Connections + knowledge = PoweR

tin-can-telephone“It’s not what you know but who you know.”

How often has this been said? It’s a cynical question, based on the belief that professional success is primarily due to connections rather than knowledge. But is it true? There’s no question millions of people can point to who they knew as the reason they have a particular job. Case in point: I’ve held 10 full-time positions since my junior year in college and was led to nine of them through people I knew, not through a “help wanted” ad (the one exception being my current job at Hofstra). Making connections through professional networking and personal friendships create an exponential increase in potential opportunities.

“Knowledge is power.”

There can be little argument with that quote. Gaining knowledge through a formal education is essential in our society, but learning beyond the classroom is just as–and is often more–important. When a person brings ideas, problem-solving skills, and sensible approaches to a job, he or she becomes very valuable. And the learning never stops; it’s why nearly every trade and professional group offers conferences, workshops and seminars designed to enhance members’ skills and knowledge.

The point is that both maxims are true. Clearly, knowing people who can help you, advise you and maybe even hire you is key. But you can’t be led to a job without having the smarts to do the job. Conversely, the most intelligent people among us face a lifetime of challenges if they don’t find ways to make connections with people in a position to support them.

It’s why I repeatedly make the case for students to experience PR outside the classroom. The Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) is one platform from which students can begin networking with professionals while learning more about the public relations industry. Hofstra PRSSA’s annual conference, to be held next week on Saturday, May 2, will include a half-dozen presentations in the morning and a networking lunch in the afternoon. It’s an essential opportunity for students to enhance both who they know–and what they know. Your thoughts?

60 thoughts on “Connections + knowledge = PoweR

1. molliealexandra

Though both statements, “it’s not what you know, but who you know” and “knowledge is power” are clearly debatable, I believe that they do indeed hold a certain truth. Successful PR people, or any successful person rather needs to have both connections and knowledge. Being knowledgeable about your profession is great and critical, but being both knowledgeable and knowing people in the business that can help you is even better.

2. Jazmin Corrine Quinci

When I was in high school, I took a law class. I had no idea about the concepts discussed. My teacher asked questions to gauge what the students knew about criminal procedures. Then in my senior year, I did an internship four days a week from 9 am to 5 pm. Watching the process taught me all the concepts I previously could not explain. I still remember the procedural language and process. When I went to college, I excelled in my courses because of the work experience. Working outside of the classroom compliments course materials by showing concepts in real time. This helps the mind to better absorb and retain facts.

Networking provides ample opportunities for job seekers. Meeting seasoned professionals who are open to engagement, willing to make recommendations or to mentor is promising.

3. alyssaobrien

I was fortunate enough to work at the Fresh Air fund last fall. I got the position because of my friend who previously worked there and learned of the position through Pride CMS. The Fresh Air Fund hires largely from Hofstra because of the reputation of its students. I found this interesting because not only was I representing my self while working there but also representing Hofstra and working to maintain the positive relationship that the Fresh Air Fund and Hofstra have.

4. biancaozz

I think that unfortunately, this is truly the case. While I have been able to find jobs and internships through my own merit, many of the times that I’ve advanced, it was because of the people that I knew or connections I had previously made. Working especially in an industry that’s all about interacting with people and “relating” to the “public,” being able to make strong professional connections is crucial.

While this is a big aspect of the PR industry, I think “who you know not what you know” is expanding to other industries as well. As a soon-to-be college graduate, it’s somewhat discerning seeing how much competition there is around me and how strong of a hold networking really has on finding a career.

5. Nancy Haas

Before starting my internships, I felt unprepared for this field. A classroom can only teach an aspiring PR professional so much. The more hands-on experience a person gains, the more comfortable they will feel when starting their career. Unfortunately, it is true that connections play a major role in success. However, this does not mean that a student cannot make their own connections. Hofstra provides so many opportunities for students to practice networking. It is a skill that takes practice, but after a few internships and networking events, one can easily acquire valuable connections. LinkedIn is also a powerful tool for networking. Hopefully, jobs consider a person’s degree and experience, rather than their status. I will find this out during my impending job search.

