PoP's fiRst "bad boy"

67 Comments on PoP's fiRst "bad boy"

A couple of weeks ago, Comedy Central telecast its celebrity roast of Justin Bieber. Pop music’s young icon was lambasted for his numerous dust-ups with the paparazzi, neighbors, fans, and the law. And while Bieber’s bad behavior has sealed his reputation as one of this generation’s “bad boys,” he’s got nothing on Frank Sinatra. The difference–besides buckets of actual talent–is that despite his own “bad boy” image, Sinatra was beloved by most and remains a giant in pop culture history.

Frank Sinatra

Frank Sinatra

As the anniversary of Sinatra’s 100th birthday approaches, New York’s Lincoln Center is featuring Sinatra: An American Icon, showcasing 100 years of Sinatra’s life and legacy. Although I know relatively little about the man and his music and movie career, I had the pleasure of seeing this superb event.

Before visiting the exhibit, I watched a four-hour HBO documentary titled “Sinatra: All or Nothing At All“, where I both learned and confirmed what I do know about Frank Sinatra– or at least about his public image. This was an Grammy- and Oscar-winning entertainer who, through dogged determination, worked his way from his hardscrabble upbringing as the only child of immigrant parents to become one of the biggest superstars of the 20th century.

Frank Sinatra was hard drinking and hard partying, had numerous brushes with the law and the paparazzi, was close friends with presidents and mobsters, was married four times, and had multiple affairs. Yet despite his very publicized bad behavior, during his lifetime Sinatra also championed racial equality, supported hospitals and scholarships, gave to disadvantaged and physically challenged children, and was extremely generous to his friends and family.

Although he was relatively modest about his countless acts of kindness, perhaps it was this good PR that helped enhance Sinatra’s image and kept this “bad boy” in the public’s good graces. By nearly every measure, Justin Bieber doesn’t compare to Sinatra, and my guess is Bieber and other bad boys and girls in today’s pop culture won’t be remembered with an exhibit at Lincoln Center a century after their birth. Your thoughts?

67 thoughts on “PoP's fiRst "bad boy"

1. Jazmin Corrine Quinci

Amen! There is no comparing Bieber to Sinatra. To even mention them in the same sentence hurts my eyes. First he does not have the class nor talent like Sinatra. Sinatra was original and one of a kind. Mr. Sinatra was a true bad boy. He didn’t tour with his mother with him. He didn’t only hire musicians that were his height so he wouldn’t appear short on camera. Years ago, I saw I think it was a lifetime story on Sinatra. It was compelling from his meager beginnings to his slew of relationships from Nancy Sinatra to serving Mia Farrow with divorce papers while she was filming “Rosemary’s Baby”, to the Rat Pack. On this note, Mia Farrow’s son, Ronan Farrow, looks just like his father. The resemblance is too strong to be ignored. While I know this was never confirmed, Woody Allen went on record and said that Ronan was not his son. This is a private matter and I respect this fact but seeing Ronan on MSNBC makes me think of Sinatra. I remember when Sinatra died and it was like America lost a God.

2. alyssaobrien

Quite frankly I have a hard time understanding why Justin Beiber is hated so much. The flack he was getting from the media, and the public occurred long before he started acting out. Why would he try to salvage his reputation when it was clear from the onset that he wasn’t liked. The case of Justin Beiber simply reminds me of instance where the public has been wrong and incessantly ridicules a kid with divorced parents who had a talent and used his talent to provide for himself and his family. I don’t see how that is dishonorable. As far as his run ins with the law, it would be interesting to see how many people that shame him for getting caught driving drunk have gotten behind the wheel under the influence and were not caught simply because they weren’t a celebrity.

3. biancaozz

I think the main reason for Justin Bieber’s bad “reputation” being so prevalent and widely talked about, is social media. We live in an age where information and gossip is spread instantaneously, and accessible by everyone and their mother (literally). While Sinatra’s escapades and scandals were widely known and talked about, it was nothing in comparison to what Bieber faces today.

If anything, I would say that Bieber has access to better PR today than Sinatra had decades ago. I think that in the future, Bieber’s infamy will die down, and he will be more remembered for his positive (if any) contributions than the negatives.

4. lhk1329

I honestly think Justin Bieber is at the disadvantage here. During his lifetime, Frank Sinatra didn’t have to deal with the privacy issue that plagues most of our current celebrities nowadays. If he did misbehave, it would blow over in a few weeks. We currently live in the technological revolution. Stories are constructed in minutes, photos are shared in seconds, and nothing can ever really be deleted. Don’t get me wrong, Justin Bieber had made plenty of foolish mistakes but he can’t deflect everything. All he can do is move forward and try to make better decisions.

