A PRoud PRofessor

With Sophia Shakola and Aislinn Murphy at the December 2016 Commencement

It’s the end of my seventh year of teaching at Hofstra and as it concludes, I am one proud professor–proud and happy for my students and their many achievements. So many undergraduates will successfully complete four years–and graduate students two years–of studies and hard work, and are now preparing to pursue their public relations careers.

Undergraduates never cease to amaze me. Their knowledge, instincts and range of experiences will serve them well as they begin their search for employment. I’m thrilled when they share their news of a job offer, which some have already received. And another diverse group of students with little previous exposure to PR earned master’s degrees and will soon embark on fulfilling their career potential.

As always, many of the most productive moments this year were initiated by members of PRSSA, Hofstra’s chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America. These enthusiastic young women and men again staged an extremely well attended networking dinner, a fully-realized professional conference, visits to Manhattan PR agencies and the national PRSSA conference, and several outstanding professional development programs. Their energy and desire to learn is infectious, and together we enhanced our out-of-the-classroom experiences exponentially.

This was an extraordinary academic year for Hofstra, starting when we hosted the first 2016 Presidential Debate and ending with continued news of the university’s growth and prominence. The world around us was politically-charged, filled with occurrences (and future case studies) that left many of us scratching our heads. Public relations’ best practices were violated, corporate PR blunders piled up, and trust in institutions fell to an all-time low.* Students have learned that more than ever, ethics, honesty and transparency are essential for building trust with clients, brands and leadership.

Congratulations and best wishes to the Class of 2017. I always feel incredibly lucky to be part of what you’ve experienced. And for the classes of 2018, 2019 and others to come, I’m always anxious to hear your concerns, share your ideas and work for you to enhance your experiences as you, too, prepare to become public relations professionals. Your thoughts?

*Source: Edelman Trust Barometer

50 thoughts on “A PRoud PRofessor

1. Kassara McElroy

Having the opportunity to work on an historic presidential debate while still being a student was one in a lifetime. That is an event many communicators have had to develop an established resume before attending. My education at Hofstra has been exceedig expectations for four years. Thanks!

2. Bianca Kroening

I can’t believe I graduate this weekend with a degree in PR. I may not be starting my full-time career right away, but I’m incredibly excited to continue interning with my favorite company, and taking bigger steps toward my future. Thanks for everything, Professor Morosoff!

3. Sydney seligman

I came to this school as an international business major and immediately realized that I wanted to go in a different direction. Three major changes and three years later, I am excited to graduate as a PR major. The school of comm has given me such amazing experiences and invaluable knowledge.

4. Gabby Sully

I know that being able to study Public Relations the last two years has been extremely important. We were able to see first hand how crisis were handled on a government scale, and able to interpret what could have done different and become more effective.

5. Awilda Pena Luna

After receiving two acceptance letters in the mail after graduating from Nassau Community College, deciding where I wanted to continue my education was not an easy decision. I was excited to have been accepted into New York University School of Dentistry and Hofstra University School of Communications . These were the only schools I had applied to and both my top schools. The tricky part is that I was going to study dental hygiene at NYU and public relations at Hofstra, talk about a complete 360. Luckily I chose Hofstra, and although I graduate with only 3 semesters at this school it has been the greatest college experience. With the amazing faculty and opportunities provided, I know for a fact that I made the right decision. I look forward to graduating on May 21 and seeing all the amazing people who made this possible for me.

6. Tyler Weatherly

I came to Hofstra for welcome week as a Marketing major with bright eyes and a head for business but a heart for something more creative. After looking through the different majors in the offered courses catalogue, my eyes made their way to the public relations course list and I never looked back. I feel so happy and fortunate to have found my way in such a random way. Hofstra has brought me many feelings over the last four year, but PRide is definitely the biggest one!

7. Jennifer Im

Though I will not be pursuing a career in the Public Relations field, I can say with confidence that I’ve learned much within my major that I know is transferrable and valuable even within other positions. Thanks for a great four years!

8. Sabrina O'Neil

I came into Hofstra with a science major but I hated every minute of it. I am so happy to have declared a major in PR my sophomore year. You and a few other great professors in the School of Comm changed my view on college. I was finally excited to go to class and learn. Thank you for a great semester, Professor Morosoff!

9. Whitney Shepherd

I can definitely agree that this year with PR blunders, presidential campaigns and more, as a public relations student I have learned way more than I thought I would. As a senior I can look back at all the case studies I reviewed and mock crisis I have analyzed, but being able to witness these future case studies first hand has prepared me for the world ahead. As I get ready to truly begin my professional career, I have realized that we as public relation students can only study and prepare so much, but we will not truly know what to do until the situation is presented in front of us.