6. Rock(Shi Yan)

This is totally true. Connections + knowledge = Power. Knowledge will change your life and future. The connections can help the knowledge power in the real life. Keep Thinking more this…

7. alexandra

I agree with the statements in this post, but I also believe a job can be attained on your own with no connections as well. If your personality and knowledge really stands out, you have a higher chance of being hired, regardless of if you know anybody. When searching for an internship, I applied to places I had no connections at, and I ended up getting one pretty quickly. However, networking is definitely huge, especially when it comes to companies that may have not even gotten to your resume if it weren’t for somebody you knew who pushed it through. Therefore, when it comes to the communications field, I believe networking is huge and for sure a helpful leap into a preferable job landing. I also agree that knowledge, and constantly learning in and out of the classroom, as well as when entering your new job, is just as important, if not more.

8. keyanamichelle13

I both agree and disagree with this point. Yes having connections and contacts is an important and vital part of pr and without it your career would be ten times harder. However I do think it is possible to make a career on your own without knowing someone. If somebody has the right skills and talent then anyone can get the job.

9. squiro1

I completely agree with this post. I have always been told that it is all about who you know, and that whenever given the opportunity to network you should. The worst that can happen in a networking situation is that the person you are speaking with cannot help you at the moment. Putting yourself out there will always be the best option in my opinion and I have found in my job search that every interview I have been on has been set up through a mutual contact. Once you prove that you indeed have the knowledge and skills to be successful in the job, your chances of attaining that job are much greater.

10. NMendes1

Based off my past experiences I can say agree. Networking and connecting with people has always opened new doors for me, but what I bring to the table ensures that i can keep a position. Knowledge is power and your network can determine your net worth.

11. Candace

In PR more than most industries I believe that “who you know” is essential. Our industry is based on personalities and connections, and for that reason it will almost always ultimately come down to who you know. Being a valued publicist means you have strong relationships with individuals in the media; you’ve developed great rapport with those int he position to put your client at the top of the list. It’s a publicist’s clip book and digital Rolodex that makes them valuable to their firm, on top of their personality. So I do agree that when push comes to shove, it is about who you know.

12. Grace Finlayson

The two topics talked about in this blog are the two main points I got out of PR 100. Networking not only gets you the job, but is what makes you successful once you are working. That is the same case with knowledge. A PR professional has to be knowledgable about who they are working for as well as everything extra that still pertains to the company or client.
    These two things are what I love about the profession. I love to learn and to be caught up on recent news and to also know what is going on around the world. I am learning more an more about applying for internships and these tips are very helpful.

13. Chris Hoffman

My family kind of made it seem slimy to get jobs based off of who you know, as if having meaningful connections that can help you out along the way is a dirty thing. But I’ve learned (and this blog post has solidified) that it’s okay to know people- it’s not something that takes the place of knowledge, which everyone needs to perform a job. I myself embarked on a networking journey at the beginning of this year in an effort to establish meaningful connections in the music industry and I’ve had great success. I’m now close friends with the producer of The Sing-Off and Pitch Perfect, and he’s given me great guidance as I seek to further my career in this industry. Of course, he wouldn’t have steered me to many jobs if he didn’t think that I was capable and had the required skill sets to perform these jobs. Long story short- you need knowledge AND connections!

14. Chelsea Tennariello

I agree! I believe the two go hand in hand, networking with employers and just people in general is very important, because the more people you know the more connections you can make when it comes to getting a job. At the same time however, a job position goes much deeper than your connection that placed you there. You must be willing to bring more to the table than just yourself, but the upmost knowledge that will set you apart from the others. Knowledge can be obtained in places far beyond the classroom, and it is very important that we as a young generation understand and utilize that! Knowledge is power!

15. Nicole Garcia

Though I used to believe knowledge in a particular field outweighed any other skill, in order to ensure one’s success I now think it’s very much a mixture of knowledge and “who you know.” Just like in social media, despite a site’s content- quality and usefulness without the proper exposure it’s unlikely to live to its full potential.

16. Jess Hershman

While I agree with the idea that networking is important, I believe that it will only take you so far. Your connections may be able to get you an interview; however, if during that interview you come off as uneducated and incapable, you probably aren’t going to receive the job, regardless of who you know.

17. Ariana Queenan

I believe the phrase “It’s not what you know but who you know,” is true is certain situations. I shadowed a Hofstra alumni for the day at NBCUniversal. He shared a story with me about how a previous manager at the company who was also a Hofstra alumni would only hire Hofstra graduates despite their experience level.

