Staying PoweR

57 Comments on Staying PoweR

Ever have a teacher say something that becomes planted in your brain forever? Yes, teachers do aspire to inspire their students; I often hope I’m speaking words that will push my students to proofread their work, or clean up their Facebook, or read a newspaper, or keep their PR career options open. While teachers may not always be profound, sometimes their words have staying power.

I’ve been thinking back to some of what my teachers said–ideas and phrases which have stayed with me–and have sometimes inspired me.

I remember in high school Mr. Horstmann told us never to use the word “they” as in “They say it’ll rain tonight.” He’d ask us, “Just who is this ‘they,’ anyway? You’ve got to be specific and define your terms.”

Dr. Adrienne O'Brien

Dr. Adrienne O’Brien

My biology teacher Mr. Kalina advised us not to ever risk thinking we know everything. “When you know what you don’t know, then you’re on your way,” he’d say. He also once told us, “Wherever you go, that’s where you are.” I have no idea why I remember that silly line; maybe it’s because it was so perfectly logical.

I remember Professor John Hanc (now my dear friend and mentor) defining journalism as “The truth, well told,” a phrase I’ve since used to also describe public relations. It turns out “Truth well told” was also a credo adopted by the McCann ad agency in 1912. It stuck with me.

Dr. Matthew Schure, a professor, college president and my former boss, introduced me to the often-used maxim, “The best predictor of future performance is past performance.” As I’ve grown older I’ve found this life lesson to be extremely accurate.

And then there was Dr. Adrienne O’Brien, another of my wonderful grad school professors, who gave on-target professional advice: “Whatever your public relations skills, when changing jobs the only thing you really bring with you is your reputation.”

I wonder which teachers of yours said something that has had staying power over the years. Maybe after you share them they’ll stick to our brains, too. Your thoughts?

57 thoughts on “Staying PoweR

1. Chelsea Tennariello

Over the past four years as a student at Hofstra University, I have had some very incredible professors who will forever leave an imprint on not only my mind, but my heart as well. The success and wise words of a few of my professors has inspired me to reach far beyond anything that I have ever dreamt of. Along with success stories, one Professor in particular has taught me that it is okay to be different and remain true to myself. Having learned such a valuable lesson from him during my freshman Speech Comm. class, I have taken that with me and held it close over the past four years. It has helped me grow and develop into the young, driven woman that I am today. I live my days based on my own rules, desires and passions and it has lead me to finding out who I am and who I one day aspire to be professionally.

2. stacy05

Yes, indeed some words have staying power. Mrs Monique, was my favorite teacher growing up because unlike other teachers she learned how to read me and could sense that I needed some attention. So, every Friday after class she would call me and we would talk. It was like therapy for me. I remember her telling me. “Stop worrying, It’s a waste of time. Enjoy the different seasons of your life. Just be grateful, all of these different seasons are there to teach you something” These were the kind of sentences that she would tell me. Because of them I am able to think and see life differently. I believe I was very lucky.

3. kenpow2012

One of the most important teachers in my life has to be my 10th grade science teacher. In High School I tended to do a lot of knuckleheaded things, and My teacher put decided one day to sit me down and give me an eye-opening talk about being presentable and carrying a different kind of image that I was giving out. Since then whenever I have a problem or questions I still call this teacher for advice.

4. javendaily

I can’t remember anything in specific that my teachers said in the past. However, the teachers I appreciated the most were those that were passionate about the subject they were teaching. For example, my high school french teacher, Dr. Eikenaar, always pushed us to want to learn more. Although I still can’t speak french I always remember her enthusiasm and going the extra mile for her students.

5. Jazmin Quinci

A professor at Pace, former NYPD police chief, Aaron Rosenthal said to us, “Whatever happens out there, never compromise your integrity.” He said this moments before class ended. While the notion of compromise and integrity is said by many people, the way he said it stopped me. He was genuine, thoughtful and concerned. The course was criminal investigations and this bit of advice was suiting to the subject matter. Earlier we discussed techniques such as using trickery when questioning suspects and what not to do after a person invokes his 5th amendment right to legal representation. I respected and trusted Professor Rosenthal. So the words coming from him meant more than hearing them from someone else. I never got a chance to say goodbye because he had a stroke before our final and didn’t return to teaching, I later learned from one of his predecessors. I refer to what he taught us when analyzing situations as well as when considering my responses to situations, always keeping in mind my self-respect.

