Plugging into Resources

63 Comments on Plugging into Resources

PRSSA logoIn my fundamentals of public relations courses, my students and I identify good online resources for information about the industry. There are so many blogs and web sites providing students and professionals with tips, guides, internships, professional development, and networking opportunities. Usually these sites are created by trade organizations including the Public Relations Society of America, Institute for Public RelationsInternational Public Relations AssociationPR Council, and many others. I also encourage my students to visit the web site of the Public Relations Student Society of America (prssa.prsa.org), an organization of student-run PRSA chapters at universities and colleges all over the country.

One nice feature of prssa.prsa.org is Progressions, a blog for students featuring articles written by other students, educators and professionals. Its topics include advice for internship and career success, discussions of current events and public relations issues, best practices for connecting with professionals, advice for planning meetings and events, and more. There are other PR bloggers worth looking at, and Forbes.com has compiled a list. Here are just a few:

Bulldog Reporter — Its publication, The Daily Dog, offers “timely, insightful PR news and feature content that drives traffic and builds an online community of PR practitioners, agencies and service providers.”

Cision NewsletterForbes says, “The Cision blog is well-organized with best practices, media updates, trends, news, influencers and other PR essentials.”

O’Dwyer’s — A “straightforward, factual, online version of industry watcher O’Dwyer’s magazine.” It’s inside news of the public relations and marketing communications industries.

Ragan’s PR Daily — “Industry articles, PR case studies and guidelines, media relations studies,” plus news, advice, and opinions on the PR, marketing, social media, and media worlds.

Spin SucksForbes says this site features “punchy writing, hard-hitting topics, and is not the usual self-serving industry blather.”

Preparation for a PR profession may begin with course work, but students should also be plugging into resources outside the classroom. These sites–and Hofstra’s PRSSA chapter–are excellent places to start. Check out these web sites and blogs, and stop by the next PRSSA meeting to network and learn. After all, it’s your future career! Your thoughts?

63 thoughts on “Plugging into Resources

1. premierorion

I feel that these sites are all great resources that PR majors should know and visit often. They should seek any help, tips or internships they can get that will give them an edge over everyone else in the competitive job market.

2. Bianca Kroening

I remember my first week of PR 100 we discussed all sorts of PR websites and I’m so glad we did! I subscribed to a bunch of them and now get a nice daily source of readings! They’re definitely great for the aspiring PR Professional to start getting informed!

3. awoolman13

Thank you for posting these reference sites. I’m a Journalism major, but I’m definitely thinking about including PR somewhere in my degree, and these sites definitely helped me grasp a better understanding of the subject.

4. Judea Hartley

I really love this blog. I strongly feel that all Public Relations majors need something like this. Sometimes it’s so difficult finding internships or the right jobs, or simply just the right information!! The information given through this blog serves as a guideline to the industry; information that we can explore and dissect that will enable us a great sense of direction. As a graduate student, in my PublIc Relations classes, I find it fascinating the information that I am given in regards to primary research and secondary research;the information that I am taught regarding stakeholders, social media, and criss management. I think this blog will serve as guide and blue print in the Public Relations field. i am very excited to view future postings/information.

5. kgorsky1

I think that these resources can be extremely helpful to aspiring PR professionals in particular. As a student studying PR, it can be difficult to really understand the industry while still in the classroom. However, using resources such as these give students a better glimpse into what is actually going on in the industry and what they will be doing in their future profession.

6. jennamorace

I thought this was very helpful because of all of the different sites listed. All of these resources can easily help someone get background knowledge on Public Relations if they are unfamilar with what its all about. It also shows how important networking is in this industry. Another thing i enjoyed in the post was how he stated that students need to get involved outside of the classroom in which i really agree with. Overall i thought it was a very informative post.

7. A. Murphy

I agree with much of what others have been saying. Doing your research and learning about the industry and going beyond the classroom is what is going to help in the long run. But I believe that learning going beyond just learning about PR and what is happening in the industry but including in your research what is going on in current events and more so, what has happened in the years past that is now considered history.

These are all great resources and I am excited to dig deeper into what they offer. Thank you for providing a great list and a great wealth of knowledge to those of us in the beginning stages of our PR adventure.

