PooRly-written posts

47 Comments on PooRly-written posts

Donald Trump’s regular spelling and punctuation errors on Twitter have provided ongoing fodder for late-night comedians and critics. Many believe it matters when the president makes these mistakes; such blunders tend to damage both his credibility and, some say, the nation’s.

But does it matter when people like you and I make similar errors on social media? Whether caused by typos, so-so writing skills or laziness, social media is filled with sometimes incomprehensible content. For example, a beagle lovers’ Facebook group to which I belong is a regular repository for poorly-written posts and comments including these:

“Just got my Hunter back he home with us now”

“Mine shed alot when they are stressed especially when we go to the vet. They told me that is what it is when they do that when we are there”

“I couldnt Love him more”

In one of my classic car lovers’ groups, these comments were recently posted:

“Breath Taking!! Nice wheels to!!!”

“What a comotion about Fin’s/Taillight’s”

“that car on the far left is a,49 lincoln What gives not 1945 ,sorry”

And to see lots of examples of poor writing, visit political pages on Twitter:

“You must be on drugs or drunk God help us if this one finish without being impeach.”

“its kinda sickening to see.facts are facts peeps.ehat can be wrong with your minds”

“Non of them gave a dime.”

“you have done to be an inspiration too all”

Sometimes it’s even Facebook friends–many of whom are PR people and/or teachers–who make similar mistakes. I’ve seen “your” when they meant “you’re,” “it’s” when it should’ve been “its,” and semicolons where commas should have been (and vice versa).

Should standards be different when the posts are personal? After all, public relations professionals working to reach their online audiences must be very careful to protect their clients’ credibility. But could I be more forgiving when it comes to individuals’ informal messages on social media? Or should proper grammar and punctuation be required of us every time we post as a way to maintain our own credibility? Your thoughts?

47 thoughts on “PooRly-written posts

1. Jessica Dillard

Unknowingly, people post on social media to fit within the guidelines/character counts, but should try to be more cognizant of grammar. Admittingly, I too fall for these common errors on social media, but try my best to check for grammar. As a PR professional, I see these bad habits spilling into work life, and that is the biggest challenge, especially working with creative/digital and social media colleagues.

For social media there should be “guidelines” or rules set in place where people can post and not destroy the English language, but also meet the requirements of the post (i.e. character count). I would love to say that people should be more relaxed on social media when is comes to grammar and punctuation, but I think that will lead us into a downward spiral.

2. Forrest Gitlin

I believe the importance of spelling and proper punctuation depends on the content of the post almost as much as it depends on who posts it. If someone were to post on Twitter about going to the mall with her friends, I would most likely overlook a misspelled word or two. I cannot say the same for an engagement announcement or something of similar importance. Similarly, I tend to read comments on social media with far less judgement than original posts.

This all being said, President Trump has stated that his tweets are to be considered official statements from his office. If that is the case, they should be read and written just as carefully as press releases.

3. Anthony Ferrufino

I agree grammar rules are an important aspect of the english language. However in the realm of social media these rules are blurred and in my opinion it all boils down to context. For example if one is talking to a colleague, client, boss, etc. about work one must always use proper grammar. If you are simply posting about what is going on in your life I see nothing wrong with grammatical errors. Although professionalism is always important, social media is one area of our life where we can take some liberty on grammatical rules.

4. Maya

I think it all boils down to who you are representing and how you want to be seen by others. A journalism student publishing on his or her own account and a social media manager of a Fortune 500 company may end up following the same grammar standards and rules because they both want to be perceived as being professional, legitimate, and tactful. However, a parody account with the name Dank Memes that writes lyk dis may not be worried about the looks of bad grammar and mispellings because its main purpose is to spread viral content through entertainment.

1. sumtarheel16gmailcom

Grammar correctness depends on who/what your posting on behalf of. News organizations such as CNN, FOX, Buzzfeed, Blavity should be mindful of grammar mistakes.These are companies we look to for factually sound information. If these companies can’t craft a grammatically sound tweet or post how can I rely on them to inform me of accurate news. For personal accounts, I dont think it should matter as much. Personally for me when I make a grammatical mistake on a tweet, most of the time I will correct it, but if it doesn’t disrupt the message I am trying to communicate I will leave the mistake. Slang doesnt abide by grammatical correctness and when i tweet or make a post I use slang to convey how I feel. Now if I were tweeting from a work account I would make sure my posts are grammatically correct.