6. Anjelica Johnson

I’ve had some great teachers who have inspired me to apply to grad school and specific jobs. I can’t exactly think of any of their specific sayings off the top of my head, but I’ve learned a lot from all of them (especially my undergraduate professors).

7. williamekanem

If nothing else, Professor Morosoff’s story of how he lost a client due to not getting the right spelling of the client’s name has stuck with me. Although I have always known the importance of getting people’s names right, but losing a job for that mistake, makes me take it much more seriously.
    In my first class in communication studies during my undergraduate days, Professor Emmanuel Akpan in trying to explain the import of communication said, “Man Cannot Not Communicate.” It stuck with me ever since and even more so now that I am thinking more seriously about communication.
    I am not very numeric, but one thing that has stuck with me is when my third grade teacher told us that the average of 6, 7, 8 is 7. Though not anything complicated, but its staying power even surprises me.

8. Katherine Hammer

When I was in high school, my forensic science teacher always told us to “live every moment to the fullest, because why the hell not?” I always think of this whenever I am unsure of whether or not to pursue something. I think everyone should carry the fact that they should take all the shots that are thrown at them. I think keeping this saying in mind can make people more positive to pursue all their dreams, and anyone can fulfill their life to the fullest. If you live with this philosophy, the places you end up could be phenomenal. I thank my teacher for telling us this everyday in our class, because it is a great saying to live by.

9. Marc Carganilla

Well when I think of inspirational teacher I look back at my 7th Grade English teacher she often referred to food as a way to better explain complex concepts to us. Kinda like Forrests Gump’s mom explained how “life is like a box of chocolates” . For a teacher they have to convert their messages so that it speaks to her students. When they get their message across they create a positive influence.

10. Jennifer Im

I can’t think of maxims my teachers often said at the top of my head, but I remember every bit of advice they gave me when it came to improving my writing and presentation skills, probably because both were high sources of anxiety for me in middle school and high school. I find that every little thing they emphasized, which most of my peers brushed off as nit-picky, actually turned out to be a common expectation in college. Thanks to my superb teachers, I don’t need to worry about messing up my homophones or giving dull PPTs. Instead, I can focus on absorbing everything I can about Public Relations.

11. Dan Schaefer

One of the biggest lessons that stuck with me from a teacher came from my third grade instructor, Mrs. Carlino. She told me that honesty is the best policy. That advice applies to every single part of my life. And as I aspire to enter the communications field, I could not abide by a better rule.

12. Victoria Kotowski

I loved this article because I have also had some fantastic teachers over my academic career. I have been given great advice over the years and have stayed friends with several of my teachers. To chance focus a bit, one thing that has always stuck with me was actually something that a not-so-inspiring teacher told me, who happened to also be my field hockey coach. One day at practice we were running sprints and I was coming in first every time. She pulled me to the side and said “it’s great that you’re working hard, but you don’t need to make your teammates feel bad or think you’re better than them by coming first everytime – that’s not how life works.” I’ll never forget how silly that was, and to this day I always remember to do the complete opposite of what she told me.

13. Cheyenne Padgett

One of the things I remember the most from high school is my choral teacher telling me when Im stressed to focus on today and how to accomplish what needs to be done in the present and the stress will melt away. This helped me so much in high school and continues to help me today. Theses a big reason why I make lists of things to do each day. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and lets me know I’m going somewhere.

14. Olivia Hayum

When I think of teachers and professors that I have had, there are definitely ones that stand out. There’s the ones that were miserable and I couldn’t stand, but the good professors outweigh the bad. Its also these professors who I remember more, and I remember their class more. Good professors who are passionate about what they teach and communicate well with their students, have more of an impact. Their teachings will stick and mean more than a teacher who just phones it in and goes through the motions.

15. Michele Colletti

Personally, I don’t have a specific quote that a teacher or professor has told me but I do have certain memories with professors along the years that I will never forget. One very important and influential teacher was my middle school and high school athletic director. He was more than just a teacher and mentor he cared and became a friend to me and many other students and I admire that very much in any teacher. To connect with students on another level besides the course work goes a long way and really influences our lives.