8. Liz Steinberg

Although I am not a PR major, I have been considering tacking on a minor in the subject area. I find this post helpful, especially because you noted one of the main clubs Hofstra has on campus. We can learn only so much in the classroom, but the real experience comes from what you do outside of it. Hofstra is a great campus because it offers all of us a chance to do that. It’s nice to have all of the main resources right here. We can move forward with our careers both inside and outside of the classroom!

9. R.J. Cherpak

Throughout my experience in the field of communications, professors have put much emphasis on how important it is to get internships in order to make your resume stand out and get professional experience before entering the work force and these sites mentioned above are a great way to go about doing so. The Pride CMS feature is another great way to find internships and jobs in the PR field as I constantly see different internships being offered at the many firms in New York City. Last spring, I interned at a PR firm in Manhattan and actually used one of the websites mentioned above called Cision, which I fond very helpful when it came to finding news reporters and publication’s contact information.

10. Allie Giordano

Having all of these PR resources in one place is really helpful and a great way to become more familiarized with what is happening in the world of public relations. These blogs all have great tips, guides, internships, professional development, and networking opportunities which is perfect for students looking to further their career in this field.

11. alexivelasquez

I believe some of the best lessons in the communications industry are learned outside of the classroom, and online resources are the best way to start. It’s important to stay up to date on how the industry is changing so that you can adapt and use it to your advantage. The PR tools listed here are extremely helpful for students starting out in PR or just simply want to get a look at what is going on in the PR world.

12. maryreginamurphy

First off I’d like to say thank you for showing me these resources available to me as a PR Student. I only decided to go into this industry last semester and I went in with limited knowledge on the field. With an industry like this I have come to learn that networking and connections are VERY important in order to succeed. Now I was able to make an account on the PRSSA website where I can learn a little more about the field, and hopefully use as a resource to find internships and possible future job opportunities.

13. Danny Nikander

Public Relations can be a complicated subject. I am never able to give a good answer when people ask exactly what PR is. It is good to know that there are many resources out there to connect with PR majors/minors/professionals like me, who started where I am now. I like how interconnected the community is and how eager they are to share tips and advice to shape me into a true public relations professional. It shows that the PR world that I am going into wants to prosper together and do whatever possible to succeed, which is something every college student aspires to do. I am excited to learn from these professionals and fellow students.

14. sabrinaoneil

As a person who is new to the PR world (I just changed my major from science), I have so much to learn about the field. Luckily, I live in a time where all sorts of information is just a click away and blogs like these are readily available. I am thankful that you have opened my eyes to these blogs. I will definitely be reading these to expand my PR knowledge and prepare myself for future endeavors in this field.

15. Daphne Kotridis

These are all great resources – it’s so important for students to engage in some real world material instead of just what is written in our text books. I especially like Spin Sucks. I find their articles to be funny and amusing while still making accurate points about the field.

16. Forrest Gitlin

I have had difficulty finding PR internships in the past on sites dedicated to internships in all fields (i.e Internships.com) but seeing these resources gives me a renewed confidence that I may actually find opportunities to work hands on in PR. Looks like I will be bookmarking them and taking a look at all they have to offer!

17. Jillian Zagorski

Becoming educated in the field of Public Relations is extremely important whether this is your life long career or just a semester of your college education. In a country where most jobs are not guarenteed after you do “your time” in school, we in the fields of public relations, communications, journalism etc. are very lucky. Yes there may not be a job for me at the moment, as an aspiring journalist, but that’s because my job has not yet been created. Everyone loves to complain about this generation of up and coming adults but we are the ones who are advancing technology past its known extent, and those who are unwilling to keep up will be left behind. Social media, especially, is becoming more and more advanced but also used by almost everyone around the world in some shape or form. Our technological world is starting to revolve around social media for better or for worse. For better- because jobs are posted, interviews are set up, and people become employed- the right people. For worse- because we have forgotten the use of proper verbal social skills to the point where most face to face confrontations are extremely awkward or just absent completely. More importantly- jobs need to be created and the qualified person who suits this job should be employed. Job listings and postings on these many PR websites have helped so many who needed the job whether it be their first or 5th. I myself recieve e-mails linked to websites, in which I am very grateful for, from professors at my university with job and internship offerings in my area and out. It is great to be informed of so many different offerings in different areas, and the best part of it all is that we can easily fill out and send applications online- something that could not be possible with such advances in the system. You can send in as many applications to as many job/ internship listings, and I’m sure another door will open from there.