5. tacost2

I think that the reason there is such a difference is due in part by 2 things: (1) different generation = different reactions, and (2) Bieber sucks. In Sinatra’s time, there was a lack of media coverage that we have today. Also, I don’t recall ever hearing about any good deed that Justin Bieber has ever done, contrary to Sinatra. I feel as though in today’s society, in order to remain in the limelight, you are more likely to receive the most attention by being “bad,” similar to how Bieber has been choosing to live his life.

6. squiro1

I believe that in today’s society, the way the majority of celebrities handle crisis are very different to how they did years ago, in Sinatra’s time period for example. PR crisis are happening more often due to social media. Almost everyone has a smart phone with a camera… If they catch a celebrity doing something illegal they can easily take a video or picture and upload it to a social media platform in under one minute. No one’s lives are private anymore. With the increase of PR crisis in celebrities lives, one would think that they would spend more time giving back to make up for the negative things they have done, but unfortunately that hasn’t seemed to be the case in the recent years. I think in the technological age we live in, people are becoming desensitized to bad behavior and are starting to think that celebrities giving back to make up for what they have done isn’t needed.

7. Candace

In my opinion it’s almost impossible to compare the “bad boy” images of Frank Sinatra and Justin Bieber for multiple reasons, levels of talent aside. For one, Bieber gained his fame at a much younger age than Sinatra. Bieber has been living in the spotlight since he was 14. He has made many mistakes as a tween, teenager and young adult all while being watched by the entire world. Sinatra may have been a “bad boy” from that age, but he had the luxury of doing so in private. The most important difference between the two is the world in which they have lived. As PR professionals, we’re very much aware of the impact that technology has on, well, everything. Sinatra could have gone streaking down his street and even if all of his neighbors saw it, barely anyone on the other side of the world or even a few states over would have been the wiser. Bieber on the other hand is at the mercy of cellphone cameras, paparazzi, and social media. Any mishap he finds himself in will broadcasted around the world in 60 seconds. Good deeds make the press when effort is made to put them in the press. Wrongdoings attract media on their own. With a 24-hour news cycle and citizen journalists on every corner, the reputations cannot be compared — Bieber is battling a totally different animal.

8. Chris Hoffman

In my opinion, the main reason that Justin Bieber is seen as a bad boy who’s capable of good things and Frank Sinatra is seen as a good guy with a bad side is that Sinatra did a lot of good for the greater good while limiting his bad behavior to things that only impacted him. In contrast, Bieber does things that impact a greater amount of people- driving drunk, damaging neighbors’ property, assaulting paparazzi, etc. Sinatra was seen as a good man who had a wild streak. Bieber doesn’t do a whole lot to support the greater good- he does some charity work, but not a lot. Gender roles also play into these views of the two stars, but that’s something else entirely. Bieber will be remembered for his faults and PR gaffes while Sinatra will be remembered for his great music and positive image.

9. Nicole Garcia

Though Justin Bieber is widely known, he’ll never come close to Frank Sinatra’s legacy. Frank Sinatra’s music was notable for its time since he was among America’s first crooners while also retaining his own distinctive sound. Contrastingly, Justin Bieber’s music blends in with most of today mainstream music and perhaps can be more comparable to Elvis Presley as he was more of a record label pre-packaged star. I doubt Bieber will ever be respected let alone reach Frank Sinatra’s prestige and unparalleled talent.

10. kenpow2012

I feel that in some ways people are not appreciated untill they are gone. One celebrity that was a badboy but now is looked up to and quoted throughout our pop culture is Tupac. When alive the media demonized him and try to tear him apart , now that he is gone we are very much more appreciative of what he brought to our culture

11. Williams Ekanem

Justin Bieber soiled his image too early and even some of his die hard followers are forced to “unfollow.” Some parents don’t even want to see or hear their children extol him, it’s that bad. From this premise therefore, Bieber’s fame starts diminishing quite too early and cannot therefore be near that of Sinatra.

12. Jennifer Im

I actually don’t think generational differences play a large part in Frank Sintara and Justin Bieber’s differences in reputation. Many present day celebrities and athletes have criminal records or have experienced a series of poor marriages. Their fans still love them. Many are willing to ignore it or may not even be aware of it. For whatever reason, people just enjoy mocking Bieber. They find some sort of camaraderie through it, and will nitpick at anything to make sure he remains infamous, not that he makes it very difficult, of course.

13. Abby Drapeau

It’s interesting because I never knew that Frank Sinatra had the reputation of being a “bad boy”. Today, the pop-star renowned for being the “bad boy” is Justin Beiber. I think the main difference between Sinatra and Beiber is how they portray themselves through their music, Beiber rapping more inappropriate lyrics while Sinatra’s smooth voice portrayed him more as a gentleman.

I think another huge difference is the influence of the internet, social media and our 24/7 culture that we’re living in. Today, we have the ability to know what celebrities are doing all the time (through social media and tabloids) at any hour of the day. Because of this, we’re watching Beiber grow up in the spotlight, and we have the ability to see every mistake he makes under a microscope. Whereas in the past, Sinatra might have had the ability to shield his private life a little more.