10. Haley Moffatt

Even though I’m not leaving Hofstra for another year, I feel like I have more than enough knowledge to leave now (doesn’t mean I want to at all!) The past year has given PR students more than enough examples of how to handle PR crises and what to do when it comes to all things PR. I look forward to my future and have Hofstra and very knowledgable professors to rely on and thank for it!

11. anwarahmad

It’s really refreshing to see how passionate and involved you are with your students, Professor Morosoff, Although I am only a junior, I have learned so much about public relations. This past year has undoubtably been filled with public relations lessons. Because of this class, I have learned to always think with a PR mind. I believe that is essential when working in a field like this because you truly need to understand what PR is.

12. #foodienycpublicrelations

Professor Morosoff, I am so glad I had the honor of being your student both in my undergraduate years all the way to senior year. You were there for me when I was looking for internship or when I wanted to choose a major. Any student is lucky to be in your class because you give real world experiences, like campaigning for a company, in class. I do not think any other PR student in another school has got to experience that. Happy (almost) graduation!

13. liadzayit

It is really hard to believe that i will soon be graduating and move on to the real world. The past 4 years have flown by and although I have only had you for my senior year, I would like to say thank you for everything you have taught me during PR 107. Having the opportunity to work with a client was by far the most helpful tool!

14. Daniela Gagliano

This post is so personal and heartfelt, I must say it does make me extremely proud to be a communications student at Hofstra. As a graduating senior next week, this post really spoke to me. Through out my years at this university I’ve been able to interact with my fellow students from all different backgrounds and years of experience. Being that PR involves a lot of group work and creative strategizing, it’s always interesting to see different takes on the same situations by different students. A lot of times particular internships or classes play a role in how we see the execution of a problem. It’s been great watching myself grow with the PR majors beside me as we’ve gotten older and have endured higher levels of coursework together. The perfect way to end off my four years is definitely with the campaigns class and the inspirational weekly posts that act as a tool of positive reinforcement. I am so excited to take eveything I’ve learned with me into the real world and see how my education takes to practice.

15. Elana Delafraz

Professor Morosoff, this has to be my favorite blog post yet! I am so glad I had the honor of being your student both in my undergraduate years all the way to senior year. You were there for me when I was looking for internship or when I wanted to choose a major. Any student is lucky to be in your class because you give real world experiences, like campaigning for a company, in class. I do not think any other PR student in another school has got to experience that. Happy (almost) graduation!

16. Marielle McCartin

I am ready to graduate but I also wish I could stay in college for the rest of my life! It has been an amazing time here at Hofstra and I will look at these years as the best years of my life ( so far). Even after switching my major 3 years into college, I feel very prepared for the PR industry. I believe the program here really prepares students to work in the real world while feeling confident in their skills and knowledge.

17. Briana Cunningham

It is hard to believe that I will soon be part of the graduating class and moving on to my future as a PR professional. As I reflect back on my experience at Hofstra, I feel so fortunate to have been part of such a wonderful program and feel well-prepared to venture into the big, bad unknown. But it was certainly me experience with PRSSA that has been the most enriching and rewarding. I learned things that I would never have learned in the classroom, gained invaluable skills, and made so many professional connections. PR may be an unpredictable, and sometimes scary field, but that is why it is so enticing! So as I prepare to walk away from my time at Hofstra, although it is most definitely bittersweet, the endless possibilities awaiting me and the rest of the class of 2017 is exciting. And for the future classes, find someone older than you to look up to and don’t be afraid to ask for advice or mentorship. That is the best way to learn and prepare for what is to come.

18. Jenna Morace

I’m so grateful to be coming to the concluding part of my senior year here at Hofstra. The PR department is incredible here, leaving me more prepared then ever to embark on my journey into the real world. This department has given me the tools to succeed in my career and I’m so excited to see what life after Hofstra is going to be like.

19. Anonymous

Graduation for me is only two years away and it is bittersweet. Life at hofstra moves faster than I expected. Since I have changed my major to PR I still have a lot to learn. I am glad that I have professors and mentors that truly care about students and want them to succeed.

20. Asher Lennon

thanks for everything you have taught us this semester. also congrats to everyone that is graduating next weekend!!! this class has opened my eyes to the field of Public Relation.

