InsPiRation, every day

Cass_Jordan_Molly

At the Hofstra Gala with Class of 2016’s (l.to r.) Cass Lang, Jordan Heiden and Mollie Wichtel.

There’s no greater honor for a teacher than to be recognized by his or her students. So when I was named 2016 Teacher of the Year at Hofstra’s Lawrence Herbert School of Communication last week, I couldn’t have felt more gratified, humbled and joyful knowing my students saw fit to give me an award.

But it’s my students who deserve the accolades.  They inspire me every day.  Their dedication to learning and desire to succeed fills me with the motivation to be the best I can be as an educator. As another semester ends, I say goodbye to our graduates feeling good about the work my colleagues and I do to prepare the next group of future public relations professionals.

This year I’ve been inspired by seniors and grad students including Lauren, who wrote and presented a significant research paper on #blacklivesmatter; Ashley, who thoroughly researched and reported on PR ethics; and Samantha, who studied the state of public relations agencies in Estonia where she lived for a semester. Their efforts rivaled the best of any academic work.

I’ve watched how Nathalie, whose charisma and unparalleled leadership of Hofstra’s PRSSA Chapter worked to build PRSSA into a powerhouse campus club, and helped inspire fellow students Saralynn, Kristin, Lauren, Tara, Arielle, Briana, Jasmine, and others to run dozens of programs and events. Together, they were selected to host what was a highly successful regional conference.

I’ve been inspired by international students who left their homes and moved thousands of miles to be educated in the United States. Significantly challenged by language and culture, they’ve succeeded through their determination to earn a college degree.

I’ve also been inspired by my graduate assistant Jessica and student aide Emily. They’ve handled several special PR projects this year with competence and enthusiasm.

I wish I could name every student who’s inspired me because as my sixth year at Hofstra ends, I’ve never been happier and more excited to be in a classroom. I’ll miss our graduates terribly but look forward to another year of inspiration. Your thoughts?

36 thoughts on “InsPiRation, every day

1. Nathalie

Your award was well deserved, Professor! And thank you so very much for your kind words. It’s a bittersweet feeling knowing that I will be leaving Hofstra soon. I am so thankful for all of the opportunities that have come into my life because of my peers and my professors. Onto bigger and greater things, but Hofstra and its people will always be in my heart.

2. Erin Schmitt

Congratulations, Professor Morosoff! I couldn’t agree more with this recognition, and I’m so happy for you to receive it. What has made me so grateful to be a student at Hofstra, and even more so a PR major, is the incredible team of professors who have been invaluable to both my education and my career. I can’t thank my professors enough, you included, for genuinely caring about helping students succeed. Again, congratulations on your well-deserved honor. You earned it!

3. Sharlys Leszczuk

I believe that a professor is defined by his or her students because their successes are what determine the effectiveness of the lessons they were taught. A professor’s job is to not only educate his/her students but act as a mentor, a friend and a connection. That being said, professors are not able to serve all their students in the same way. Students have their own responsibility to reach out to professors, ask questions and seek help as needed. In the PR field, it is especially important to make connections and network with professors because they have incredible connections in the industry to help students succeed in the future.

4. Pamela Lacayo

Congratulations professor for being a great inspiration. You deserve the award. You are truly loved and appreciated by your students. We, the graduating, will miss you as well.
    I have learned a lot this semester and you were always willing to answer any questions or concerns. Which I am grateful for.

Best!!!
    Pam

5. molliealexandra

Congratulations! It is such an honor to receive that award and it is well deserved. You have been such an incredible mentor, advisor and professor; someone I have truly learned a great deal from. Thank you! Also, great picture!

6. Sabrina Cwenar

I loved this post especially because it mentioned Nathalie! She has been such a great peer to work with this semester. I learned so much from my group and well as from Professor Morosoff. This is my last semester at Hofstra and I am happy to have ended it with such inspirational people!

7. A. Murphy

I was worried coming into this program and was worried if I had made the right decision. As my first year of graduate school comes to a close, I am happy to say that I made the right decision for me.
    Graduate school, Hofstra, and the public relations program have taught me so much about myself and the PR field. I am excited about my future, a future made possible in part by Hofstra’s MAPR program.