16. gluisi

My favorite teacher was my high school math teacher. Not because I liked math, but i loved her. Her name was Ms. O’hara and I would say that she has had a huge impact on my life. She was always seen with a bright smile and a positive attitude no matter what was going on in her life. She was single with no kids, but she had referred to us as her children and teaching was her passion. Something that she always said that stuck with me was, “Do what you love, and the rest will fall into place.” I love this quote because to me it says to relax and enjoy the ride. Trust in yourself, and that is something that I have struggled with from time to time. She loved what she did, so to her she was never at “work”.

17. Grace Finlayson

I had a lot of amazing teachers throughout high school, but the one I remember the most was my senior year english teacher. This man had been working at my high school for a long time and was sort of insane. For example we watched a documentary that was in Japanese and we had to answer questions that pertained to the movie. I didn’t take too much from that class other than that everyday he started the class with “none of you are special.” This stuck with me because you have to work hard to become “special.” This word “special” is over used with kids today and when those kids grow up they don’t have ways to deal with hearing disappointment. When a kid hears they are “special” everyday it is going to be difficult for them to take rejection.

18. Gabrielle Furman

After reading this blog post there are definitely some teachers that have stuck with me. Maybe not their direct quotes, but how their teaching styles some of which I still use today. However, a quote that I’ve heard very often by professors and by people in the working world is “love what you do so it doesn’t feel like work.” This is a valuable quote because you never want to do something for the rest of your life that your going to hate. This is why I chose to be in PR because I love connecting with people and getting to know them.

19. afairc1

“Do it again but better”. As a theatre production student at Hofstra these five words myself and many others heard quite often from one of my favorite professors. As a production student we lead very busy and sleep deprived lives because of all the work we are constantly doing to get our shows up and running. We are constantly striving for perfection. We know that while perfection can never truly be achieved, we can keep trying over and over to get better. We all know the work we are putting out there is our best of the best for that moment but we can always do it again but better. In the end thats what keeps us going, our love for theatre and the thought of achieving something great.

20. Kimberly Minto

When I started reading this post, it made me realize that my time at Hofstra is coming to end. I began thinking about all the teachers I’ve had over the years, mentors and other people in my life. I don’t remember many of the lessons taught to me then, but I do remember one lesson repeated by many, “those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind”. This is something that I still live by because it reminds me to be true to myself while living life. I am not afraid to stand up for something I believe in and I am willing to take risks, qualities that I know are important in today’s world of public relations.

21. Marissa Slattery

I have been extremely fortunate to have been taught by many great teachers throughout my educational journey, but at the moment I am stumped to come up with one specific piece of advice. I think that in this case, the idiom “actions speak louder than words,” is the best take-away that I have from all the greats. The best teachers that I have had were always passionate about what they were teaching and found a way to make their students interested in the topic at hand, if not passionate as well. Throw yourself into your work if you are passionate and don’t be afraid of opinions that try to mock or belittle. Truly authentic and passionate people will always succeed as they are never trying to be or do something that they don’t believe in.

22. Cass Lang

In the very first minute of my very first day of Honors Earth Science in 7th grade my teacher, Mr. Mule, grabbed a bottle of Windex from his desk and threw it across the room. At the time, I assumed he was insane and wanted to scare the crap out of us. I was right. He was insane, but he also ended up being one of the best teachers I’ve ever had. When I went to visit him in my senior year of high school, I asked him about that very first day. (More specifically why he threw the bottle of Windex.) He told me he wanted to give us something to remember and to laugh about when we were older but more importantly he felt it necessary to scare the crap out of the class, who he liked to call “the entitled honors kids”. The impression he left on me was so much bigger than him throwing that bottle across the room, it was something that had me coming back to visit him four years later with my high school yearbook in hand. The best teachers leave you with more than a few words to remember, they’re the ones who influence, shape and better you in the most important ways.

23. Jennifer Pizzurro

Something that has always resonated with me is something my Communication Theory professor at the University of Kentucky told us about writing literature reviews. She said, “Do not just say this is good or this is bad because, but allow the reader to take the journey with you as you explore your topic in regards to pathos, logos, and ethos. ” This has stuck with me ever since.