21. Emily Barnes

Though I still have a year and half until graduation, I am more excited than ever to continue with my journey towards becoming a strong communications professional. It’s always refreshing and heart-warming seeing professors who genuinely care about the well-being of their students as much as you do, Professor Morosoff. I greatly appreciate the amount of knowledge and tools you’ve poured into us this semester. Thank you for everything!

22. Michael Mastropierro

Having mixed feelings about graduating in a couple of weeks. I enjoyed my time here, I learned a lot and met a bunch of great people.

23. brittanyliscoe

Being a student at Hofstra this past year has been a very exciting experience in terms of the media aspect of the school. When the Presidential debate took place, I was so inspired by all my peers who were incredibly passionate about taking part in all the media festivities. As I continue taking my mass media classes I have grown to share in that passion and cannot wait for future opportunities Hofstra will grant me in terms of displaying that passion.

24. Sam Bussell

Coming into this semester I had no idea what it entailed to be a PR profession but after taking a semester learning about the field their is no question that PR Professionals are some the most intelligent, hardworking people in the world. Their jobs are non-stop and they never skip a beat.

1. Alexandra Halbert

I cannot believe my time at Hofstra has come to an end. It’s extremely bittersweet and my college experience went just as fast as everyone told me it would. I have learned so much about Public Relations, in PR 107 especially. This class felt like the real world- meeting strict deadlines, working on a team and satisfying a client. Thank you, Professor Morosoff, for everything you taught me this semester. You always believe in your students and take the time to listen to us, as well as, applaud us. Congrats Class of 2017! We did it!

25. rHwang

I think this is very sweet because you believe in your students and want them to succeed too! I like how you are always giving your students today great advice from your experiences.

26. Erik Hansen

Regardless of what your career ends up being, the material learned in this class will always be useful no matter where you end up in life. Knowing how to present yourself and your self image is incredibly important whether it be for jobs or just meeting new people. I feel that the content I’ve learned in this class, even though I am not a PR Major, will stick with me for a long time to come.

27. Madeline Myslow

This year was especially productive for me as I realized what I truly want to do and was able to start building my skills in PR 100. I am looking forward to all of the ways I can apply my newfound knowledge to a career that I love, and hopefully I can find my dream job like so many of the lucky seniors this year.

28. Emily Bravo

PR 100 has taught me so much about press releases, pitch letters, backgrounders and fact sheets. Hofstra is full of amazing faculty. Graduation for me is one year away… Class of 2018! I am sure graduation will be a bittersweet moment.

29. Emily Bravo

This class of PR has taught me a lot about the communications field as a whole. I learned about press releases, backgrounders and fact sheets. Trivia has taught me that Ben Stiller’s father was on King of Queens. Graduation is a year away…class of 2018! Hofstra has a great faculty and I am sure graduation will be a bittersweet moment.

30. Wendy Timana

I am merely a freshman so i have a lot to think about before the year 2020. I am very lucky to have been one of your students! I am a BS TV/Film student and I took PR 100 on a whim to see if I liked it. PR quickly became one of my favorite classes specially having someone so passionate about their field as you teaching it. It is so inspiring to see someone who genuinely enjoys their craft and wants to share their knowledge and experiences to young people so we can be the best in the future. Now I definitely have a lot to think about. I wish the best of the luck to the class of 2017 and I am so excited to see where they go after college. I would not be shocked if at the next PRSA Conference I see a Hofstra 2017 PR major on the panel doing big things in their field.

31. Hannah Thueson

I loved this year, especially the PRSSA events, which I thought were very well-done. I can’t wait for the next two years of school!

32. bgmm21

This is touching. I love that professors care about the work students put in, in and out of the classroom. Young minds deserve respect because we are the future and I believe honoring that is very important. So thank you for seeing our potential!

33. jdietes04

The road to graduation has not been an easy one; senior year is filled with stress, uncertainty, and so many questions. However, what I have never questioned has been my public relations education. Hofstra University and the professors in the program, truly prepare us for graduation. When I received my job offer, I was unsure but through the guidance of Professor Morosoff and many others I was able to accept. I am confident and comfortable with my skills and I, like many, can’t wait to see what the next chapter holds.

34. Sarah Hanlon

It’s hard to believe that graduation is so soon. While I still have two more years left here at Hofstra, I can’t help but feel excited and inspired by all of my friends who are graduating in two weeks. As much as I love college, I can’t wait to embark on my own “real world” adventures. Until then, I’ll sit back and watch the current seniors go on their own endeavors. I feel very lucky that we all get to call Hofstra our home!