I also know Hofstra alumni that have jobs at great companies who didn’t know anyone that worked at those companies prior to being hired. I would argue that getting a job is combination of who and what you know.

18. Williams Ekanem

I used to think, before now, that who you know to secure a job happens mainly in Africa, where nepotism, tribalism hold sway, but from the account on the blog and comments, am surprise that it happens even in a developed economy.
    The “who you know,” factor is far stronger than “what you know,” and its what makes we immigrants find it very difficult to experience career breakthrough, because in most cases we don’t know anyone, and what we know often do not count.
    I am a typical example because in spite of my vast journalism experience at international level, reported the White House, Congress, World Bank, UN etc I have never been invited even to an interview for a media job.
    This is where networking comes in to build new contacts altogether, hoping it pays off.

19. jheiden1

I find both statements to be true. I chose Hofstra so I could take advantage of the nearby connections, knowing they would help me in the future. Though knowledge is also incredibly important, it doesn’t guarantee a position against someone else. Knowledge and connections are both crucial to finding success.

20. Michele Colletti

Both statements hold true to having a successful career in my opinion. Almost all of my jobs i obtained was because of someone i knew who referred me. Networking and connections are key but you also must have knowledge on the internship, job, or person you are trying to connect with. You can only go so far in life with out the other.

21. Victoria Kotowski

I believe both of the statements are true. For me, networking has been crucial to my success in the coaching world because although I have an extensive knowledge of the game, I would not have gotten a job without knowing the right people. Coaching has also helped with my professional career. Coaching so many girls also gives me the chance to meet their parents, who often offer me job opportunities.

22. Dan Schaefer

I think in many cases if you know the right people in a particular area, you have enough knowledge about it to succeed. Very few employers will hire someone just because they know a person. They hire them because they know them and because they know they will do their best to improve.

23. Mike Cox

I’ve always been a firm believer in its all about who you know not what you know but only to an extent. Obviously in our consumer based world it is so important to have good people skills and to be able to have a conversation with a person in order to “close the deal,” you might say. Personally, i’ve always made an effort to meet as many people as i can and become friendly with all of them because you never know who the next person is you might meet and where they might lead you.

24. Jennifer Im

In my career pursuits, I’ve often asked those that went before me for advice. Every single upperclassman I’ve spoken with has told me they found their current job or internship through connections and/or networking. I’ve always expected my job search to start online. I thought networking events were more additional steps I could take to increase my potential opportunities. I realize now that I’ve had my priorities all wrong. I should place developing my connections before taking to all of those job search engines, as even brief conversation is more personal than a resume or application. It’s still odd to me to expect an acquaintance to potentially match me with what I’m seeking, but then again, life is unpredictable.

25. Abby Drapeau

I don’t think that it’s one more than the other. For example, being a member of PRSSA has a lot of benefits and can help you network yourself and give you the ability to meet more people, but that’s not to say that you won’t be able to succeed without it. Networking and knowing the right people can give you a huge advantage when applying for jobs, but without the proper skill-set, it’s almost useless.

26. Marissa Slattery

This sentiment can also be viewed as “which came first the chicken or the egg” type of scenario…who you know can be absolutely critical in some circumstances, but would you have known that person had you not previously put in the work to gain that relationship? Many of the jobs that I have held have been in part, if not completely, due to “who I knew.” That said, getting a foot in the door will only do so much for you if your don’t have the goods to carry yourself through. Being knowledgeable and skilled in your function will continue to further your career trajectory and continue to build your relationships.

27. s5n1el

I think that this is an accurate assessment of the work environment now. Every single job that I have gotten outside of my first job has been because of connections that I have had. I haven’t been particularly qualified for these jobs, but because somebody vouched for me, I got offered a spot. I wouldn’t be nearly as successful if it wasn’t for my connections.

28. Vanessa

I think that having the ability to network is crucial in the PR industry. Joining the Hofstra PRSSA chapter is the perfect way to start/continue in building relationships and communication pathways. Though I do agree with the quote, “It’s not about what you know but who you know” I read in the book Trust Agents that it’s also about “who knows you.”

29. cmichael1

I definitely agree that connections are key and can lead to many opportunities. At the same time however, those connections may not have been successful if you did not seem knowledgable when making that connection or meeting that person. Both characteristics go hand in hand and being both knowledgable academically and socially in terms of experience are important to be successful, especially in the field of PR.