14. NMendes1

I absolutely agree that Justin Bieber will never be able to hold a torch to Frank Sinatra. I also caught the HBO special and was fascinated to learn how close Mr. Sinatra and JFK were to one another. I believe Frank was able maintain such a an awesome legacy because of how charitable he was, and he intentions were pure.Frank Sinatra had a very genuine vibe about him and I believe that is why people remained drawn to him even in times when he was known as a “bad boy”

15. Victoria Kotowski

To be honest, I know very little about Sinatra and never knew he was a bad boy. After reading this blog, I did a little research on him and he was definitely involved in questionable things during his lifetime. One major difference between Sinatra’s and Bieber’s experiences in the lime light is social media. While Bieber has done some really wreckkess and stupid things, he has to live in a time where everything he does is documented online and can be accessed by people worldwide. If Sinatra had to deal with the same, I’m not sure if he would have maintained his somewhat good reputation since more people would have been made aware of his negative actions.

16. gabriellefurman

I never thought that Justin Bieber and Frank Sinatra could be compared. Both of them did have a “bad boy” reputation, but I feel like there were differences because of the media. Today, the media follows many celebrities including Justin around of where he is, what he’s doing and who he is with. Having the media follow you can catch him in bad situations, which he wouldn’t want the public to find out. Also, I feel like he has to keep up his bad reputation because he has had it for so long. Even though Frank Sinatra had his fair share of problems, there wasn’t as much media catching him doing all the bad. There was more focus on recognition for all the awards that he received.

17. Rock(Shi Yan)

He is also famous in the China. But he is not a ” bad boy” in China. Some people like his music. At same time people also like Elvis Presley and The Beatles. For me, I really love his Jazz. Chinese people don’t have any culture connect with American. So some Chinese funs really don’t care about his bad thing. Just pure love his music.

18. Vincent Frazzetto

I must say, I never believed that a comparison between Sinatra and Bieber would ever be debated, however in this respect I do see similarities. Both Sinatra and Bieber have held and currently hold “bad boy” images. However, I do believe the pivotal difference between the artists is the manner in which they carry themselves. Bieber is often seen in baggy clothes, a snapback hat and sunglasses, while Sinatra carried himself in a much classier manner, seen in suits with a hat in most every picture seen of him. While they both may have had several dust ups with the police, Sinatra’s antics were more hummed, while Bieber’s controversies are yelled through a bullhorn.

19. Katherine Hammer

I never knew of Sinatra’s “bad boy” image, and that might be because of the fact that he did so much good in his life. I’ve only heard of the great music he produced and the good things that came out of it. In the case of Justin Bieber, I think that he has time to turn all of his “bad boy” incidents into something that people will remember positively about him. Although Bieber might not become a huge music icon like Sinatra, I believe there is still time to turn his music career around, and reform his negative reputation into a positive one.

20. Dan Schaefer

I think one of the biggest differences between Sinatra and Bieber (aside from the clear talent divide) is the time period during which they lived. Bieber was arrested for driving under the influence a few years ago. With the increasing attention on drinking and driving, being arrested for doing it is one of those things that can really hurt your image. The U.S. was a different place when Sinatra was going through his bad boy phase, one that was much more forgiving.

21. afairc1

You really cannot compare Frank Sinatra to Justin Bieber by any means due tot he fact they both had the “bad boy” image in different time periods. Not to diminish Sinatra but technology was not that existent back then so his bad boy image was a lot easier to keep intact because majority of it was word of mouth. If they wanted to keep his image of a bad boy and someone had a story about Sinatra possibly doing some good they could simply refute it and kill the story as well as fabricate more bad boy stories to keep his image alive. While Justin Bieber is in the modern era and with technology his bad boy image is harder to make go away simply because we have physical proof of his behavior: pictures, videos, etc. While both are celebrities its harder now to have a private life like Sinatra had, so if Justin goes out to get groceries and does something “bad boy” like its going to be documented and broadcasted for the world to see.

22. Mike Cox

Like you said, you cannot compare Frank Sinatra to Justin Bieber by any means. Yes, they might be considered both “bad boys” of their time but things are much different for the both of them. I personally believe Bieber goes above and beyond to instill this “bad boy” look because he no longer wants to be teeny bopper high school crush that he was for so long. For Sinatra, it was never about changing the way people looked at him. Even though Sinatra was perceived as a “bad boy” of the time, people still loved and respected him for his talent and kind heart.

23. Taylor Lawrence

I believe that talent will always outshine behavior, especially in the case of young men. A lot of people believe that “boys will be boys” and maybe that is exactly right. These young stars had so much fame and money it is inevitable that they will get into some trouble. After all of their incidents there is still no denying their immense talent. Bieber’s PR team is currently helping him get his act together, while Sinatra had no PR team, which proves that his talent trumped all else.

