Ethics according to SPiceR

49 Comments on Ethics according to SPiceR

Emmy host Stephen Colbert with Sean Spicer

When former White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer made a self-mocking cameo appearance at the Emmy Awards last Sunday, I, like much of the audience, was surprised and delighted. I thought, “It’s so cool that Spicer’s able to laugh at himself, and we can laugh with him!”

Then I began reading reactions on social media and commentary from journalists on both sides of the political aisle. On Monday, retired CBS anchor Dan Rather wrote, “It is not funny that the American people were lied to. It is not funny that the press was attacked for doing its job. It is not funny that the norms of our democracy have been trampled.” Frank Bruni authored an angry column for The New York Times titled “The Shameful Embrace of Sean Spicer at the Emmys.” And Trump supporter Mark Dice, a YouTuber and self-described “media analyst exposing fake news,” labeled the former White House spokesman a “traitor” who “sold out.”

Spicer has made several public appearances recently, notably on Jimmy Kimmel’s late night show. Following a clip of him telling the press that he’d never knowingly say something that wasn’t factual, Spicer explained, “Sometimes we can disagree with the facts.” Kimmel asked, “Can we, though, disagree with the facts?” Spicer rationalized, “It’s my job to speak on (Trump’s) behalf. So if you’re not speaking in the way that he wants, obviously he wanted to make sure he corrected that.”

Last week I wrote about ethics, listing the Public Relations Society of America’s six core values. Among them was advocacy: “Serve the public interest by acting as responsible advocates for those we represent.” Then there’s honesty: “Adhere to the highest standards of accuracy and truth in advancing the interests of those we represent and in communicating with the public.” Also included is independence: “We are accountable for our actions.” Indeed.

In retrospect, Sean Spicer’s legacy is that he failed PRSA’s ethics test and hurt the reputation of our profession. Maybe if he apologizes for disparaging the press and feeding us alternative truths — it might then become OK to laugh with him. Your thoughts?

49 thoughts on “Ethics according to SPiceR

1. Jazmin Quinci

This idea of alternative facts or “disagreeing with the facts” boils down to belief systems. Many have a tendency to get the facts but disregard them or become selectively deaf because they don’t fit into their system of beliefs or ideology.

Yes, I get doing what the boss wants but there’s also a thing called, “personal integrity” which this administration’s staff, like Spicer, forgoes in the name of doing what they’re commanded to do. Spicer claiming he’s doing what the boss wants by making things fit or work is a form of passing off responsibility for one’s actions.

Spicer being personable and funny is great. I love when tight asses take a step down from their thrones and join the the common folk to talk and joke. Awesome!

Yet, I agree! This doesnt absolve them of breaking tenets. As public officials they have a responsibility to not harm citizens or the press. The press does provide a service for the public. The way journalism is practiced varies from person to person, network to network. Yet attacking them for reporting what was given to them to work from is the fault of the gifter. So in this case, it’s President Trump. In the words of Lil’ John and the East Side Boys, “Dont start no sh*t, won’t be no sh*t…” That’s life.

2. Jessica Dillard

Spicer is on his own “media tour” now, which I think is pathetic. He had the highest, most respected job in PR and he lied to the American people all the time. Everything we are learning about ethics and law are guidelines in which Spicer has gone against. As a PR professional he should be ashamed to have been in that position for that long, knowing he was not telling the truth about a lot of items.

3. Anthony Ferrufino

When I first saw Sean Spicer come out I thought it was hysterical. I can understand why people are so angry; he lied to the American people on his first day about something insignificant. We all know the facts about the crowd size and you cannot dispute the fact that President Trump had a smaller crowd. However I can understand why Spicer would make the decision to lie on behalf of the president. As someone who wants to work in PR in government and politics, being the press secretary is a dream job. I am sure Spicer also felt this was a dream job and he would have known that if he had not lied he would be out of a job much sooner. That being said I do believe that the American people are owed an apology by Spicer for his deception during his tenure as press secretary.