5. John Grillea

This was a great post Professor Morosoff! As President of the United States, Trump should obviously always use correct grammar. Granted mistakes do happen, we’re only human, but it should be slim to non when you’re the leader of our country. These things should be reviewed before being released to the public. As for us on our own personal pages, I don’t see it as important given how social media communication is with its lingo. When it comes to work though, obviously proper grammar and punctuation is key. Simple mistakes harm credibility and overall reputation.

6. Raffaella Tonani

There is a difference between a president and a student posting on social media. I think everybody should care for grammar and punctuation but a president is a public figure and every public figure is an example.

However, I think we should be as careful. During hiring process, some companies check applicant’s social media, if he/she has constant grammatical errors, I as an employer would be worried that person would write that same way if I were to hire him/her. After all employees are key in how the public, consumers, investors, media see and talk about the company. I have heard people my age say they do not write like than in formal writing and maybe we can still discriminate when to use what language, however I think that our dependency on the following tools:

– Auto correctors
    – Word’s revision tool
    – When one Google’s something the word might start appearing or when someone is writing a word on your phone (IPhone) if it is a common word it appears on top of your keyboard so you just click on it instead of writing the whole word.

Stops us from taking the time to proof read. We trust technology too much, when it comes to WhatsApp, we are so used to the immediate response that we, more often than not finish writing and press send without checking possible typos. Abbreviating words and using emoji’s might be risking the language as we know it, we stop practicing our language so we may even forget how words are spelled. Twitter’s word count limits us, we start using shorter words or omitting words in a sentence because even though it is grammatically incorrect one can still understand the message. The more we practice one way of writing the better we will become in that form of writing. No matter who we are, we must be careful how we write, because we may start applying how we write on social media on formal writing and it is our personal brand.

7. olivia abbatiello

I completely agree that when it comes to online credibility, spelling and grammar is most certainly nonnegotiable. As an avid reader of many different online news sources, I have come to follow many of the personalities on social media. While I respect their opinions and look to them for knowledge about whats going on in the world, if they are not careful and attentive with their social media posts, they lose some points in my book. The best way to ensure a message is getting through to the audience which the source is trying to reach is to express thoughts in a cohesive, correct manner and grammar/spelling in online posts is the easiest way to accomplish that.

8. Matthew Leong

Being from NY, 9/11 is a super sensitive thing. Even though I was super young, I remember leaving school early on that day. To see the president speak so lightly of the situation and have poor usage of the english language is rather discouraging.

9. Aisha S. Buchanan

I believe public relations professionals should be mindful of what they are posting on social media. As mentioned in the post, poor writing and horrible grammar can do damage to the PR professional’s credibility as well as the client’s credibility. The increase of digital communication should not equate to the absence of grammar skills .

10. Meghan Von Elm

The use of improper grammar on social has been an issue that has plagued our society since the dawn of texting. When texting first came about, most, if not all, people had flip phones on which you had to press each number repeatedly until you got the letter you wanted. Due to this somewhat cumbersome task, people created the abbreviated texting language. That texting language seemed to have carried over to the internet, for whatever reason. Unlike flip phone keyboards, computer keyboards have all the letters individually laid out for you so typing out full words and sentences is not as cumbersome. That being said, I think that, although it’s a little annoying, people can choose to type whatever way they want on their personal social media accounts. However, if it’s a well-known celebrity or the President of the United States, he or she should display good grammar skills to keep up a respectable public image. It all depends on how you want to be viewed and how much you care about how people interpret your posts.

11. joebarone28

Bad grammar is a pet peeve of mine. Now, I’m not saying I’m ready to be a grammar teacher for elementary school children but my message to social media users is: try! As I write this, I’m panicking I may be making several mistakes. The point is, correct grammar – whether on social media or a text message – establishes credibility and is easier to read. In certain situations, it isn’t expected. For example, quick conversations through text shouldn’t be taken as seriously as a tweet that will be published and viewed by millions of people every day.