24. Rachel Massaro

I had no idea about Sinatra’s bad boy image before reading this article. In all honestly I thought the big stars back in the day were squeaky clean until Elvis came along. I think social media, society’s interest in the gossip, and just how much media in general has evolved has changed the sides we see of celebrities. Although people like to see their favorite star doing good for the community, seeing a picture of them punching a pap in the face gets more coverage these days. As for Bieber getting an exhibit in Lincoln Center, I think that is just up for the future. Even though him and Sinatra’s musical styles are very different, it’s not like Bieber does not have a large enough fanbase for him to be making a difference.

25. javendaily

I don’t know much about Frank Sinatra’s life, but of course I have heard his music. He was a pioneer who’s music has influenced many artists for decades. An artist who has been compared to him many times, based on his music style and talent alone, is Michael Buble. Justin Bieber, on the other hand, is not an artist who can be compared to Frank Sinatra as of yet. He is a product of a social media driven world and I believe public relations efforts had a significant role in his rise to fame and creating an image, not an artist. Frank Sinatra’s talent surpassed his bad boy behavior and he rose to fame because of his talent alone. I’m not saying Justin Bieber doesn’t have talent, but only time will tell if the bad boy behavior can be judged separately from the music. Until he creates material that can be considered innovative and out of the ordinary for this time, he will not reach legend status like Frank Sinatra.

26. Jenna_xo

I never knew about Sinatra’s “bad boy” image either. Growing up listening to him during dinner, especially on Sunday since my parents were kids and keeping that tradition going; my entire family cherishes this man. I am sure many of them were aware of this but never told my brother or I about it. The only thing we did know was that he did have friends who were mobsters but back during that era that was normal, my grandparents and my parents grew up in Brooklyn and they even knew mobsters, this didn’t mean they were tied or had involvement with them but they knew them as well. I agree that the PR team he had definitely helped him stay as popular as he was as well as transpiring up until this day. His talent and better behavior is what kept him in such a positive public image.

27. Priyanka Singh

I think just the term “bad boy” has evolved over the years, not to mention, the level of privacy has also evolved thanks to technology. Frank Sinatra is a legend and he will always be a legend for the way he transformed the music industry. His music is timeless. Justin Bieber certainly is one of the most famous pop icons of this century, but I wouldn’t say he’s made huge musical strides. I think he is one of those celebrities that fell into fame at the right place and the right time. Not to mention, Justin Bieber’s life has been widely displayed all over the tabloids. I agree with Andrew that comparing celebrities from completely different time periods is kind of hard to do because life has evolved so much and we have access to so much more information about celebrity life.

28. Heather Lanci

I think that Sinatra’s image was undermined by his amazing talents, while many musicians from recent years I’m sad to say don’t have much talent at all. I think it’s easier to become famous now in comparison to Sinatra’s day. I think this is why many artists of today are known for their image and not their work. People like Justin Bieber don’t compare to artists like Sinatra.

29. Jess Hershman

I had been unaware of Sinatra’s bad boy image before reading this article, and I think it has to do with the fact that during Sinatra’s time there was less media coverage, along with the lack of social media. Unlike Bieber, who frequently instagrams and tweets, Sinatra never had the opportunity to draw attention to himself like that. Also, Bieber’s audience was mostly young girls, while Sinatra’s audience tended to be older, casting him in an even more negative light because he wasn’t acting as the role model parents expected him to be.

30. Michele Colletti

I watched the HBO documentary on Frank Sinatra with my grandma a few weeks ago and it was so fun to see her light up every time he was on screen and sing along to every song. We were really connecting with the help of Frank Sinatra. It was as though all the bad things that she did know about him because of the media didn’t really matter in the end because she loved him and his music and that is exactly how this generation of fans will be with Justin Bieber years down the line. People who are true fans will like him no matter what. I do believe that Frank Sinatra got let off easy with his “bad boy” persona. I am sure there is a lot more information only few know about him that can tarnish his reputation even more. Justin Bieber on the other hand has grown up in this industry with social media by his side being his best friend and his enemy. Justin Beiber has a lot more struggles with his reputation due to the internet and social media. I think it is too early to tell if Justin Bieber will be remembered down the line. You never know, he can easily get his “bad boy” look polished just like Frank Sinatra did.

31. Ashley Fazio

I would never think to compare Justin Bieber and Frank Sinatra. I personally have never been a fan of Bieber. On the other hand, I love Frank Sinatra and I believe he left a great legacy behind him. I would love to be able to visit the exhibit for the anniversary of Sinatra’s 100th birthday at New York’s Lincoln Center. The exhibit is featuring Sinatra: An American Icon, showcasing 100 years of Sinatra’s life and legacy. This is something that Justin Bieber will never get when he is gone. I don’t think that Justine Biebers music is something that will be able to live on after he is gone.