8. Kyle Kandetzki

Congratulations on the honor of Teacher of the Year! There are so many different impactful professors at Hofstra, and in the School of Communication that have taught me so much, so I’m glad that your work and efforts have meant so much to not only our class, but to all those that have come to Hofstra for PR. I’m sure it has impacted in the classroom and in the real world.

9. Lysa Carre

Congratulations Professor Morosoff! If any professor deserves it, it would be you 🙂 As you stated, “I’ve never been happier and more excited to be in a classroom,” I agree and feel the same way. Although my first semester of graduate school was very challenging, you helped prepare me tremendously for what’s to come, which contributed toward my accomplishments this past Spring semester. You helped me develop a greater understanding of public relations and enabled me to manage the work load much better. Strategic Writing has been my favorite class of this program so far and it was taught by the best! Enjoy your summer and I look forward to working with you in the upcoming semesters.

10. Lauren A.

Congratulations Professor!
    With everything you do to help your students grow and succeed you deserve it! All your work in the classroom and outside the classroom, with PRSSA and helping students, clearly does not go unrecognized. You have taught me so much this semester and I will continue to see you around campus, both in and out of the classroom.
    Congrats again and thank you for teaching us.

11. Goodnews

I’m pleased to see the feat PRSSA has achieved and is achieving. I think the Association will help student-members to plan their future career wise.

I thank Professor Morosoff for the great work done and I send regards to the PRSSA executives.

12. xuhansite

Last week, I wrote my blog about a conclusion of my PR study at Hofstra. In my blog, I said you are an influential professor for me. You always speak slowly with a clear mind and solve students’ problems quickly. Above all you teach your classes well. Although I only took one class with you, I benefited much from the course. You deserve the honor. Congratulations!

13. syanok

Congratulations again Professor Morosoff! The award was well deserved. You always make time to meet with us and help us on our journey to become great PR professionals. Thank you for being a great professor and source of knowledge, and for always being supportive of our PR goals.

14. taylorpirone20

Congratulations Professor! I am grateful to be in this program and be one of your students. I have already learned so much in this program. I am excited for another year of perfecting my PR abilities

15. Jillian Berardi

Congratulations on being named 2016 Teacher of the Year for the School of Communications. What an honor. It was well deserved. I really enjoyed your PR 100 class. You have provided us with the necessary foundation to have a successful PR career. Thank you for sharing your passion for PR with all of your students. Congratulations to the graduates!

16. Russ Benner

Congrats Professor!!

Well deserved for sure. Putting together a historic Timeline and teaching the future of American PR professionals are just two things of many you have done to receive the award. Also, shout out to our PRSSA staff on running a great Regional Conference ** Fire Emoji**

17. John Grillea

Well deserved! Congratulations Professor Morosoff! You really have been an inspiration to all of us and it means a ton to know how much you really care. This was my first semester in our program, which I was nervous for, but you made it beyond welcoming and educating for us all. Thanks for all you do for the students!

18. Vanessa Major

Congratulation Professor, well done! This post made me smile. It’s great to see knowledge passed on to the next generation and the gratitude and achievement that comes along with it.

19. Nikita Hakels

Congratulations to all the graduates! I can’t wait to graduate next year. I couldn’t have made a better decision in my career than moving to US specifically to Hofstra. I was terrified at first but I have to say that the faculty has been so helpful specially you. Right from our Skype interview till today. So thank you for making this journey easier. I appreciate it and look forward to another experience filled year 🙂

1. Nikita Hakels

Oh and yes Congratulations Prof Morosoff for being named 2016 Teacher of the Year at Hofstra’s Lawrence Herbert School of Communication 🙂

20. Carolyn Leonardo

Congratulations! I think it is rare to find a teacher/professor that has such an impact on students. Personally I can count on one hand the number of professors that have helped me more than any other teacher has in all my years of being in school. I think you can tell when a professor is going to be influential to your life when they have an actual passion for what they are teaching you. Also when a professor has many years of life experience in the subject it really helps the students understand it more. I found that my best professors learned about the subject through life experiences, not just through a textbook.

21. Tiffany Vellis

First and foremost, congratulations for being named the 2016 Teacher of the Year for the School of Communications! My mom is a first grade teacher, so I hear her talk about how much of an impact each of her classes has on her each year, thus I’m not surprised to hear you talk about your college-level students with such a respect. From the other side of the spectrum, I’ve had some truly incredible professors at Hofstra University, some of which I’ve taken a second and third semester for the connection that I made with them and their style of teaching. All in all, I’m grateful for professors like you, who go the extra mile to capture and hold our attention through a long semester, and inspire us to keep learning outside of the classroom.