4. Kerry Lowery

I think it will take sometime before the American people are ready to laugh with Sean Spicer rather than laugh at him. He is only now admitting that he knowingly lied to the American people and then he claimed that he only did it because that was what Trump wanted. Isn’t that the same as a soldier or a police claiming the only reason they did something illegal or deplorable was because they were “following orders.” The public (with the exception of most) has rarely let people get away with claiming they were only “following orders” because we all have our own brains and can think for ourselves. So why should Sean Spicer be any different? Not to sound like a cliche but if Donald Trump told him to jump off cliff for the American public would he have? From the way he has presented himself it seems like he most certainly would have.

5. Forrest Gitlin

It is a bit surreal that the leading public relations professional in the realm of American politics was so blatantly dishonest and failed to fulfill his role ethically. Spicer’s credibility went out the window the moment he convened the administration’s first press conference to argue a provable falsehood. His credibility did not simply repair itself when he stepped down and left the White House.
    That said, Spicer’s presence at the Emmys indicates that even the most ardent supporters of this administration are willing the call it out and criticize it once they are not tied to the sinking ship. There would have been no humor in Spicer’s appearance at the Emmys if the country truly believed that he and the office he once held had any more standing in the eyes of the media and majority of the public. Unfortunately for Spicer’s legacy and for the future of the country, he was at the mantle when the office of the White House Press Secretary officially lost its credibility.

6. Derrica Newman

Being that some time has passed since Spicer stepped down it may seem like it’s okay to make jokes, but this is no joking matter. Spicer held such a big title its hard to take the jokes lightly. He basically lied on behalf of the President on numerous occasions, which is why some may see him making jokes at the Emmys a big deal. He also violated the PR code of ethics. He has lost millions of peoples trust and has tarnished his reputation. Spencer never issued an apology about his actions either. Personally I do not think the jokes were necessary. Why should he get a pass?

7. Katrina Tacconelli

I think it is great that Sean could laugh at himself. I agree that sometimes facts get in the way with our feelings and how we look at a situation. Sometimes facts are the way to go because most of the time they lead you in the right direction. I would say your conscience is the best direction to go in. It will always lead you on the right path.

8. Yvette Wiafe

Spicer clearly was trying to use satire as a tool to clean up his image like some folks have done in the past. Unfortunately for him, in my opinion, the magnitude of his wrongdoings cannot be cleaned up easily with humor. I believe if he had gone through the 60minutes or Barbara Walters route and then go to Colbert, he would have been pardoned.

9. Aliyah H.

I thought Sean Spicer’s appearance at the Emmy Awards was refreshing and funny, despite much criticism of the recent politicizing of Hollywood. Aside from this, I think Spicer’s legacy speaks to the difficult and sometimes conflicting expectations of PR professionals. The PRSA Code requires us to be loyal to our client and honest with the public (and in Spicer’s case, the media as well). As a PR representative, what do you do when the client (the White House) and the public (the American people and the media) are continually at odds, and the party you represent is very publicly unethical?

10. Gianna Losquadro

I will admit that I was very shocked that Spicer showed up at the Emmy’s. Not only do I think it’s completely tarnished his reputation as a PR professional, but I also think it’s tarnished the White House communications team’s reputation for many years to cone. At first, I wanted to enjoy the fact that he could make fun of himself. I may have even wanted to laugh. But after the appearance, once all the dust settled, I realized what this had truly done.

A lot of people already knew that Spicer wasn’t truthful. But to have it confirmed, made it all the more worse. As a practicing public relations professional, he clearly went against the code of ethics. I know I commented last week that I felt many PR professionals don’t abide completely to the code of ethics. I still very much stand by that comment. But because Spicer was acting as White House Communications Director, he should have been following the code of ethics word for word. It may seem like I’m implying a double standard. But truthfully if you can’t trust that the liaison between the leader of the free world and the press/public- who’re are we supposed to trust?

1. sumtarheel16gmailcom

Sean Spicer’s cameo appearance at the Emmy’s was comical. I think his appearance at the Emmy’s shows the fragility of the right wing. I think Sean Spicer’s appearance at the Emmy’s and appearances at late night talk shows sheds light on the role he played in the Trump Administration. He was a puppet. He was paid to give statements in the best interest of Donald Trump. Last week we discussed the role of Ethics in PR and I think Sean Spicer hasn’t abided by the code of ethics. His statements are mis-sleading and not based on facts.