18. thesimplemind1

I love that there is such a variety of outlets for PR majors to do research. Not only that but they are perfect for putting you in contact with potential employers or internship possibilities. It is definitely great to be able to look on any of these blogs and see what people are doing in the day-to-day life of PR professionals. It helps me to figure out what aspects of PR I might want to focus on and gives me advice on how to get there.

19. hallieabish

These websites are definitely helpful for me because it is difficult to determine what websites are actually useful for a college PR student like myself. These sources will be useful when applying for internships for this summer. In addition, the link provided featuring student articles is something I intend to read. In my opinion articles written by other students are much easier to relate to and something that I value.

20. Hailey Oliveri

When I was looking for PR websites Bulldog Reporter was one of the ones I found and that I had liked. I had never heard of the PRSSA until this class and just recently one of my instagram friends, who is the president of her schools chapter of the PRSSA, has been posting a ton of pictures in relation to the group and it’s drawn interest from me.

21. jennsmulo

These public relations resources are so helpful for students looking for internships and people starting out their career. They’re also such great sources of knowledge. Using these websites is vital to success in the PR industry.

22. Alexis Carfagno

I find it so beneficial that these blogs and sites were created for people who are interested in the field of public relations! It continues to leave me in awe that every profession is adapting to changing times and the influence of digital media and bringing different types of resources to people to help them learn more about the profession they want to be in! These sites are really informative because in addition to learning more about public relations through our classes and by reading a text-book, we can get what feels like a “hands-on” experience since we’re reading something that is written by students, who may be in the same situation as us, or professionals who are giving advice that we’ve always wanted to learn!

23. Dan Hanson

I feel that these websites are great ways to stay connected. PR is so vast these days and it’s important to use these in order to keep up to date when researching different topics. Very helpful, indeed.

24. kassaramcelroy

As a student who just recently declared her major, these sources regarding Public Relations are extremely helpful for getting a deeper understanding of the field. These links will be helpful for networking, learning, and staying involved.

25. Maddi Roman

I’m thankful we live in an age where we have information at our fingertips. The internet makes being resourceful simple. This list is helpful to all PR majors and people who have similar majors. The vast amount of information the internet carries, along with the connections it offers, are evident and growing. In this instance, the list is abundant with useful tools.

26. Martin Bradshaw

I think lists like these are really useful for anyone who wants to learn more about PR. Public Relations deals heavily with the internet and social media and it’s a field that revolves around staying informed and having quick, easy access to information. So it makes sense that blogs and other social media outlets like these are an effective way to learn and/or stay informed about PR.

27. Marc Roessle

As a student that has a different major other than PR, I feel that these websites and sources are a great way for students with a PR major to start getting prepared for the industry. If I was a PR major, I know I would be taking full advantage of these PR sources

28. Sam

These are some great resources even for those of us who are not PR majors. It’s so important to make good first impressions no matter what field you may be going into. When making connections within your field, whether you’re doing so through internships or other means, it is key to sell not only your skills but your image as well.

29. mcooke12014

As a student studying communications all of my professors have stressed how important it is to be involved in the industry outside of the classroom. As I advance in my college career I can recognize the importance of that statement more and more. Being in a business where so many things happen and change quickly it is imperative to remain aware of all those advancements and changes. This blog post contains so many useful tools and resources to allow PR professionals to remain up to date in their field. Thank you very much for sharing valuable advice and insight, I am sure to take advantage of all this information!

30. Victoria Reid

I think blogs are a great way to find out more about what’s going on in the PR industry. As a junior, the idea that networking and knowing what’s going on is really starting to hit home. It’s reassuring to know that there are tons of resources both online and on campus to gain more knowledge.

31. Lindsey Noto

PR blogs are so helpful for staying on top of the ever-changing world of communications. PR is an evolving industry, and blogs are an excellent resource for keeping tabs on what is new and what is working.