30. Jenn Pizzurro

I agree with this statement but I also believe that this can only bring you so far. Networking is key but in order to be successful you need to be good at what you do. Gaining experience outside the classroom is one of the most important things you can do to make yourself stand out from the crowd. For example, when I was in my undergrad I held three internships all in the marketing field. When I graduated college I spoke to connections I had made and interviewed for a position where I interned and was offered the job. A year later, I have been promoted twice and am now working at a high level for my age in corporate marketing. Making connections is important, but having the good work ethic and performance to make you stand out is really what will advance your career.

31. Katherine Hammer

I think these two quotes are key, but I also think that they should be put together. It is what you know and who you know. Networking is an important factor with any profession, especially for public relations. Knowing people gets you into the door of an interview, but having knowledge about the field you are going into gets you the job. Knowing people can only get you so far, the education you’ve received and the way you display your knowledge is what helps you network even further, and gets you a job. Incorporating these two quotes together can turn out to be very powerful.

32. Andrew Manning

I arrived at the majority of jobs I’ve held through connections, whether friends or people I worked with previously. I used to feel guilty about it, until I realized good interpersonal skills are among the most valuable tools a person can have in any field, and none of these people would have risked their reputations by recommending me if they didn’t think I would do well. Having been in several positions where I had a say in who could be hired/ promoted, I’d say personal recommendations (or in some case, negative personal accounts) were always taken into serious consideration. Some people are very good at presenting themselves, but a third-party endorsement can be critical.

33. Taylor Lawrence

I think in most cases getting a great job has to do both with who you know and your knowledge. If a person knows you but doesn’t think you’re smart enough to do the job it won’t be given to you. But having a connection to an employer definitely gives you an upper hand to the next person without any connections. Sometimes a connection can be made at a job fair, like mine have, while other can be through a family friend. A connection is a connection no matter how you got it and a job is a job no matter who helped you get it.

34. memlano1

I do agree that having connections is helpful to getting your foot in the door for an internship or a job. Relating to this, I just accepted my first internship at a fashion PR agency in NYC. Before applying, I had previously met the PR manager who is good friends with my cousin. This connection was extremely helpful as fashion PR is a competitive industry which I have no experience in, let alone any internship experience at all. Still, I thoroughly researched the company and industry to prepare for my interviews and believe I earned the position fairly.

35. dmeccariello

I certainly think “who you know,” is like having one foot in the door to a company. However, without the knowledge to do the job, who you know means nothing. I have interviewed for many positions where someone within the company recommended me, but I never got the job due to my inexperience. The 2 full-time jobs I’ve held since college I actually did find through job postings. Though I do think part of the reason I was hired for my current job at Hofstra was because I was an alumni of the university.

36. elizah9

Like many of my peers, I feel that networking is the key way to get a job or internship. In many cases, it is indeed not what you know, but who you know. I experienced this when I became really close to one of my supervisors at a not-for-profit that I was volunteering at for the summer. She had a friend who worked for Seventeen Magazine and when her friend mention that she had an opening she inmedineity thought of me. Within mintues, I was connected with someone who can help me jump start my career. This occurrence made me realize that connections of any sort can one day be a potential opportunity.

37. Jen OM

I absolutely agree that who you know is very important. In my opinion, it is more important than it should be, but that is the way it is. I managed to get my current job on my own based on knowledge and experience. But, I also know friends and family members with less education than myself who make more money and hold higher positions because they got their job through someone they know.

I have made some connections through my current position, and my cousin recently got married to a PR professional who has offered to help me out when I am ready to move on from my current job. This makes me feel a lot more optimistic about future positions. Even though I am earning my masters degree right now and did very well during undergrad, I think that knowing people in the industry is what is really going to land me a better position.

38. Cass Lang

Maybe we should come up with a quote that combines both of these ideas? In the communications field specifically, it is impossible to transition from the classroom to the real world without building a network and making connections. But, it is impossible to be successful if you have nothing intelligent to add to the conversation.

There is no one magical key or guide to success. You must be willing and driven to do whatever it takes. Knowing and accepting that, is power.

39. Sarah Holzberg

If it wasn’t for my relationships in the industry I wouldn’t be where I am today. Now I still have to work and learn everyday but networking is incredibly important.