11. Aisha Buchanan

I definetly I agree that if Spicer had apologized first about lying then going to the Emmy’s to joke about it , it would’ve been less harmful. What Spicer did wasn’t ethical. He felt as if it was ok to joke about lying to the American public. That’s no where near funny.

12. Daniella Opabajo

Spicer is clearly trying to make this serious situation into a light one. Lying to the media and stating alternate facts to the press, knowing that it is not true. Everyone is already skeptical about the media and how reliable the new can be, so Spicer actions did not make it any easier for society to trust the media and politicians. Spicer attending the Emmy’s and making light of the situations was bound to have people up in arms. Joking around with the people’s trust is not a funny. I believe that a simple apologize may not fix Spicer current reputation.

13. Anonymous

14. Owen Lewis

I think the damage has been done. He can apologize, and maybe he can be forgiven eventually, but he willingly took part in what amounts to an increasingly autocratic government. I think this presidency is beyond forms of conservativism or liberalism. I don’t consider this to be a Republican president. Sean Spicer was the mouth piece for someone that shows himself to be a xenophobic bigot. The only reason he is making the rounds now is because he was fired (I believe they call that ‘resigned.’) I understand the humor in him, but I can’t separate humor from what the man represented several months ago.

15. Meghan Von Elm

I definitely think that Sean Spicer should apologize for sharing false news with the people regardless of the fact that he was representing Donald Trump. Just because he was representing Trump and doing what his boss was telling him to do doesn’t make it right by any means. Sure, the way Spicer presented the facts was comical and we could laugh at that. But what we can’t laugh at is the fact that we were lied to. Even if Spicer apologizes, lying to the American people is no laughing matter.

16. Amina Antoury

We all know that politicians are rarely truthful. I don’t think Spicer apologizing would do any good; the damage has already been done. There are times in all our lives and careers (politician or not) where we will have to make ethical decisions based on what is asked of us to get a certain outcome.

17. Megan Pohlman

In my opinion, you can disagree with the facts. Sometimes the facts are not actually facts. Additionally, I think it was uncalled for when Mark Dice called Spicer a “traitor” who “sold out.” People make mistakes, it is what makes us humans. It is okay to laugh about it when it is harmless. Although Spicer failed PRSA’s ethics test, he believes he did what he had to do and I think people should not get offended by things so easily.

18. Justin Ayala

If Spicer were to make a public apology for his wrongdoings, it would definitely help to repair the public image of him and possibly his boss, Trump. Although he showed up to the annual Emmys event, at least no one pretended to respect him or appreciate his line of work. Because of the counterfeit behind his actions, he could only be laughed at by others, especially the generally liberal elite of Hollywood.

19. Ian Budding

It’s very hard to approach this from both sides of the argument. As a student learning about the fundamentals, history, and basic outlines of public relations, hearing what Spicer has said about his experiences as White House press secretary and how now it’s a joke throws me off a bit. Yes, the media can sometimes take a satirical approach in poking fun at political issues, including Spicer’s former position. But to make a joke about how Trump has been poorly running White House operations and forcing his representatives to spin and present facts in a false way, it brings to question what ethical codes were violated. In Spicer’s case, if he hadn’t presented information the way Trump wanted to, he would’ve been fired. So he went along with it, and brought a poor image onto himself because of it.

20. Steven Freitag

What stood out to me in this blog was “arguing with the facts.” How can you argue with something that is factual and true? Usually you can only argue with opinions, given that they have some sort of bias on them. The fact is that he lied to the American public and attempted to make light of it by joking about it on the Emmy award show, which is completely disregarding the advocacy, honesty, and independence of ethics.

21. Matthew Leong

I find that self deprecating humor is often the funniest for me. It humanizes people in a way that is out of the ordinary. More often than not, people are always trying to appear better than they really are in front of others. However, when one makes a joke at the expense of themselves, the audience realizes that they may share some similar experiences or flaws. Most importantly, for Sean Spicer to do something like this, it shows that he has embraced the fact that he has become a bit of a joke. In order to have other people forget about his previous faults, he shows that he is able to laugh it off and as a result of that, others will be able to laugh it off as well.