24. Vanessa

Over the years I have received wonderful words of wisdom from various professors. But none have quite resonated with me like the words from my business professor Lary Taylor. He was the one that told me to “stop letting outside influences (family, friends,teachers etc.) dictate my career. Find your passion and stick with it. You can’t go through life trying to make other people happy, otherwise, you won’t be.” It is because of those words today, I am happily pursuing what I love.

25. Priyanka Singh

When I was an undergraduate student here at Hofstra, I had to sit down and think about what I wanted to declare as my minor. My favorite subject throughout middle school and high school was social studies, so I decided to enroll in American Politics with Dr. Leslie Feldman and I had no idea what I was getting myself into. The first day of class when I met her, I was terrified. I thought I made a huge mistake, but by the end of the class, she had me hanging on to every word that came out of her mouth. She’s the reason I became a political science minor. Almost every semester, I enrolled in one of her political theory classes and I still remember her lectures to this day. She made complex theories and dense readings interesting because she knew how to communicate the knowledge to her students in a way that we could understand and digest. To this day, I still remember her talks about conspiracy theories, John Locke, Plato, the Federalist Papers and of course, Great Neck. After taking her classes for four years, I’m honored to say that Dr. Feldman is one of my all-time favorite professors at Hofstra.

26. cmichael1

I’ve also have had the opportunity to come across wonderful teachers throughout my years in school who definitely have had an impact in my life. My favorite teacher was my 9th grade honors English teacher, Ms. Scotto. She was one of the more strict teaches I’ve had however I feel as if she really influenced my love for literature. Six years later, I still keep in touch with her and have a close relationship with her. It’s amazing how a teacher you only have for a year can become your mentor and biggest supporter later on in your life.

27. elizah9

I think it is amazing that you have encountered so many great teachers throughout the course of your education. I have also came across some outstanding teachers who have inspired me to pursue my dream career in public relations. For instance, in high school I had a yearbook advisor name Mr. Grenier who motivated me to follow my dreams and to never give up. He would always keep me on track and tell me to keep my eyes on the prize. I am beyond grateful to have had him as a mentor throughout my high school years. He now sends me an email every month to make sure that I am not forgetting the reason I came to college.

28. Andrew Manning

I had two History teachers in High School – during my freshman and senior year – who completely changed how I looked at education itself. My ninth-grade teacher hated tests and formal lessons, preferring instead to arrange our desks in a circle and ask us a question (usually unrelated to World History) and let us debate it for the entire period. It wasn’t necessarily advice, but it gave me an appreciation of the kind of hands-on learning I still love.
    In twelfth-grade, while reviewing the syllabus on the first day, my teacher casually mentioned how the textbook was “a bit more liberal than he would have liked, but it was OK”. I’m embarrassed to admit it, but it wasn’t until this off-hand remark that the idea of bias in education ever crossed my mind. Throughout the year, he would openly disagree with parts of the book which seemed to be too opinionated, and since then I’ve made sure to be on the lookout for opinions disguised as facts in other textbooks I’ve read.

29. Rock(Shi Yan)

That`s very interesting, because in the China, Chinese people always like to use: they said, someone said….. and Chinese goverment report everything always like use: The crowd……, or some department said……… never use real name. I don`t know why. But I believe use real name will more real and more convincing.

30. Heather Lanci

I would say one of my favorite teachers through my years in school was my high school calculus teacher. I had him senior year, last period of the day. The last day of class he made everyone cry because he wrote this really nice letter saying goodbye to us all. He’s a young teacher, but would always have random quotes or sayings for us to remember. I most clearly remember him always saying to us, “The choice is yours.” No matter what he was referring to, whenever he gave us a decision to make, he’d end it with, “The choice, my friends, is yours.” He said it in a funny way that made us laugh, but the words have stayed with me through college. Whatever you decide to do in life, the choice is yours.

31. Chris Hoffman

My 8th grade history teacher- perhaps the most influential teacher of my life- always emphasized his mantra, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but ignorance does.” I think he meant a lot of things by this, but biggest of all is that we need to be conscious of (and learn from) our past mistakes. That’s so, so important. We don’t need to dwell on the past, but we need to know what happened in order to make more informed decisions for the future. The other thing that he told us was “When the facts change, I change my mind.” What he meant was that many people are stuck in their ways and refuse to adapt to changing conditions. We often try to “stick to our guns” and stay resolute in our opinions because we see changing opinions as a sign of weakness. This is simply not the case. We need to be open to changing our opinions on things based on new information, and we need to always be conscious of new information that may change circumstances.