32. lpardee1

As a current Junior at Hofstra University’s School Of Communications I am required to determine a minor to compliment my Journalism Major. I have always had an idea the Public Relations and Journalism go hand and hand with one another, but I never really knew much about PR as a profession. With sources such as the ones we had to look up in class and the ones you list from your blog I have so many ways of learning if PR is the right minor for me and where I see myself as a graduate of Hofstra University in two short years.

33. Rachel Tyler

While participating in my internship this summer I realized just how important it is to stay up to date with the latest trends. This is something all teachers have stressed in class and I half did but when in the field it is a necessity. I have found that blog subscriptions are the best way to get a bit of everything that is going on in the world.

34. Jessica Granger

As an incoming transfer who just declared her major, this post was very helpful. I am interested in reading many of the other top blogs on forbes.com as the ones you posted are very interesting. I definitely want to stop by a PRSSA meeting and see more ways to get involved in the PR community.

35. lambchopss

I enjoyed this post. I found it helpful as a PR major to see the availability of resources to us even just as students studying the field. I can see those blogs being useful to me now and in the future. I love blogging, and reading other blogs is just as fun!

36. Pakelody Cheam

This is an excellent resource for PR majors, or just anyone interested in the field. Thanks so much and I can’t wait to check these sites out!

37. Rebecca Haines

As a Public Relations major, this blog post was very useful. The links you included are nothing but beneficial to anyone who is a PR major or just interested in the field. I completely agree that in order to get a better understanding of PR, knowledge outside of the classroom is necessary. I believe that goes with everything, though. You can never know everything about something, so gaining knowledge on something like PR, can help you in so many ways.

38. Tara

When I saw that the article was on PR websites I was reminded of the previous class discussion we had about PR organizations online. I’m still unsure about going into Public Relations, but it is helpful to know there is so much information on the subject. I quickly glanced at each of the blogs and especially liked the Cision blog. It is simple to navigate and interesting to look through. I will most likely be visiting it again, in the near future.

39. Sarah

Thank you, Professor Morosoff! I am a public relations major so this was the perfect post for me. I am only in my second year so, I am still new to the Public Relations field. This is a great way to really find out all of the details within the field and stay up to date. Having these websites will definitely help me with my research.

40. Peta Clayton

This semester has been the first time I have taken a PR class and it’s so nice to learn that there is such a wide variety of PR sources available. Aside from text books and the information that I’ve learned in class, it’s helpful to have even more insight about the industry. I’m excited to start to reading these different sites and compare and contrast their advice and methods. Thank you for posting these helpful links! This information will be helpful when I start to apply for internships as well.

41. audrathorsen

It’s great to see how many PR websites are out there for not only people who are already working in the PR field, but also for students to get a better understanding of the job. I never knew there were so many resources out there for students to get ahead of the game and learn more about what is to work in PR. It makes me more confident that I have a great future ahead of me (being a PR major) because I am learning all of the different directions I can go in for this field. I don’t have a single regret choosing this major because of all the opportunities and resources there are out there.

42. joebarone28

These links are going to be very useful, especially for the Public Relations majors. As a journalism major with a minor in PR, I still will look into these websites to build a foundation of PR in the back of my head. Thank you, Professor!

43. Lourdes Carballo

As a person who did not have much knowledge on what the profession of Public Relations was all about, it’s exciting to see to how flexible it is and the many directions in which it could take you depending on your personal goals and interests. After skimming through these blog links found above, they seem to to offer something unique depending on the individual reading them. Spin Sucks is an eye catcher just by the name itself and seems to be written out so relaxed and stressed free. Yet informative about the PR world. Bulldog Reporter and Cision seem like extensions apart from the textbook for students to get live updates on PR resources and content in an ever changing profession. I felt that I had to look long and hard at O’ Dwyers’s website to find something PR related. Perhaps it’s due the simple website formatting. PR Daily caught my eye because it seemed as if I were looking at a print newspaper website like the New York Times.

44. vciavarella24

Thank you for posting the links to these blogs! I enjoyed scrolling through and browsing through each one because there were some I have never heard of before. My favorite out of them all was bulldog reporter, I found that one most interesting. I do believe it is important for us to read blogs since we are mostly addicted to social media and other apps. I feel that reading is important to generate ideas and learn from others. Just from reading blogs recently, it makes me want to create my own blog! They’re very helpful and fun to read.