I’m biased because I think grammar just makes things 100x easier. But, I understand the argument that standards should be different in a personal post. That’s someone’s decision to talk or write as such. Some individuals may not be as educated as others. Others may not be able to fit proper grammatical sentences in a character count. That’s fine. All I’m saying is, try. If you try, I can’t be mad.

12. Chris Bounds

When it comes to spelling errors from the heads of state and professionals regardless of fields; correct grammar and spelling is imperative. When Trump sends out tweets that have grammar errors the world and the country are able to tell that he did not spend time before hand making sure that what he is tweeting out to millions of people is an accurate representation of him, his cabinet and the United States government. Professionals in their field and in the work place should proceed with the same caution, because their credibility is on the line. Some view such site as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook as a place where they can speak openly and freely to their friends and bystanders, but in doing so one must accept that whatever they type will forever be recorded. Knowing this, individuals moving forward with social media should be cautious as to what they are ok with other people possibly seeing.

13. Anonymous

I think that it is important for us an individuals to know how to spell, use punctuations and grammar when writing a blog o comment online. If we don’t start fixing our bad habits of using slang words and abbreviations then they will stick with us forever. In school we are taught to know how to read, write, spell, punctuate and cut down on run on sentences. I don’t think people who are running professional blogs and Facebook pages should have spelling errors in their posts. This is not good for adults nor children. You should always proofread what you write before submitting it in to your teacher, boss or online. If you don’t proofread then it becomes harder for the person reading what you wrote understand what you are trying to say. -Nichole Bingham

14. Ian Budding

In order to maintain credibility, checking spelling and grammar should most certainly be a requirement if you’re posting something on social media. That especially means that if you’re a person of a certain prestige above everybody else, including the President of the United States, you don’t want to be hurting your image more by leaving blatant errors and mistakes with no disregard whatsoever. Being a public figure with the media at the ready to scrutinize you whenever they feel, even your own social media posts will be under attack if you’re careless. When it comes to personal and public posts from someone who isn’t exactly a media circus or frenzy, the discussion of whether or not they should be checking their spelling and grammar is up to them. In my opinion, it does matter if you want to give yourself a positive image. You shouldn’t want to set a poor example or impression of yourself to other people who see your posts.

15. Steven Freitag

Although it is being posted on a social media site, I believe that it is important, especially for political leaders and figures, to check their grammar and spelling before posting something on a site. Posting something with poor spelling and misuse of punctuation makes a person look foolish and its hard for someone who reads this post to take it seriously at times. If the post is about something funny, like many parody pages on twitter do, posting with improper grammar is more acceptable, but nonetheless child-like. If you are the President of the United States and cannot spell honored correctly, I’m not so sure you can be qualified for the position. And if that is supposed to be a joke (which it doesn’t seem like) its a poor one.

16. Amina Antoury

Personally, I feel as though minor grammatical errors on social media shouldn’t be taken too seriously. That being said, I still think it looks unprofessional. I also feel that obvious and more common grammatical errors should definitely no longer be seen on any platform. Such as, the difference between you’re and your. That is so common that everyone should not better then to still confuse them!

17. Jessica Gilmour

I believe that people in power are scrutinized for every word they say, but rightfully so. When signing up for a job that takes place under a microscope you’re essentially devoting your life to striving for perfection. When one person represents an entire country he/she should be able to express their thoughts in an grammatically correct way whether at 4 PM or 2 AM. Donald Trump, read a book.

18. czackarypenn

Individuals posting on private social media accounts should not be held to a high grammatical standard because of the laid-back nature of social media apps like Facebook or Twitter. However, they should consider who their message is being broadcast too and consider that using improper grammar may reflect poorly on them in regards to their perceived education or professionalism. Users of professional, verified twitter accounts such as Donald Trump’s should obviously be grammatically correct and the fact that his tweets are fodder for late-night comedians reflects negatively on our country as a whole. I personally choose to always use correct grammar on social media because I am a journalist, but I do not believe everybody must hold themselves to that standard.

19. Greg Liodice

Personally, I feel like people take Twitter too seriously. Obviously, it’s an integral part of our society but we hang on every word that is published in a tweet. People make spelling errors and neglect to proofread all the time, and Trump just shows that he’s human when he makes these errors. I don’t feel like a simple tweet with a spelling mistake should cause everyone to go into a frenzy because of the platform being used. However, if it were a White House official press release, then I can understand that there would be some credibility questions, but there hasn’t been to my knowledge. In the end, a spelling mistake on a tweet is good for a laugh, but to take it so far to question the credibility of an administration is unnecessary.