22. McKenna Heim

Although Sean Spicer did fail to uphold the PRSA’s code of ethics, there are also, among those six standards of what people in the public relations industry do, he upheld his loyalty. It was definitely apart from independence, but in a kind of way, he was being honest because what Trump does tend to do is exaggerate, and maybe while holding loyalty to trump, Spicer had the ulterior motive of not only saying exactly what Trump wanted him to say, but also outlining that by ‘representing Trump’ and speaking on his behalf, he WAS illustrating exactly what Trump is about–that kind of corruption.
    That’s just my theory. In my opinion, him making that speech at all was a little too much. Although done in good humor and just extending the funnier part of what has lately been this “dark-cloud” of politics, he was overreaching by mocking not just himself, but the entire establishment, because, after all, that is what he stands for: it is literally his job.

23. czackarypenn

Though Spicer is trying to make light of a sticky situation, I think a public apology and admission of guilt would go a long way toward repairing his public image. Many Americans are completely disillusioned by the political landscape of our country and Spicer’s blatant dishonesty is an obvious reason why. Deflecting the blame onto Donald Trump may help Spicer to put this situation in the rearview mirror, but that should not be considered ethical either. Regardless of what Spicer does to try to bounce back, he is certainly a big reason why people refer to public relations as “spin.”

24. Jeffrey Werner

I wish I had seen Spicer’s appearance at the Emmy’s, maybe i would’ve gotten a laugh about it. I really don’t know what to make of it. It’s one thing to get criticized from either side of politics, but to get criticized by both liberals and conservatives is unheard of. But I think everyone is too focused on politics. A man like Sean Spicer does have the right to make fun of himself, whether people find it funny or not is not in his control. But in terms of violating the ethics of PRSA, he was carrying out the orders of President Trump. I think an apology is needed from both President Trump, which isn’t likely to happen, and by Spicer.

25. Shayla Sales

We talk often about the effects of not being completely transparent and honest. When it comes to politics, the citizens of a democracy do not want to be lied to or be told ‘somewhat’ of the truth. Again, PR/journalism professionals are advocates and must act responsible for those we represent, while remembering where loyalty lies. In Spicer’s instance, his only ties of loyalty was clearly that of President Trump, despite how untruthful his statements were. I believe apologizing will do nothing for people nor Spicer. His reputation and creditability is tarnished, in my opinion, because his statement arguing that facts can be “disagreeable.” Not only did he lose the respect from obvious authors as stated above but he showed to the public that he himself has no ethics.

26. Raffaella Tonani

Raffaella Tonani

I expect an apology from anybody who lied or covered truths. If it is okay to laugh or not, that is a personal decision each individual should make. One might find funny how he said it or the irony of him saying now what a lot of people suspected. But if someone finds his comments funny, I worry people are not understanding the seriousness of knowingly giving or allowing alternative truths.

Jimmy Kimmel asked Sean Spicer in an interview if as press secretary you have to go and say that the size of the crowd at the inauguration was bigger than it was even when it is not. Spicer’s response was “your job as press secretary is to represent the president’s voice and to make sure you’re articulating what he believes…whether or not u agree or not isn’t your job. Your job is to give him advice… ultimately, he is the president… he decides… that’s what u signed up to do”

If a job is saying or standing by someone saying inaccurate information, you’re signing up against PRSA ethics values like the following. Advocacy says “we serve the public interest…we aid informed public debate” my question is, how can the public have an informed public debate if as the source, you are not being honest? On a press conference, Jonathan Karl from ABC News asked Spicer “Is it your intention to always tell the truth from that podium and will you pledge never to knowingly say something that is not factual?” He answered, “It is…I belief that we have to be honest with the people” honesty is another value he overlooked by not giving the public accurate information.

Disagreeing with the president cannot be easy, challenging him and risking your job and one of such importance is probably harder, but at the apex of the government you are an influential figure, and it seems that Spicer was not responsible of the power entrusted to him. I feel that saying the president decides what to say is trying to excuse yourself of your responsibility. Another value is being independent so even if your job was limited to giving advice, standing by the person you are representing, even when you know he/she is at fault, it is your decision to stay. Spicer chose to be loyal and fair to Donald Trump on top serving the public.

