird to think that professionals, like Stuart Ewen, would use the word spin. It’s upsetting to hear that others refer to public relations as an ungodly career, when we’re required to learn about the ethics of media and throughout our pr courses we’re taught to never spin the truth. One of my professors instilled in all of us one semester that all we have is our word, and if people can’t trust it, then you’re out of a job.

45. Jen O'Malley

It isn’t hard to figure out why people would associate the term “spin” with PR. Although it is unethical, there are definitely numerous practitioners who rely on this method to do their jobs. I think that there is a difference between focusing on the positive or attempting to turn a bad situation into a good one, and being flat out deceitful. This is why ethics in PR is so important. It is easy to take the unethical route when faced with very challenging problems to solve. What practitioners must keep in mind is that our profession is called public RELATIONS. Building any sort of relationship relies on trust and honesty. Therefore, “spin” has no place in this profession. That’s not to say that practitioners who exaggerate, falsify, and lie don’t get their jobs done. But, that’s nothing to be proud of in my opinion. There IS a right way to be successful in PR, and that’s the ethical way.

46. Nicholas Taddeo

It is upsetting to me that PR gets a bad reputation and I believe it begins with misinformed people making a false connection to spin and PR. Nonetheless, time heals all, and even the worst reputation can eventually fade. It is important that in the interim, us students and practitioners shouldn’t let the false judgments affect our work.

47. geow1

“When we do right, nobody remembers. When we do wrong, nobody forgets.”

In all honesty, every profession/organization has received flak for the misconceptions generated by ill-founded assumptions and the lack of better understanding. While certainly most PR practitioners are labeled as “spin” masters, I find it curious as to how other professions have managed to escape this form of accusation. Then again, we should not start pointing fingers but instead remain ethically steadfast. There will always be constant streams of criticisms. It is up to us, students and professionals of PR to rectify that misconception through our good work and in time, we can alter the public perception of this profession.

48. msvonne88

Thank you for posting this information, although I have been familiar with the negative connotation of the word “spin”, I never knew the history behind it. As a public relations practitioner, I believe it is our duty to practice ethically so that we can phase this word out.

49. carsoncuevas

Like others, I did not know the negative meaning of the word “spin” until taking this class. Now that I do, I find it sad that there are so many professionals in this business and other industries that really believe PR professionals lack truth in their work. In our journalism and PR classes, the importance of ethics is continuously hammered into our minds as what should be the umbrella over all of the work we do in communications. Reading the line, “Next to hired assassins or hackers, perhaps, PR is often considered the world’s most ungodly career,” is discouraging, however, this just means we all have to continue to step up our game and prove people wrong with the content we put out.

50. nnicolegd

Since there are those who practice PR ethically, it’s a shame that PR has become synonymous with the term “spin.” Despite PR’s deeply rooted association with the term, it will be difficult for its dissociation, though not impossible. As students, PR professionals, and practitioners, we must use PR to change PR. Though public relations can often be labeled as deceptive and/or manipulative, it’s is a gross generalization that shouldn’t define the profession as whole.

51. rebeccaanncosta

I didn’t know the meaning of “spin” and its negative connotation with PR until I took my first PR class! People who don’t understand public relations make a lot of false assumptions, and the use of spin happens to be one of them. As long as we continue learning that “there is no place for ‘spin’ in our profession,” eventually, and hopefully, spin won’t be a word associated with PR.

52. Rachel Tyler

My first PR class taught me “spin” is not something we want to associate with. It is almost discouraging when people view public relations as spinning the truth because that has a negative reputation, which gives the practitioners negative reputations. As practitioners we work hard to find the truth and create positive images. This is something I find to be the opposite of “ungodly” as some call the career. I think that today PR is moving towards a more positive image and i think that is due to the fact that teachers are informing their students to stay away from “spin.”

53. memlano1

I feel like many people are misinformed about what public relations truly is and they resort to believing the negative associations about the industry that you listed. In every industry, from PR to finance, there will be individuals who are unethical or dishonest, but that should not represent the industry as a whole. As you have said in class, respectable practitioners of PR never lie or “spin” stories, and I feel like many people outside of the industry do not realize this. I hope Stuart Ewen clarifies his use of the word “spin” in the 21st century.

54. Paulina Zaferiou

Turning PR into nothing more than “spin” is insulting to the PR practitioners that word so hard day in and day out to make their clients look good. A good PR professional doesn’t have to rely on spin to tell a story or get information to the public. It hurts to hear people say that PR is as “ungodly” a career as being a hired assassin or a hacker. People who think PR is just spin don’t understand the hard work and long hours that go into this career.

55. edelafraz

This article sparks a memory about our first PR class. As an anxious student I took out my notebook and pen, you asked us what are some words that come to mind when you think of public relations. The discussion was informative, but as a result, you taught us to never associate the word spin with PR. As mentioned in this article, some people think that PR professionals spin stories in their favor. As unfortunate as that is, it is just not true. PR professionals are trained to do so much more than just bend the truth. Moreover, a smart and professional PR person will never lie/bend the truth. There are strategic and timely processes that goes into consideration when becoming a PR representative. I am so grateful to be in this class because I have learned that PR is not as easy as it may seem. And now I am even more excited to hear Mr. Ewen speak on March 25!

56. Ashley Fazio

This whole idea of “spin” being associated with PR leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling. Public relations is going in a positive direction. Public relations workers are always searching for the truth. Reading what Cheryl Connor had to say really shocked me and made me want to change peoples views on professionals in PR. Cheryl Connor said, “In many people’s minds, the world of PR is the world of spin. Next to hired assassins or hackers, perhaps, PR is often considered the world’s most ungodly career.” This is my first semester in PR and already I know it is nothing like that. I have a growing interest in PR and I want to change the negative assumptions people have of it.

57. Ariana Queenan

As a journalism student here at Hofstra, I completely sympathize with PR professors and practitioners. I sympathize with PR professionals, because journalist all too frequently get accused of twisting people’s words or purposely framing their stories in order to best benefit their personal agenda. Prior to taking PR 101 I was ignorant and assumed that PR professionals didn’t always tell the truth, because it wouldn’t be in the best interest of the clients. I now know that journalism and PR have many similarities regarding how various publics view the integrity and honesty of both professions.

58. emilyrwalsh

In my first PR class here at Hofstra, the first thing I learned was how we need to get the idea of “spin” out of our minds and how we never want it associated with what we do. Unfortunately, public relations has had a reputation of negative spin in the past and I feel that we should work hard for the truth so people no longer associate spin and PR. It upsets me when people say that PR is all about spinning words and is an “ungodly” career. Public relations is so much more than meets the eye. We work hard to find the truth for the publics. I feel that PR is moving towards a more positive light, and I am so grateful to go to a school that teaches to never associate spin with PR because we are about finding the truth. Lastly, I think it would be interesting to see Stuart Ewen at the museum of public relations to see what he says about it.