40. afairc1

I could’t agree more, it is all about who you know and networking is key. I work in the film/theatre world and my sophomore year of college I got a Stage Management job for the summer on a big production and the connections on that job have given me consistent work since then, I’ve even had to turn down work because I was already on a different project. When it comes to getting hired in any industry I think you don’t necessarily have to be the best person for the job, you should be qualified for it but if you are social and nice/warm with the people at the company you have a better shot of getting the job than someone who is more qualified than you for the job but isn’t a social and warm towards the coworkers.

41. gabriellefurman

I believe this to be true because there are many things in life that we may not want to do but it is a learning experience. There are many parts to the PR industry that I never thought of or knew and don’t see myself in that area, but I still have to learn it. However, for the section about how knowing people to get jobs that is true. In my internship right now, I emailed someone for a followup after meeting them at a networking event that my boss brought me to and asked when i was graduating to offer me a job to be his assistant. Unfortunately, I am not graduating this year, but if i never went to the networking event and never met my boss I may have not received that opportunity.

42. karisanewkirk

Networking is a huge part in getting a job in my opinion. I picked Hofstra because of the networking opportunities and the percentage of graduates who graduate with a job were more than 90%. clearly it is completely possible to score a job or internship based on just applying, but there’s a better chance if you know a guy.

43. Taylla Smith

I have realized that networking is a huge part of the professional world. Everything is through connections and knowing the right people. I feel as if this way has its pros and cons but nevertheless it is the new way of working and getting the job you may want. I do think Hofstra’s programs are giving their students an advantage by making sure that we are able to network and we know how to speak to professionals and meet other people.

44. kenpow2012

Throughout my college experience i have always heard people talk about making connections in the field you are interested in. To me this is true in not just PR but in every profession. When you gain connection you are also learning things that may not be taught in a classroom. Whenever i make connections with someone i learn something new about my field.

45. emilyrwalsh

In every profession, not only public relations, networking is a valuable tool. I completely agree with you and what you explained in your post. Since I started my PR classes, every professor I had stressed how networking is key. Making connections with people in the same professional field allows you to know more and ultimately make a name for yourself. I completely agree that while networking is good for you to get your foot in the door, it is our formal education that keeps us there. It is finding the balance of networking, knowing people, and having the knowledge in a field that makes for a desirable PR professional. Most of the interviews I have had and jobs I have worked at have been the result of me knowing someone and making connections. Both networking and knowledge are of the utmost importance.

46. carsoncuevas

I agree with both of these quotes. As we all begin our professional careers, it is good to hear from people who have been so successful as a result of networking. Also, while these two statements are very true on their own, I think a combination of the two is definitely what makes success happen. I think connections are useful to land the interview, but knowledge is what will get you to where you want to be. A deep understanding of the industry you are trying to get into as well as the company you are interviewing with is what will make you unique.

47. gluisi

I agree that with PR it is important to learn beyond the classroom. Sure taking tests and writing papers will test your ability regarding the books but there is nothing like learning your profession fro hands on experience. I wish that the curriculum for PR would be less in the classroom and more outside the classroom. I believe that it is essential in the PR world to put yourself out there.

48. Nicole Romeo

Ever since I began attending college, my dad would always tell me to always go out and meet people because having connection with a certain people in the profession you are trying to work in, can ultimately get you a job. I really do believe that knowing people is definitely a way for one to get a job, but of course having a proper education definitely plays a role when one is trying to find a job. Knowledge is definitely power in todays society.

49. Elana

I love the art of networking and that is why I am beyond excited to meet the speakers from the PRSSA Conference! I attended the 2014 conference and I found it extremely valuable because that was when I knew I wanted to pursue public relations. There is this cliché statement my sister always tells me, “wherever you go…make sure to leave your mark!” I like to leave my mark by making sure I get to know people for what they represent and communicate with them (especially people in the industry) through out my college career!

50. Heather Lanci

I think that the first quote can be a little misleading. Because although connections are a very important part of becoming successful in life, what you know should not be overlooked. Maybe a connection will help you get a job, but in the long run the real way you’re going to be successful in that job is if you have the knowledge to secure your position. I think that knowledge is just as important as connections.