32. Andrew Manning

Regardless of my own thoughts on either singer’s talent or personality, I think it’s nearly impossible to compare the public image of celebrities from such different eras. Stars have always been under the microscope 24/7, but before the internet, it was possible for them to have some kind of mythology around them. Even Sinatra, one of the biggest sensations of the 20th century, was only available to his fans in small doses: his albums, films, profiles in magazines, and television appearances. There were more blanks fans were left to fill with their imaginations. But with Bieber, who got his start on Youtube, and whose career has been intertwined with the rise of social media, fans can gorge on virtually every move he’s made since he was a teenager, all without getting up from their computers.

This divide becomes especially apparent when comparing the Comedy Central Roasts to the Dean Martin Roasts of Sinatra’s Era. The older roasts tended to focus on broader jokes which were virtually interchangeable depending on who was being roasted. But the modern roasts often attack very specific details about a person’s life, which are only common knowledge to the audience because the sliver of privacy celebrities used to have is now gone. It’s also worth pointing out how remarkably offensive the Dean Martin Roasts were at times, and how a great deal of comedy has always relied on nasty stereotypes.

33. Marissa Slattery

Were I to parallel Justin Bieber to anyone, Vanilla Ice comes time mind much quicker than Frank Sinatra ever would. While Sinatra’s moral compass may not have always pointed north, he had several qualities which endeared him to the public. Sinatra also rose to and enjoyed fame during a time when the press was a bit more forgiving of certain celebrity behaviors and things could be kept behind closed doors and off of front pages. Today, the public thirsts for gossip and it floods our media platforms; there is very little courtesy given to a celebrity’s privacy. The fact that Sinatra had a unique talent that could be described by many as “timeless” also plays a huge factor in his legacy. So much of the music that is put out today is disposable and utterly forgettable…Bieber included. We can look back on several popular artists over the last few decades and remember them fondly, but most of them fall well short of icon status.

34. Anjelica Johnson

There is a huge generation difference between Frank Sinatra and Justin Bieber. I happen to like both of them. Frank Sinatra did a lot of good things secretly, without anyone knowing, but managed to keep his bad boy reputation. For the generation today it is harder to manage the bad boy and good boy image, because everyone wants to hear about the bad or negative things a specific celebrity is doing.

35. Daylen Orlick

I think that it’s hard to compare Frank Sinatra and Justin Bieber. I think that there are many generational differences that help influence peoples perceptions of these celebrities. Frank Sinatra may have been known for being a “Bad Boy” and it was common knowledge, but getting that information out and about isn’t anywhere close to as instant as it is now. If Sinatra was around today, I definitely think his image as a “Bad Boy” would be massively publicized and Bieber would be miniscule in that aspect. But, today with all of the social media Bieber is known as this generations “Bad Boy” and it’s almost unfortunate.

36. cmichael1

I think it is very difficult to try and compare Justin Bieber with a classic and talented artist such as Frank Sinatra especially with how much our society has changed over time. I feel as though society was more forgiving and didn’t care as much about Sinatra’s image because they valued him as a talented artist more than they cared about what his personal actions were. Justin Bieber faced his downfall only a few years into his career before he was able to be respected as an artist and all his actions were publicized and blown up through social media. Being in the spotlight at such a young age without proper guidance and with millions of dollars and everyone searching the internet for what he is doing definitely was too much for Justin Bieber to handle. The media age we live in as well as the artists difference in talent contribute to the different views we have of them.

37. s5n1el

Frank Sinatra was a bad boy, and will always be so in the eyes of the public. My grandmother wasn’t allowed by her parents to go see ol’ blue eyes because of that reputation. Bieber is the lightweight boxer to Sinatra’s heavyweight. Bieber is spitting on fans, Sinatra is giving a man cement shoes. TOTALLY different.

38. Jenn Pizzurro

When your entire life is publicized like these two celebrities it is interesting to see what is remembered. Although Justin Bieber and Frank Sinatra are two completely different talents, they both have very public lives. Maybe if Frank Sinatra had the same Paparazzi that Justin Bieber has things could be different. Frank Sinatra is a legend, but Britney Spears is also considered a legend. Diversity is what makes their crafts artwork.

39. dmeccariello

I think it is safe to say that Justin Bieber and Frank Sinatra will EVER be on the same level. I do find it interesting to know that Frank Sinatra had such a bad boy image for his time. I always remember him for his iconic music. It still shows up on movie soundtracks and on the radio today. I also feel that the reason many of today’s bad boy/girl musicians will not be remembered, is because so much of their music is sub par. Rap songs with “sick beats” are not going to be around 50 or 100 years from now.

40. keyanamichelle13

Good pr is what helped shaped the positive image of Frank Sinatra. I didn’t know that Frank Sinatra had a “bad boy” side until you mentioned it in this blog post. His pr team did and still does do a great job of having his positive accomplishments overshadow the negative attention he drew in.