32. Ashley Fazio

Throughout life I have had the pleasure of having both amazing teachers and some not so amazing teachers. I would have to say the teachers who I learned the most from would be those who have a passion for teaching. Teachers that give inspiration to their students and positive mottos are the ones who teach their students how to go far in life. Personally I remember the teachers in my life who made this difference. Anyone who inspires me to become a better version of myself is a great teacher in my opinion.

33. Jen O'Malley

There are few teachers that I remember as vividly as my first grade teacher, Ms. Sullivan. Ms. Sullivan was a tiny, blonde lady. She was always smiling and had the rosiest cheeks. Back then I thought of her as old, but she was probably the same age as I am now when I had her as a teacher. Being a kid with enormous anxiety issues, social situations like school have sometimes been a challenge for me. Ms. Sullivan was the first person that I encountered in the outside world that understood this and truly helped me with this issue. To this day, I still use a relaxation exercise that she taught me one day while I was panicking before a test. She was also sure not to embarrass me, so instead of singling me out, she presented the exercise to the entire class as if it was for everyone and not just me. The “Drop of Sun” exercise as our tests. I think that it was more the feeling of not being alone and having someone understand that aided in my anxiousness. But, whatever it was it worked! And I still use it in various situations that I encounter today. Having Ms. Sullivan as a first grade teacher was a great introduction to my educational experience, and I give her a lot of the credit for my love of learning.

34. Deana Meccariello

So many of my teachers have taught me things that stick out in my head. It is very important to inspire students. Without inspiration, you cannot get the knowledge to sink into a students brain.

35. Tamara Russo

Throughout my childhood, I wanted to be a pediatrician. It never changed because I idolized my doctor and I wanted to help children. When I was 16 and applying for schools, I realized that medical school was just not for me. I was at a loss when my AP Psychology teacher said, “You may not be able to help the body, but you can help the mind.” 6 years later, I am graduating with a Bachelors in Psychology with a concentration in Cognitive Science.

36. Sarah Holzberg

When I was living and studying in London I had a professor, Gen Gordon, Gen was not only my professor and boss but my mentor. Gen is the person who got me into sports and taught me everything I know! She always would say “If you wake up everyday excited to go to work, than my dear you won’t work a day in your life”. I have never forgotten that advice and apply it to my life everyday.

37. jheiden1

I’ve had a lot of great teachers and professors throughout the years, but what stuck with me most was their passion. It gave me a lot of hope to see that people could follow their dreams and live happy, rewarding lives. A lot of my high school teachers love what they do. The same goes for professors. That passion and determination has always given my my own personal drive at life. The lessons and kind words were always great, but what meant more to me was seeing that success. I think it’s more about the experience of being alive, as Joseph Campbell so effortlessly put it.

38. Taylor Lawrence

My sixth grade teacher would always put on these elaborate skit like lectures in order for us to remember the information she was teaching us. When she taught us PEMDAS in math. She drank an entire bottle of seltzer, and proceeded to continualy burp. She was trying to help us remember the phrase “please excuse my dear Aunt Sally.” In this case she was Aunt Sally. I still don’t know how appropriate it was, but I definitely could not forget PEMDAS even if I wanted to.

39. keyanamichelle13

One of my teachers from elementary school always used to tell me “the best things in life come to those who wait.” This is a quote that’s as old as time but it always sticks to me, especially since anyone who knows me well knows I hate waiting and have very little patience. I find myself being reminded of this quote more often now both socially and career wise. A lot of times I just want to get work over and done with but now I try to wait and take a break before I post or hand anything in then glance at it once more before I complete it and I almost always find a mistake that I hadn’t noticed before.

40. Nicholas Taddeo

I don’t have any specific quotes, however I wanted to discuss two Hofstra University professors that I will remember for a very long time…Professor Vogel and Professor Sodano. Both of these gentleman taught me not only the curriculum but went above and beyond and helped prepare me for the “real world” with their own personal stories and experiences of life after college. And that is something I find so important to talk about in class, yet not too common. Graduating college and entering into the “real world” will be a shock, and I will have my fair share of failures but I believe teachers like Vogel and Sodano will lighten that shock and reduce the amount of times I fail.