51. Nicholas Taddeo

I couldn’t agree more with this post. Similar to you, out of the four serious jobs I’ve had (if working at Adventureland while 14 years old is considered serious), networking and connections played a major role in three.

And without a doubt, knowledge is one of the most important things, not just for maintaining a job, but for growing and experiencing life, and wanting to understand more about your passions. And what I’ve always found very unfortunate is that some people think being smart is not “cool.” But that could be a whole new discussion in itself…

52. Rachel Tyler

I agree with both points. I have had two internships. One through and online application and one through someone I know. I believe that networking is very important not only when you are looking for work but having that connection to share ideas with and being able to talk to that person who shares a common interest. I do believe having a connection is a great way to get an interview for a job but from the interview forward it is your job to prove you are knowledge and deserve the job.

53. geow1

Without a doubt, knowing the right people can make the difference between success and failure. However, we must not be swayed by the idea that other people are the determinants of our own success. Instead we should be open to new opportunities to work with other people and at the same time identify our positioning in every situation we put ourselves in.

54. Kimberly Minto

I agree with both quotes simply because I have experienced the value that they hold in my own life. I learned about several internship positions through professors at Hofstra that I hadn’t even heard of before. In my opinion connections not only open doors, but help you get your foot in the door. Professional connections are the whole purpose of Linked-In so it obviously is necessary and does give you an advantage when applying for positions. As for the next quote knowledge is power, I’ve recently been given a new out look on that. Someone once told me that since I won’t be able to use my body as a working tool like the majority of society, I need to make sure that I can use my brain. For me, knowledge is everything and it is my key to working in society. I whole-hardheartedly believe that knowledge is power for this reason. Knowledge is also infinite which in my opinion makes it the most powerful thing in the world.

55. Tamara Russo

It’s a combination of both. If you know the right person, it can be a hit. But if you’re not knowledgeable about the field or the job you’re inquiring, knowing the right person is useless.

56. Ashley Fazio

I am a firm believer in making connections. My dad is one of the most social people I know. I have learned a lot just from watching him make connections and friendships with people that who you know in life can really help you out. Just knowing the right people gives you a better shot at most things. It is always good to be a friendly open-minded person. The more people you meet in life the better. It is also very important to know and be able to handle a lot on your own. In PR we learn the importance of networking. Knowledge is power. Not only should you have great networking skills, but you should also have a lot of knowledge on many different topics. It is important to know a little about a lot.

57. Nicholas Mazzarella

Professor Morosoff:

We often hear about the importance of making connections in the communications industry, and Hofstra does a great job of allowing its students to make those connections by hosting conferences and bringing in panels of professionals. Excelling in the classroom is extremely important, but so is making one’s name known among pros in his or her desired field.

However, I think many people believe that knowing someone is the only requirement to land a job, and I like how you argue against that. Yes, people may be led to jobs by connections that they have made, but those people will struggle mightily if they never acquired the skill sets that are necessary to succeed.

Like you said, making connections and possessing knowledge are both crucial. With connections and little knowledge, the job to which you were led may seem troublesome. With knowledge and no connections, you may have a difficult time finding a job.

I am looking forward to Hofstra PRSSA’s annual conference this Saturday. I am sure that many students will benefit from the opportunity to make connections and learn about public relations at the event.

-Nick Mazzarella

58. rebeccaanncosta

Having connections in public relations is something that has been instilled in my brain since the first day of PR 100. Personally, the idea of networking makes me cringe, but once I talk to someone with experience, I want to write down every word s/he said. Learning the basics of PR in class is important, but talking to people who deal with PR on a daily basis and can talk about crisis and crazy clients is real life. The other bit of advice that knowledge is power is something I 100% agree with; my parents have always told me no one can take away an education. As PR professionals, we must know a little about everything and be informed about what is going on in the world around us- hence the trivia which starts each class.

59. pjze618

I agree on both counts. Several of my internships have come from people I know. But I would not have been successful at those internships had I not been knowledgeable about the subject matter. Being able to talk about a multitude of subjects will help create the necessary connections to get ahead.

60. msvonne88

I agree with the statements in this post. In my experience my past jobs and internships were based on just applying online. However I do believe that networking is an essential part of the excelling in your career. Staying abreast of current trends in the industry as well as furthering your education will help you stand out amongst your peers. Especially as a young professional, knowledge definitely is power!