41. Jen O'Malley

Justin Bieber is missing two things that Frank Sinatra was not. Those two things being immense talent and generosity towards others. Okay, Bieber obviously can sing (kind of) and dance (kind of) but his musical talent is miniscule compared to that of Sinatra. While Sinatra had his fair share of brushes with the law, he also gave back to the community. I haven’t seen Bieber give anything to anyone. In all fairness, the existence of social media allows for Bieber’s bad behavior to be filmed, photographed and spread like wildfire. Sinatra would have been able to keep things a little bit more under wraps and Bieber definitely does not have that “luxury.” Bieber really just comes off as nothing but a spoiled brat. He has not nearly earned the level of musical notoriety that Frank Sinatra has. And I think that giving Beiber the title of “bad boy” probably just feeds his oversized ego even more.

1. Shane

He does, they just arent made public by the media. He supports several charities that people just brush off as PR.

42. Sarah Holzberg

The bad boy image of Bieber and the bad boy image of Sinatra are different also due to the generation gap. The social media generation depicts what we as a society feel about “famous people”. Sinatra was able to fly under the radar and have his talents celebrated while Bieber will be remembered for leaving a pet monkey in Germany and punching Orlando Bloom in the face.

43. Ariana Queenan

Frank Sinatra’s daughter, Nancy, was recently featured on a segment of CBS Sunday Morning. While watching that segment I learned everything I now know about Frank Sinatra. Nancy Sinatra spoke about her father’s marriages, affairs and relationship with both JFK and Sammy Davis Jr. Today, celebrities are almost always vilified because of their “bad” actions. Contrary to popular belief Bieber does quite a bit of charity work. I do not believe that Frank Sinatra’s and Justin Bieber’s “bad boy” image are very comparable, because one man rose to fame in the age of social media and the other did not. I believe that Frank Sinatra was able to distance himself from scandals, because of the lack of Internet, video and camera usage. As a result of the lack of mass technology usage in Frank Sinatra’s day most people are simply unfamiliar with the “bad” things that he has done.

44. Taylla Smith

I am a firm believer that the rebels are the best kind of artists. Frank Sinatra is definitely in that a category. At the end of the day, our society loves to attack villains the celebrities in the lime light and put everyone on a pedestal. Currently, being in the digital age there is a little to no privacy for these people and sometimes we forget about the art that was produced by these individuals.

45. gluisi

Although he is before my time, I am one of the biggest Frank Sinatra fans and i listen to his music everyday before school. I first started listening to him because of all my elders who literally worshipped him. My grandpa would listen to his music 24/7 on his record player. There is no comparison to Frank Sinatra and Justin Beiber. Sinatra,although labeled as a bad boy, give back to the community, would do anything to help others, and always wanted to make people smile. So, because of all this, all the mistakes he made in his past couldn’t dominate his behavior and talent.

46. jheiden1

I never would have expected Frank Sinatra to be a “bad boy.” Then again, I suppose that’s the point. He has always been revered for his successes in music and I have never heard anyone say an ill word about him. He has been easily forgiven for his past because he made up for his mistakes in exceptional ways.

Bieber on the other hand, continues to disrespect and disappoint a variety of people. His music will never be seen in the same light as Sinatra’s. Most songs we hear on the radio today lack meaning and are indistinguishable from one another. Artists like Frank Sinatra will live on forever.

47. Grace Finlayson

I thought this was an interesting comparison because I wasn’t aware of Sinatra’s bad boy persona. I am not a fan of Justin Bieber, but I love Sinatra’s music and always thought of him as a good guy. As you said in your article, he did do a lot for his community back in the day so I think that paired with his talent is what sticks in Sinatra’s fans minds. This is why there is a Lincoln Center remembrance exhibit about Sinatra’s 100th birthday.

Also people brought up in some of the other comments that social media is another reason why it is so easy for people to think poorly of celebrities because social media has the stories easily accessible. I believe that to be true and also the bad things get noticed more then if a celebrity is doing something charitable. Also another reason why I am not a fan of Justin Bieber he is not doing much for his community. He might have done somethings, but I don’t think of charitable deeds when I think of Justin Bieber.

1. Shane

Justin does a lot of good deeds. It is really hard having to defend him because a lot of people dont know of the good deeds he does, because the media doesnt show it. Anyways most are often brushed off as inauthentic PR. He is one of the most charitable celebrities today, he supports his food banks back home, HIV organisations, Make-A-Wish foundation(They gave him a champ of charity award for breaking the most record for an artist), Pencils of promise (he builds schools. He was in the philippines to help with disaster relief. He also visits various orphanages. Also, a percentage of his albums, tours goes to charity. All of the proceeds for his christmas album went to charity. Most of them focus on kids, so maybe thats why people don’t really know.