22. ariokonofuablog

Congrats Professor Morosoff – this is so well deserved! I’m sure I can speak for the other graduate students when I say that you’re an amazing professor who cares for us.

23. rachelg

Congratulations on the award! It was definitely well deserved. I really enjoyed your class. Not many professors are as passionate about their work, while being compassionate towards their students as you are. It is something that makes a professor stand out. I’m so glad that other students recognize your hard work and dedication.

24. SShak

Congratulations on receiving your award Professor Morosoff, it was well deserved! It really is interesting to see how far many of us have come in the year we have completed. Come the fall, I too will be one of the students graduating and I look forward to it, but it also means leaving behind a chapter that went far too quickly.

25. Elaine

In fact, May is filled with sad because many many students graduate from their universities. Teacher will feel sad, so are students. But I want to say no matter who leave you, you will meet new students every semester. No matter who graduated, they will appreciate their teachers. Next year, I will graduate too. I don’t want to consider it.

26. Emily Weeks

Congratulations on being named the 2016 Teacher of the Year! I really enjoyed being in your class and learning in PR100! I’m always going to be very careful using commas and apostrophes for the rest of my life. I see the affect you have on other students who have had more classes with you and had you as an internship adviser and I don’t believe they could have named a more deserving professor.

27. capriceoliver

I think that is awesome and you are very deserving of the award. This has been a big weekend for graduates all over. My friend just graduated from Howard University where the President himself was the keynote speaker. It only makes me reflect on my journey here from California and the sacrifices I made to leave everything and everyone to get here. I can only think about being halfway there. This time next year I will be an graduate and there is no greater feeling!

28. azachar1

I am truly touched and honored to be included in your blog post this week! We are so lucky to have you as a professor and I could not be more thankful that you also are my graduate studies advisor. Researching PR ethics/spinning concerns in PR has been one of the most fascinating and rewarding experiences so far in my academic career.

Thank you for all the work that you do for both the PRSSA at Hofstra and for continuing to build a very strong graduate studies in PR program.

Congratulations on your award and I look forward to another incredible year in this program!

29. Judea Hartley

This post really makes me smile. When one enrolls in any college/school, the objective is to succeed. All semester long, we as students express how difficult the exams are or how much homework we have to do. We go on with how a particular professor doesn’t like us and how his/her grading techniques are unfair. I’ve come to realize, all of these expressions just stem from our desire to finish what we’ve started; our education. Next year when I graduate with my masters, there won’t be any words to express how happy I am going to be. Hard work really does pay off. The encouragement and lessons that I learned from my first year of graduate school, have really inspired me to continue my education and to pursue my dreams.

30. shollwedel

I feel like people forget that college is definitely an experience for the professors as well. This is my first semester in the program at Hofstra and I can certainly see why you earned this award. The program is much more hands on and tailored towards real world experience as opposed to theory which I found many programs to be dedicated towards. You’ve developed a graduate courseload that actually prepares you for work after graduation and it’s clearly appreciated by your students. Congratulations on the award!

31. pjze618

Congratulations Professor Morosoff!! My four years at Hofstra and two and a half with the PR department have been so wonderful! I’ve learned so much, this semester in PR 107 especially, and I’ll be sad to see it end

32. Niki Rihal

I don’t believe making me cry was one of the semester goals, Professor. I’ll miss everyone of those students, who each inspired me different ways to grow as a student and a PR professional. It’s daunting to think about how I’ll be in the same position very soon, but I can hope to as inspirational and successful as these ladies are.

33. Emily Racanelli

It’s certainly heartwarming to hear how much of an impact Hofstra has had on you. It’s always good to know that there are educators out there who genuinely value their students and feel that they can learn as much as the teach.
    Inspiration can be found anywhere. It’s something we may not even notice at the time, but just have to be open to. In terms of the semester ending, personally I’m glad it’s finally over because it’s been an intense one.
    I’ve definitely learned a lot in my first semester as an official PR major can see this as being something I might potentially pursue in the future. PR 100 in particular has been a class filled with valuable information that I’m sure I will utilize for the rest of my career.
    With that being said, can’t say I’m sad to see it come to an end!