I think laughing about it is welcoming others to tell lies because we, as a society condone it. I hope Spicer’s career speaks lauder than a mistake, that he learned from that mistake and that he or anyone who makes a mistake works to gain back his/her credibility.

27. Jessica Gilmour

Nearly all comedic satire is controversial. With a subject like Sean Spicer there was almost a guarantee that there would be some backlash, especially when the one delivering the satire was Sean Spicer himself. As we discussed last week, many of the six core values overlap. For Spicer it was presumably difficult to fulfill both honesty and loyalty while working for President Trump. When Spicer stated, “Sometimes we can disagree with the facts,” he basically admitted to allowing his honesty to be tampered with. Americans are upset because the public has been lied to on countless occasions, leaving a bitter taste for the administration. I believe when Sean Spicer made fun of himself at the Emmy Awards he was trying to remind the public that he is just human. For most it was a refreshing image, for others it created more anger. From a public relations stand point I think it was a smart move on Spicer’s part to participate in the Awards show.

28. Jessica Sodowich

I believe Sean Spicer’s position here is… understandable. There have been many cases where someone has been “just doing their job,” despite their job harming someone else, be it an individual, or a group of people. Clearly Spicer’s ethics were compromised in his role as White House Press Secretary. Why else would he step down? “’It’s my job to speak on (Trump’s) behalf. So if you’re not speaking in the way that he wants, obviously he wanted to make sure he corrected that.’” Stretching the truth — outright lying, so knowingly and so often must wear on someone’s conscience.
    What I cannot agree with is Spicer’s idea that “’Sometimes we can disagree with the facts.’” In public schools across the United States, it’s common curriculum to teach second and third graders the differences between facts and opinions. I remember doing exercises and homework on it as a kid. Facts are indisputable. The idea that we are living in a world of “fake news,” “alternative facts,” and adults who don’t know the elementary difference between a fact and an opinion, makes me worry for the political and social future ahead of us.

29. Greg Liodice

Personally, I think this whole thing with Spicer is being made to be a bigger deal than it is. Yes, what he did was wrong but it wasn’t to his fault. He clearly stated that he was doing what the President asked him to do. None of this was his option. He was serving to the highest office in the land, so if the boss told him to do something, he would do it. I don’t see the issue with it, and I think it’s OK to laugh at ourselves. Social media was a buzz, poking fun at Spicer all throughout his tenure as Press Secretary, so why was it OK to laugh then, but not now?

30. claudiabarnard

I agree with all the comments saying that Sean Spicer is only human and that everyone makes mistakes. I also believe in giving people second chances. Being able to comprehend what you did wrong is a sign of growing up. Although Spicer violated the code of ethics, the fact that he is making jokes about himself is him moving on. Mistakes happen, we should let them go in order to move on and better ourselves. Although making mistakes and jokes is ok, if someone is making jokes about an issue that many people have strong feelings about, taking a step back and realizing that what you are about to say may cause more problems is also a mature and responsible step to take.

31. Delaney Barac

Perhaps if Sean Spicer had apologized before appearing on the Emmy’s, there would have been more of an acceptance for his appearance. Sean Spicer did not accurately follow the Code of Ethics and he should be held responsible for his lies until he proves that he can be honest towards the American people. Advocacy, honesty, and independence are three core values within the Code of Ethics and Sean Spicer, like many politicians, failed to stay true to them. I agree with other comments in the fact that is is far too early to be laughing at his decisions within his past job. The American Government is not a joke and until we can resolve some of our country’s core issues, we can not laugh at our mistakes as if they were a fluke of the past.

32. Rosaria Rielly

Sean Spicer currently has a hurt identity, which was partly to blame on himself, and partially to blame on all that constant attention on the White House and President Trump’s team and policies. I believe that when he came on the Emmys making fun of himself and the mistakes he made, that although yes it was a joke, that it was too soon after the actual mistake and that if I were him, I would have waited until my trust with the public was regained. Spicer went against three of the PRSA’s standards, advocacy, honesty, and independence, and did lie to the American Public when he was not taking his job seriously, all of which he then turned into a joke. I believe, however, that he was trying to help with his public image by shinning some light on it and making it a comedic act, which should be taken just as that and without being analyzed as dramatic and over done.