48. Cheyenne Padgett

Even though both Justin Bieber and Frank Sinatra are considered bad boys, Bieber does not compare because he does not try to give back to the community or his fans like Sinatra did. Sinatra kept the majority of his bad boy actions in his personal life and really was a good person when you look at the positive things he did to give back. They offset each other.

49. msvonne88

Besides his music and acting debuts I had no idea about Frank Sinatra’s personal life. Granted I was not born during his generation, but we are definitely living in different times. Celebrities like Justin Bieber are constantly under a magnifying glass and are scrutinized publicly for their faults on a daily basis. Despite all the negative facts about Frank Sinatra people are still forgiving of those who are talented, hence his 100th year exhibit. I am curious to see which celebs will be honored in years to come, despite their faults.

50. emilyrwalsh

I am a huge fan of Frank Sinatra and his music. It is so interesting to hear about his “bad boy” persona because it is so true, when people think of him they think of all his positive attributes. However, he was alive in a very different time. Back then, without the internet and social media, bad behavior was often gone unnoticed. Bieber is always in the spotlight because every move he makes is recorded and known to the public.

Also, I feel that our culture has a huge tendency to respect those who are no longer with us, and rightfully so. Since Sinatra is no longer alive, people like to remember him and all of the good things he did, especially his music. The “bad boy” image he may have had no longer seems important, and he is held as an icon.

I also feel that Sinatra being held as an icon has to do with the talent in his music. Bieber, while famous now, I feel like will not become a huge icon like Sinatra because of the difference in their music. Sinatra is classic and Bieber is pop. I love to see the difference in the work of PR public back in Sinatra’s day to now, it is very interesting.

51. Cass Lang

If Frank Sinatra were to live in this generation, I have no doubt that all of his wrong-doings would have been exposed, sold, and manipulated to make him out to be the worst kind of bad-boy. As we saw with Monica Lewinsky, and with Justin Bieber, this is how social media functions. The internet makes it so easy to ruin a person’s entire image and people enjoy doing so. It is even harder to avoid this as a celebrity because nothing is ever really private.

Though I don’t believe Bieber will ever be as revered as Sinatra, I do believe that he has the potential to win back some of the respect he has lost over the last few years.

His roast on Comedy Central was basically a huge PR stunt in that it served as a way for him to gain the attention of the media, his fans, and his haters, publicly apologize, and announce that he is prepared to take a step forward.

He may not be remembered with an exhibit at Lincoln Center, but he will be remembered. Justin Bieber set many precedents in the music industry and his ‘beliebers’ don’t seem to be going anywhere.

52. rebeccaanncosta

I would never think of comparing Frank Sinatra to Justin Bieber. I don’t believe there has been any musician from this generation whose talent will resonate and be remembered like Sinatra’s. Besides that, I don’t think Bieber is necessarily the bad ass that Sinatra was; he’s just bad.
    On a side note:
    I am personally a big fan of Sinatra because my grandfather’s favorite song was “My Way,” and that exhibit at Lincoln Center sounds like something I would love to see!

53. elizah9

I completely agree! Nowadays I see young celebrities who are committing questionable actions as just “bad teenagers” while Frank Sinatra was seen as so much more than that. He was seen as an icon and a spokesperson for serious issues in our society. His life-long legacy was indeed developed and maintained by great public relations techniques, but it also helped that he was actually involved in those causes. Young celebrities are no longer trying to solve social issues; they are more focused on having the “bad teenager” reputation.

54. Nicholas Mazzarella

Professor Morosoff:

I think it’s interesting how Frank Sinatra, unlike Justin Bieber, was loved by many in spite of his “bad boy” image. In my opinion, one of the reasons that Bieber is not having as much success with his image as Sinatra did may be the media that exist today. Any mistake that Bieber makes is probably going to receive more attention than it should because of the numerous methods of communication through which messages can be conveyed, many of which weren’t even around during Sinatra’s time. With that being said, perhaps the media of today’s digital age constitute why the bad publicity outweighs the good publicity. Granted, I haven’t heard about many Sinatra-esque random acts of kindness committed by Bieber, so the 21-year-old may not be doing his best to help his own cause either. Bieber’s choice to participate in the roast, though, could be seen as one way in which he’s trying to rehabilitate his image. Sure, taking part in a roast is different from “supporting hospitals and scholarships” or “giving to disadvantaged and physically challenged children” like Sinatra did, but all of these actions can produce the same end result – respect from those who have previously looked at you in a negative light.

-Nick Mazzarella

55. Nicole Romeo

Definitely the lack of having social media and the internet when Sinatra was around was definitely the reason why Sinatra did not seem all that bad. In todays world, everything you do is recorded and placed on the internet for everyone to see. There is definitely a lack of privacy and due to this, stars such as Justin Bieber are basically living their lives with someone recording their every move, 24/7. I believe that this “bad boy” appearance is mainly due to the overwhelming amount of media that is present in todays society.