35. Samantha Storms

While I’m not a PR major, everything I’ve learned in this introduction class has proven to be incredibly valuable to me moving forward with my preparations for my future career– whatever that may be. I think the skills I’ve learned this year (not just in this PR course but also thanks to that amazing presidential debate) will only continue to strengthen my understanding of the power of communication and connection.

36. sarafoxprtools

From PR 100 to PR 107, I have grown so much and can honestly say that I feel fully prepared to graduate on May 21. As hard as the journey was at times, I am grateful to Hofstra, but more specifically, to the Public Relations program at Hofstra, for making me feel confident and excited about entering the real world.

37. Emily Walsh

Four years truly goes by in the blink of an eye. In two short weeks, I will be walking across the stage and receiving my undergraduate diploma. I am forever grateful and will always cherish the education I have received at Hofstra University. I have had so many opportunities so gain PR experience before graduating. To think that when I started college, I barely knew what PR was. And now, I am graduating with a job in the field that I am extremely passionate about. I am also forever grateful to you, professor Morosoff, for helping me grow and being a great mentor.

38. gafinlayson

I can’t believe that I will be graduating in two weeks from today. I have enjoyed everything that Hofstra has had to offer. I remember being terrified during my first day of PR 100 class my sophomore year because I had just switched majors and I wasn’t sure if I made the right decision, but your class made me realize that PR was exactly what I want to pursue. Thank you for teaching me that PR is a profession that you will always learn in and that there is so much potential in. I have also enjoyed taking everything that I have learned through out the years and put them together in your PR 107 class. I have enjoyed working directly with a client and also learning about what the real world will be like. I also enjoyed going to Albany with you and learning about politics and PR! Thank you for making my last semester at Hofstra amazing!

39. Haylee Pollack

I can’t believe I will be graduating from Hofstra in just two short weeks. My experience here has been incredible and I feel that the PR program prepares students well for their professional careers. I feel a lot more prepared than some of my friends in PR programs at other schools and look forward to seeing where my degree and everything I learned takes me.

40. Brandi Hutchinson

Looking back on this year, I would say it was probably my best year here at Hofstra. From experiencing my first debate, to deciding to add a minor this late in the game, I always saw myself working the hardest this semester. It’s sad to see a huge chunk of my friends graduate later this month, but I’ll always cherish all the memories with them. As a matter of fact, it’s those memories and experiences that I will use as my motivation as I enter my last year in the fall.

41. Courtney Grieco

This was a very sweet post Professor Morosoff! As I will be graduating in a year, this post made me very excited about taking that next step. I am happy to hear that some of the graduating undergrad class has already lined up jobs for themselves! That is amazing news, and I can’t wait to take that next step myself!

42. Christina Shackett

The end of this year brings with it the loss of many of my closest friends at Hofstra. Watching them revise resumes, worry about their job offers and stress about their latest grades as they try to cross their final academic finish line has been incredibly rewarding and humbling. They have trusted me with their worries and talked through some of their biggest decisions with me. Learning from their experience has given me some of best advice once I reach their position. I believe that first hand experience is the best way to learn how to deal with life events like this, and although I’ll never truly understand what they went through until I will go through it as well. Until then, I am learning from my classes, professors, and peers as I prepare for the later stages in my academic career.

43. Dianne

I am proud to say that by the end of this month I will have received by degree from such an awesome program and an amazing university. Hofstra has taught me so much and given me so much to work with. I am thankful to the professors who have time after time offered their real world experiences and professional opinions to give us the knowledge we will need once we walk across that stage.

44. Marli Delaney

Congrats to the class of ’17! I’m excited to see where everyone ends up in the next chapter after college. I feel that Hofstra is a great place to stud PR as we have such great professors and nice networking opportunities through clubs like the PRSSA. Also, everyone is so supportive and happy here. I have a couple of more years to go before I have to face the real world, but I’m excited for the future since I have endless opportunities to gain more public relations experience.

45. Madison Wright

Watching some of the closest people worry about job offers and graduating is bittersweet. They are about to live their dreams, but I will dearly miss seeing them everyday. Their advice and guidance has helped me to figure out my own path for the next two years. This year has shown me the good and the bad, there were obstacles that I thought I wouldn’t have the strength to go over, but here I am. This has been the best year and I can’t wait to see what my future has in store. For right now, I will keep learning and growing to be the person I am supposed to be.

46. Nicole Lamanna

Even though I won’t be leaving Hofstra for another two years, this blog post evoked a feeling of nostalgia for me. I feel so honored to call Hofstra home. It’s the wonderful faculty, staff, and students that has made my experience here so incredibly fantastic. I look forward to what the future brings.