20. danniellaopabajo93

For the most part, I believe that having minor grammatical mistakes should not be taken too seriously on social media. Mistakes do happen and we are all human so, our writing cannot be perfect all the time. Especially on social media, when we are writing out our thoughts quickly and many phrases are abbreviated. However if you are a professional, I do believe that grammar should taken into account on social media. If you want your fellow colleagues and potential employers to take you seriously, there is a level of professionalism that needs to shown on your social media account. The world we live in today, allows anyone to see our thoughts online, while it is important to express yourself, it is also important to express yourself in a way that is formal. That is why it shocks me to see the President of the United States making such obvious spelling mistakes. However I believe it’s important not have too many errors on social media because then people may not taking you opinions too seriously. Texting is the only time I think it is acceptable to use abbreviation such as WYD: what are you doing or TTYL: talk to you later. Texting is usually something personal, that is between just you and one other person, so the writing can be informal.

21. Haley Nemeth

There is a difference between the standards of the president and that of a personal individual. If one is representing a brand or nation, for example, then grammar should matter. If one is representing or outwardly attached to a brand then it is important to show competency in basic writing skills. A person who has no outward attachment to a professional organization then it is not entirely necessary to follow all the rules of grammar.

22. Louise

Writers who are concerned that their message be understood should be keenly aware of grammar and punctuation, but truth be told, self correct is a cursed innovation that requires that all mail/texts should be read before hitting”send” or “post”.

23. Rosaria Rielly

When posting on any form of social media everyone, but especially public figures, must be able to sustain their reputations and professionalism through their ethos and their communication skills. Social media is a platform to express ones thoughts and opinions and although everyone has freedom of speech, this does not mean that they should be careless with how they present themselves in a professional and average setting. When one does not try to have correct spelling and grammar, their posts might not be taken as seriously by their audience as they would be spending more time trying to correct, and maybe even, decipher, what was written before they can understand what was intended. I believe that formal and proper spelling and grammar should be used by everyone when posting on social media as their own ethos are behind what is written. Careless mistakes and less formal writing could be used when communicating through personal messages between friends and family, while proper language would be used when posting something on social media or writing something in the public sense.

24. Megan Pohlman

I believe people should always use proper grammar. When I was younger, I would text my friends in “slang”, but it hardly ever made sense. Now that I’m an adult, it is one of my biggest pet peeves to see people use “your/you’re” the wrong way, as well as “to/too/two” like in the example above: “Breath Taking!! Nice wheels to!!!” I understand people make mistakes, but these are things that we should definitely know by now. Furthermore, if you really are not sure of the correct use of a word, look it up! The internet can be a very useful tool.

25. Jessica Sodowich

Credibility relies on proper grammar and punctuation, plain and simple. Any editor or regular author could tell you that a submission to anything, whether it be a magazine or a blog, will be discarded at the sight of a syntax error. It’s laughable for the so-called “leader of the free world” to have such simple errors all over a relatively user-friendly platform, written on devices that are likely to have spell check. With the processing power the average person has at their finger tips, there shouldn’t be as many errors online as there are. The “cringe” factor self-proclaimed grammar-freaks feel on public forums such as Facebook or Twitter is exacerbated when it’s coming from a public figure. No matter who it is, the President of the United States or someone’s great aunt Carol commenting on Facebook, any respect you have for these people is lost as soon as they display their third grade spelling skills.

26. Matt Howard

No matter who you are or where you’re posting, it is important to practice proper grammar and punctuation to maintain credibility. Whether your audience is one person or 100 million people, making grammatical mistakes when posting is the easiest way to appear unintelligent and unconcerned. While everyone should be held to a high standard when posting online, the person holding the highest office in the world ought to be held to an ever higher one. If Donald Trump wants to continue to use Twitter in such an unconventional way he would find it beneficial to make sure his tweets are grammatically correct at the very least. Even if he were using Twitter more conventionally, grammar and punctuation are important, espcecially coming from the person who represents the American people. Punctuation and grammar never go out of style whether you represent yourself, a brand, or the 323 million people of the United States.