41. hatcherphoto

I think that our teachers and mentors are given too little credit for the jobs that they do. I have the fortune to have a teacher for a mother, and get to watch the change that she has in everyday life. When she taught in an urban district, the kids wanted to be in class, and thought that she was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Those kids still recognize her, and a simple run to the store almost always turns into seeing the kids run up to her and catch her up on their lives. But somehow in her new schools, the kids lost that. My mother is no longer an interest, but a chore. Her teaching hasn’t changed, her personality hasn’t changed, but the kids have. I think that people will look back and realize how right their teachers were, and how right they will always be.

42. Taylla Smith

I have had the honor of having some great professors. I wish I could say that I could say that I have taken away words from all of them. Though, I do not have words to remember, I certainly have memories that I have stayed with me through my academic career. During my first semester of college, I was in a very intimidating production course and my professor, who is a lovely woman really guided me through the class. She basically let me know simply “there is no crying in TV.” I think I will remember those words for the rest of my college career. I suppose the simple phrases will be the most effective.

43. carsoncuevas

I had a math teacher in high school who gave this piece of advice: “Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right.” I have always repeated this to myself so that I may always work in a mindset of “I can do this!” When we get rid of the doubt and the I can’t thinking, we succeed. Also, this quote just goes with the idea that often times, our mindset determines outcome. Another piece of advice I picked up recently while in a ballet class here at Hofstra. While she may have been repeating the words of someone famous, I am thankful my teacher gave us this advice. This quote rings true, both in the ballet class setting and out of it. She said, “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.” I love how clear and to the point it is. Case and point, plan ahead!

44. Rachel Massaro

When I was a junior in high school I had the history teacher that everyone warned you about. Mrs. Irwin was the toughest but most helpful teachers I’ve ever had. If you gave a speech she would count how many times you said ‘like’ and if it got above a certain number you’d get points taken off. Although at the time I found it incredibly annoying I realize now how much it helped me. Also if you made a powerpoint presentation you were not allowed to put everything you were going to say on each slide, the slides were only to include pictures. This is not a solid quote of advice she gave, however it really helped me in the future with presentations because now when I see other presentations of full sentences which are just going to be repeated back to me I find it incredibly boring and lazy. I really like the quotes you shared from your professors I can definitely tell they will stick with me.

45. geow1

“Shut the hell up and listen, you might learn something.”

My teacher wasn’t frustrated nor was she angry. She just knew how to get our attention and she did it well. Her words struck me in a way that I’ll remember to always listen more than to speak. That’s the lifelong lesson I’ve learnt.

46. Ariana Queenan

In high school, my history teacher, Mrs. Lynch never gave me one piece of advice that has stuck with me. Mrs. Lynch is an exemplary human being and I learned a lot from her actions alone. We frequently spoke about the things she did as a college student and her philosophies on life. I love her for her bravery, courage, humor, honesty, and determination. She always fought so hard for what she believed in even if she was the only one fighting. She taught me to trust the timing of things. In high school, my freshman science teacher, Mrs. Malarkey taught me not to take life too seriously and to always help others. Mrs. Malarkey was so unorganized and consistently made mistakes. Yet she was the lead teacher for the science department at my high school. She also did a lot of volunteer work and always allowed me to tag along. I learned the importance of helping others.

47. Nicole Romeo

I unfortunately cannot recall a powerful saying that one of my past teachers has said. I know that I have been told a few words of encouragement throughout the years and those words of encouragement really have stuck with me within that certain time period. If a teacher is passionate about his or her job I believe saying words to encourage his or her students is recommended. Kindness really does go a long way.

48. rebeccaanncosta

I was lucky enough throughout my years of schooling to find a few teachers who I consider to be great role models. Mr. Edgar would start each physics class with mini life lessons. Mr. Michaud taught me that the world ‘like’ should not, like, be in my vocabulary. My favorite was Carol Downer, a teacher who I got to see every day for my four years of high school. She was the adviser of our newspaper and she is the woman who taught me about my writing, my life, and who ultimately led me to decide on a career in public relations. She is the greatest woman I have ever met and even though she retired, I make the effort to email her often so she knows how much of an impact she has made on my life.