45. Jack De Gilio

I’m so glad that in this day and age there are a bunch of resources available to not only learn more about PR, but also making connections with those in the field. Networking is key to getting a job or even a career, and I think all of the resources in this post will help make it easier to not only network, but also to help gain more insight in this profession.

46. Emily Green

Thank you for posting this blog post filled with helpful PR sites to browse! It is so important for PR people to read a lot and stay up-to-date in the media, but sometimes it is hard to determine the best sites to browse. This is a concise list of a few of the many resources out there and it is one that I will definitely reference regularly.

47. Kylie T.

Thank you for posting this list! Because I am new to the PR world, being introduced to interesting blogs like these are very beneficial. I’ve just briefly looked through each site and have Bookmarked each on my laptop. I am particularly interested in the Cision Newsletter and Ragan’s PR Daily.

48. Sara Fox

This was an extremely useful blog post. What college student wouldn’t find sites that help with things like networking opportunities and internships useful? In this day and age, it is not enough to breeze through college, get your diploma and find a job. Instead, it is all about who you know and your experiences. Being knowledgeable about the PR field is also important which is why visiting and exploring these sites and blogs is crucial for an inspiring public relations professional.

49. Emily DiLaura

Some of these site I have never heard of and I cannot wait to take a look! As a senior, it is always great to further advance my PR knowledge, connections, and sources outside of the classroom! You can never do too much research when it comes to your career

50. ChloeLauraDale

Since PR is such a broad field, the thought of deciding on a career path is quite daunting. PR firm or a non-profit? Individual client or start-up company? There are endless options and reading other people’s experiences can help to narrow it down. We can’t experience it all, so it becomes important to get insights from others. Being well read can also introduce us to new tools, new opportunities and exciting events. Relating to different blogs is another way to digest what we learn in class. Reading beyond the textbook and learning about the industry directly from the insiders is certainly a good idea for everyone studying PR.

51. Katherine Hammer

I am glad that these blog sites were shared because I had no idea they existed. These sites all have a lot of information that might be missed in a classroom or an internship. I enjoy how there are so many resources now for the field of public relations to find connections and receive advice. I agree that outside resources increase your knowledge greatly, and the sites I have looked at so far from this post have already been helpful and useful.

52. codyrdano

As a PR major, I have used many of these blogs and resources in the classroom, and at my internships. They are a great way to keep up with the latest trends, and to stay in touch with what is going on in the world.

53. jheiden1

PR outside the classroom seems to be just as important as in classroom education. Networking has taught me a great deal about the profession as well as how to get my foot in the door in the real world. The fundamentals are important, but applying those fundamentals at an internship can be just as vital.

54. laurabellini

The fact that there are so many resources for the advancement of PR careers is so useful. The internet has opened up many avenues for networking as well as tools for developing skills in the Public Relations field. After browsing a few, I feel like I have a better understanding of the field. Like Emily stated above, a student can learn the basics in the classroom, but the real world experiences are what is going to teach us the most about the career at hand. These websites are a window to those real world experiences.

55. Jeff Lansky

I am a journalism major and this class is my first experience with public relations. This list of PR blogs will be useful to me as I begin to learn more about the business.

56. jhlabella

As a senior and a public relations major I have attended a few PRSSA meetings and have had great experiences each time I have attended. I enjoyed this post due to the many different blogs and help websites that could assist a senior like me getting ready to go out into the world of public relations in the next six months. I was also unaware that there are multiple different chapters of PRSSA at different universities! (learn something new everyday)

57. emilyrwalsh

I really love this blog post! PRSSA and PR blogs are helpful tools for making connections and learning more about the ever-changing field. It’s quite interesting because a few days ago I was talking to friends about PR. We all agreed that while we learn the fundamentals of our field in the classroom, you need experience outside of the classroom to succeed as well. Internships and outside sources are extremely helpful.

58. Abby Drapeau

I’m glad you posted a list of PR blogs because I’m always looking for new blogs to read. Blogs are a great way to get insight of the industry that you can’t always get in the classroom.