27. claudiabarnard

The way a person goes about writing a post online depends on the context of the post and the individual himself. Sending an email to your boss should be set at a higher standard than writing a post on twitter for your friends to see. The president of the United States, in no way, should have grammatical errors in his posts. Donald Trump represents the United States, and when he regularly has spelling and punctuation errors it is an embarrassment. Grammar should always be an important aspect when posting on social media, but the standards should be set higher for the individual who runs the country and who’s job is to represent the people.

28. kerrylowery

I believe that whether you are writing professionally or personally grammar and punctuation matter. If you begin to use bad grammar in your day to day writing you could begin to develop some bad habits that could transfer to your professional writing. As you stated if we are representing our clients we want to show them and everyone we contact that we know how to properly write.

29. Delaney Barac

There is a ginormous difference between the average Twitter user sending out a tweet with grammatical errors and the President of the United States. Part of his profession is to share messages to the people of this country and that is why his errors are inexcusable. Stumbling upon a misspelled comment on a “beagle lovers” Facebook page simply cannot be held to the same standards as a message from our President that is being viewed by a huge part of our nation. Not to excuse the fact that it is incredibly disappointing reading messages from grown adults confusing “there, their, and they’re”, our messages are just not being read as much as ones from Donald Trump. With a gigantic staff and a basic education, Donald Trump should be putting more time into spellchecking before he sends messages to America.

30. Kristina Barry

I think that no matter what, whether you’re writing an essay or a simple post on Facebook, Twitter, etc. grammar should be considered and used correctly. I know for myself when I am scrolling through these numerous media outlets if there is a grammatical error on a post I notice it right away. I then look at whoever wrote the post a little differently, and they lose credibility “points”. Especially when someone is trying to pose an argument and their post makes them sound as if they’re illiterate I won’t take them or their opinion serious at all. There is a reason grammar is taught and it should be put to use no matter what.

31. McKenna Heim

The thing is that Donald Trump is literally supposed to be running our country but instead has just kind of observed the country undergo natural and civil disaster whilst developing even stronger ‘twitter fingers’. He’s always been under the public eye for his ‘successful’ business vendettas but I do have to say that now, holding an incredibly powerful public office, he is definitely under more scrutiny. For the severity of his job of course he needs to be careful about what he puts on the internet–we all do, but because he is the main representative of our country (unfortunately, sorry to be blunt) I believe it’s extremely acceptable to point out, correct, etc. his mistakes grammar wise and especially his verbal flops that he impulsively puts out for his 38 million followers to read via twitter (https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump) because he is supposed to be doing his job as our commander in chief, not acting like a thirteen year old girl who is upset about God knows what on social media. And while I will be the first to condemn most of his choices, I will say that most of what he specifically does has been speculated upon more so since he began his campaign for presidency, but this is justified because it’s the head executive position for the country. He’s embarrassing us and making us look uneducated.

32. Jeffrey Werner

I feel that standards should be the same, regardless of who wrote the post. If a person is a leader of a country, then that person is held to a high standard. But at the same time, it’s our job as average members of society to uphold the standard in our lives. Communication has gotten to the point where words have been shortened and used with numbers (ex: ur, gr8,etc.) These have become so common that the standard has been lowered to the point where someone like President Trump can say to someone else, “Well, this is how my granddaughter spells it when she’s text messaging.” Not only does the President look dumb, but so do Americans. So if we hold not only politicians to high standards in communication, but ourselves too, then mistakes like in that post rarely happen, and Americans aren’t looked down upon as having poor english.

33. Anonymous

It is quite comical to me when I see improper use of grammar on social media. Especially if it’s a prominent person in our society! In all honesty though, grammar is a struggle for some people and they can’t help it. That doesn’t mean that they should continue being lazy with it because I think everyone, whether you’re famous or not should strive for correct grammar usage. Also with social media, people tend to focus on getting their feelings or point across rather than the having correct grammar and sentence structure.

34. Unice Kim

I believe that it is very important to be formal on social media. If you carry yourself out professionally on social media then you will come off as a professional individual. I also think it depends on your status too. If you are the president or someone who is very public then yes mistakes do matter. If you are just an average joe using social media then I believe it is acceptable to be informal sometimes on social media. However, everyone should try to use social media formally because it never hurts to give off a good impression.