49. Nicholas Mazzarella

Professor Morosoff:

As a journalism major, I have gotten a number of good writing tips during my time at Hofstra. In my sophomore year, one of my professors said that writers should put everything they have into every piece they write. Regardless of a story’s significance, writers should always make the maximum effort and never be lazy. Something else that many of my professors have stressed is the importance of tight writing. In short, clarity and conciseness are key.

Lastly, an education professor that I had often told her students to find a balance between work and fun. It has been about a year and a half since I took her class, but I still think about her advice whenever I have a lot on my plate.

-Nick Mazzarella

50. edelafraz

I am and always will be a strong believer in education. Sure, money can buy you a lot of fancy things, but there is no greater power than intelligence. I was fortunate enough to have gone through a great public school system in my home town of Great Neck, New York. My teachers inspired me to immerse myself in education both inside and outside the classroom. Furthermore, I want to be able to continue my education even after graduate school. This blog post sparked a memorable moment in my high school career, it was when I could truly say I felt a sense of accomplishment and total transformation. I had a meeting with my guidance councelor and we were just talking about how I have become more mature, more serious about my school work, and made more connections with teachers. Even though it may not seem like much, it was a moving moment for me to really reflect who i was becoming. Moreover, my professors at Hofstra have been nothing but inspirations. After all, when I sign up for classes, the professor is the first thing I look at in my decision-making process!

51. memlano1

In high school, my eccentric sociology teacher, Mr. Hargrave, had E.P.P. all over his classroom walls. E.P.P. stands for “Enjoy the Precious Present.” Mr. Hargrave instilled this message into all of his students brains with kindness and a positive attitude. His words especially rang true when my graduating class lost a student to cancer, just a few months before graduation. I am reminded of Mr. Hargrave’s message of E.P.P. in all situations I face. All we have is this moment, so we should never take it for granted and never wish to be in a different place.

52. Abby Drapeau

Professors and teachers who end up being my favorite tend to be the ones who I hated having. They’re the ones who pushed me and made me work hard, instead of letting me slide by as an average student. With websites like ratemyprofessor, some teachers and professors are more focused on being liked than being exceptional, because many times their jobs are on the line. When I had to take WSC1 freshman year, I really didn’t like my professor, but looking back she taught me so much, especially about not putting extra fluff in my writing. She advocated for making every sentence count, something that has been very useful to me as a pr student. I might have hated the process but the outcome made it all worth it.

53. pjze618

In high school, my Greece and Rome teacher (also a Greek, like me!) told me to never limit myself or to pretend I was dumber than I am. His advice will take me far in my career, especially since I am a woman in a male dominated world. The only way we can succeed is if we challenge ourselves and push past fear of failure.

54. Daylen Orlick

When I was at my high school graduation, my music professor Mr. Macbeth told me, “Take advantage of today daylen, because tomorrow is not promised. Good luck.” These words will forever be a part of my life. Those words have been my motto for the past two years, they have made me want to take advantage of every opportunity that has been presented to me. I am so thankful for those words, because I feel if I had never heard them, I wouldn’t have had half the experiences I have had here at Hofstra.

55. Rachel Tyler

In high school, my principle, Sister Helen, once told us “find love in all that you do.” I have taken this quote with me throughout my college career. I have chosen a major based off what I enjoy doing. This quote has helped me build a passion for my work. If you love something that you are working on you are going to try your best to make sure it represents the best you.

56. msvonne88

Professor Morosoff, I’ll never forget when I met you during my first interview for the program. We discussed different industries and career options when working in the field of public relations. You had shared with me your experience working in higher education and I actually considered applying for a position in at a college. Something that you said which resonated with me was, “As long as you have your pr toolbox, you can pretty much work anywhere.” I never forgot how that stayed fresh in my mind. Thanks for the advice!

57. emilyrwalsh

When I was in elementary school, my math teacher, Mrs. Kavanagh, would always tell my class that “it’s only one test and you can always pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and try harder next time.” That is still a philosophy that I carry with me to this day, in all aspects of life. In high school, my English teacher and guidance counselor would tell me to keep the “unnecessary fluff” out of my writing. Looking back, that advice is crucial especially when writing for PR. Finally, another English teacher of mine would tell us to reread our papers from the last sentence back to the first. The story will not make sense, but it helps when looking for grammatical errors. It amazes me how those pieces of advice given to me years ago still stick out in my head. This goes to show that teachers positively influence their student’s lives in so many ways.