56. Olivia Hayum

I don’t know much about Sinatra and I never knew the extent of his “rebellious” nature and never had the image of him. I suppose that must speak volumes about his PR team. If he was as much a troublemaker as Justin Bieber than he was definitely better at managing his image. I also think a lot of it has to do with the technology we have now. People have cell phones with cameras and can quickly record and post any image they might catch of a celebrity doing something stupid. This has also fostered a trend in our society where I think people want to see this reckless behavior in our biggest stars.

57. Kimberly Minto

I have heard Sinatra’s music occasionally, but I was not aware of his bad boy image. I know that there is a clear difference between his image and Justin Bieber, not only by talent but a number of things. I think that the difference in generation along with the changes in society are a big part of the reason Sinatra stayed in the public’s good graces. While it is clear thar Sinatra was a “bad boy” he was kind to friends and family and charities. Justin Bieber, in my opinion is just “disappointing” because of the way he acts, there is no public kindness there, he just disrupts his neighbors and does anything he can to get arrested again.

58. memlano1

Although I was very much aware of Frank Sinatra’s talents as an artist, I had no idea of his “bad boy” reputation. On the other hand, it seems like Justin Bieber is becoming less known for his music when many of his public outings result in poor behavior. From what you wrote about Sinatra, it seems that his personal problems like multiple marriages and affairs labeled him as “bad,” but he also clearly respected the public with his generous donations and humanitarian efforts. Sinatra’s image is very much unlike Bieber’s, who has acted disrespectful on numerous occasions, such as during his visit to the Anne Frank memorial.

59. Rachel Tyler

As a big fan of Frank Sinatra and his music I have always been aware of his “bad boy” image. This “bad boy” image has never turned me off of his music. I believe his talent made up for his behavior. Though Justin Bieber does have millions of fans as well as the “bad boy” image, his actions are harder to hide. Social media focuses all of its energy on Bieber’s mishaps and mock his music. Sinatra did not have to deal with Twitter constantly following his every mood. Celebrities private lives are no longer private and as a society we make decisions on celebrities based on there actions rather then their talent.

60. Elana

When I think of Frank Sinatra I hear my mom singing along to the KISS F.M radio music and reiterating that this was the best music back when she was my age. In my opinion artists really want people to talk about them. Similarly, Justin Bieber asked for a roast in his name because he wants people to talk about him again. Uniquely, musicians tend to do this because they want the public to talk about them whether it is positive or negative. Lady Gaga is a good example of this because I believe she dresses in an outrageous way to gain attention and have people chat about her.

61. carsoncuevas

Comparing the two stars is definitely interesting. This is my first time hearing that Sinatra had a “bad boy” image as well during his career, yet was still loved by many. I think Justin Bieber has the potential to still exist and be loved by many for a while, simply because of the large fan base of “Beliebers” that he has grown and remained loyal to. I think a fan base trumps all, and in the case of Sinatra as well, it is the people who have loved the artist from the beginning that will continue supporting them regardless of their mishaps or run ins with the law. Good PR helps in keeping up a person’s high profile image although, I don’t necessarily think a little bad press for Justin Bieber or other current artists will eliminate their entire fan base.

62. Vanessa Danielle

I think that if it’s popular to like you then society will, and if it’s not, then you won’t receive an exhibit at the Lincoln Center showcasing your work. With each generation standards for what constitutes as actual talent changes. Though Sinatra and the Biebs have “bad boy” images, and most everyone loved Sinatra, let’s not forget Justin Bieber has a large fan base of “Beliebers” as well, and if he cleans himself up and through action shows the world that he’s making a difference, he very well might receive his own exhibit one day.

63. pjze618

I think that the lack of social media and Internet helped Sinatra distance himself from his bad boy image. Since his escapades weren’t inmortalized like Bieber’s, he was able to be remembered for the charitable work he did and his incredible talent

64. Nicholas Taddeo

To be honest, I was unaware of Frank Sinatra’s bad boy image but like you said, perhaps it was due to his great PR team.

Also, I have to agree that Justin Bieber will not be remembered in the decades to come, not because of talent or bad image, but because of age. Bieber was a young star and his career peaked before he turned 20. In today’s time, the music industry is crammed with teenage/young-adult stars and every few years one is kicked out to be quickly replaced by someone else. Due to these circumstances, Bieber’s legacy will never match Sinatra’s.

65. geow1

I’d like to think that the differences the generations that are fans of these celebrities would also contribute towards their image. Besides that, the contribution of social media and handheld connectivity has further blurred the lines between information and interactive access to the lives of these said celebrities. Their private lives are no longer, private. Perhaps this is why, what we know now and in comparison to then also contributes towards our perception of who’s “better” than others.