35. Owen Lewis

Donald Trump has already undermined the integrity and esteem of the presidency, in my opinion. Presidents should be exemplars of education and speech, though this president is not normal. It’s impossible to expect him to uphold grammatical standards, but it’s also past the point where I could feel a kind of disappointment.
    I think public officials should be held to higher grammatical standards if what they post is meant to be taken authoritatively or has to do with their position. I support proper grammatical standards, generally speaking, although I enjoy the creativity with which people express themselves by their own grammatical rules. There’s something authentic when posts are exchanged amongst friends and communities that I don’t think I would find in the same way if the posts were grammatically correct. Grammar should be upheld by public officials who write public posts.

36. Paula Chirinos

I can definitely say that I have also encountered such grammatical atrocities in my Facebook feed. Most of these stem from some groups I’m a part involving the video games I play. The posts in the group can only be seen by members of the group though, so it would make sense that the people’s consciousness regarding grammar when posting in the group, isn’t as strong as it would be in a professional setting. An interesting feature on Facebook is that users can edit the writing on their comments or posts. I am guilty of making common grammar errors myself so this is certainly a helpful option.

37. Ana Gabriela

One would think that the commander and chief of the United States of America would have an education. It is an embarrassment often times when these kind of errors are pointed it, what shocks me the most is that he is a public figure who should be setting an example, frankly he is not. In my opinion these grammar mistakes should be unacceptable and believe it or not he is setting a horrible example to those children or young adults all around the world.

38. Anonymous

39. Kaitlyn Cusumano

It is sad to say but these grammatical errors that we see from our President to our professors are becoming so common that many people are becoming quite immune to noticing their inaccuracy. In the world we live in today, where the most popular and common way of communication is through some form of instant messaging, I believe it has become more the norm than ever to communicate in a vastly more informal way than ever before. In my opinion, if you are sending a quick text message to a family member or friend then by all means use any abbreviation or slang that you choose. However, this is only appropriate if you are able to revert back, seamlessly, to a professional tone if needed.

40. Brianna Flynn

It is evident that people are going to say whatever they would like to say, in whichever grammar, slang, or punctuation they are comfortable writing in. However, it is my personal opinion that it is only acceptable to do so under a few circumstances. Firstly, if you have private pages, meaning that someone would have to add you as a friend in order to see what you post on social media, then by all means you can speak however you’d like. This is to ensure that no prospective bosses can knock your intellect down. Second, if you do not have a title like Donald Trump or any public/important figure, you should have the right to freedom of speech in whichever manner you speak in. At the same token, as it is becoming much more acceptable and trendy to almost “free write” while on social media, I think that it is the duty of an employer to look beyond the surface of someone’s social media accounts and make their judgements purely on a face to face meeting. After all, no one is exactly who they appear to be on social media.

41. Aliyah

We’ve all seen these mistakes. It even bothers me slightly when I get text messages with misspellings. In my opinion, personal vs. formal and professional writing is a matter of tone, not punctuation. Mistakes happen, but showcasing good knowledge of grammar can’t hurt you. Alternatively, failing to do so will probably make the reader think you’re lazy or undereducated.

42. Abby

The President of the United States holds an office that represents our country as a whole. Therefore, I believe that the President should communicate to the people of the United States with correct grammar, just as a professional company should communicate with correct grammar to maintain their own credibility to their audience. However, I feel we could be more forgiving when it comes to personal social media messages because it’s informal communication.

43. Gianna

Grammar is grammar, regardless of the context. Grammar rules exist for a reason. To be followed! Like anything else, there is a flip side. Grammar rules may be outdated. Or they may have changed over the years. And we all make grammatical mistakes when using our phones. It happens. Regardless, in my opinion, you should always attempt to follow and uphold to grammatical standards. It seems like you don’t care, in any context, if you don’t.

44. Ana Gabriela

One would think that the commander and chief of the United States of America would have an education. It is an embarrassment often times when these kind of errors are pointed out, what shocks me the most is that he is a public figure who should be setting an example, frankly he is not. In my opinion these grammar mistakes should be unacceptable and believe it or not he is setting a horrible example to those children or young adults all around the world.