33. Maya Devereaux

In my opinion, a public apology from Sean Spicer would accomplish very little. Sure he would be admitting his wrongdoings…but really, would there be any meaningful consequences for his actions i.e. pushing blatant lies and and decrying mainstream media as fake news? I don’t think so. I get how many viewers found his satirical appearance and self-deprecating stance to be funny, but I agree with those who think it was really funny because there’s nothing comedic about what he did while serving as press secretary.

It kind of felt like he was being put up on a pedestal like some sort of hero, where we should just forget about his past actions and behavior because he was at an awards show among celebrities making fun of himself. Like others have argued, the positive spin of his appearance legitimized his actions as press secretary. You lied and attacked the media? Well now you can be a Hollywood and Internet sensation. Even all of his post-Emmy’s appearances on talk shows seemed to be too much. What’s next a book and media tour? A reality TV show?

34. joebarone28

I think it’s important to first understand that everyone is human – TV personality, celebrity, athlete, etc. Everyone has a life, everyone makes mistakes. Sean Spicer was wrong to lie. We all know that. However, the fact that he can acknowledge his mistakes and laugh about them is commendable. He may very well have hurt the PR reputation – which I don’t like – but I think it’s important we are able to laugh with him because Spicer is actually a nice man, even if you don’t agree with his politics. To clear – his lying was wrong, he should apologize, but let’s all laugh together and stop being hostile. That’s one way we can find a solution to our society’s issues.

35. Chris Bounds

Comedy in most regards is funny, even things that might be considered poor taste. Some might find that Sean spicer appearing at the Emmy’s comedic, others will be outraged and offended. I think that it would have been better for Spicer to just have apologized for what happened and leave it at that. If I was in Spicer shoes I would want to let things blow over before showing my face to the public again, because what he did was indecent and unfair for the PR professionals as well as the general public. So with that being said, one can understand the outrage of some at his appearance at the Emmy’s. Sure he was serving Trump, but he should have know better by using his own ethics.

36. John Grillea

Clearly he has failed at the honesty, advocacy, and independence aspects of the PRSA’s Code of Ethics, but I have to ask myself, what politician hasn’t lied in the past? All politicians have lied in some way to make themselves or their party look better, whether it be on a smaller or larger scale. This makes me think of our discussion with the media and how it’s owned by several major corporations. Just like Spicer was directed to do something from someone above him, the overall media seems to be also with the information we receive. They’re all trying to fit an agenda to be perceived their desired way in the public eye. In my opinion, politicians will never fully understand something like the PRSA Code of Ethics.

37. Haley Nemeth

According to the PRSA’s code of ethics Sean Spicer failed at his job. He especially with the three ethical values mentioned in the blog, advocacy, honesty, and independence. Spicer saying that is it okay to disagree with facts and that his job was to represent Trump were not valid excuses for lying to the public. Not only was it Spicer’s job to relay information on Trump’s behalf, but he also had the duty to keep the public accurately informed. I think that it is too early to be laughing at himself and the job he did. Maybe it would not have been such a big backlash if Trump was not in office anymore and if there was not such a hot political climate.

38. Paula Chirinos

I really liked the discussion that the class had last week on ethics and standards in the field of PR. It was an important discussion since it brought up morality in the workplace. There will be times where a professional has to make tough decisions in situations where the interest of a company or manager of an organization conflicts with those of the public and/or the person’s own morals. This is certainly relevant with the position that Sean Spicer was put in while working for Donald Trump. He had to obey orders from the President himself to preserve the image of the White House but that also meant that Spicer couldn’t be completely honest with the public. That betrayal in trust isn’t acceptable from any organization and less so from the White House. The roots of democracy involve giving power to the people and preventing a ruling force that isn’t honest with its own people. There have been governing powers throughout history that hadn’t been completely honest with their citizens and used false information to “protect their image” and most of these examples involved dictatorships and monarchies.

39. Kristina Barry

I agree with you when you say it was cool that we, the audience, were able to laugh with Sean Spicer, but I believe that it may have been the wrong time. Maybe if it was after Trump had left office and he was looking back and what he had done it would have been a better time, but I believe that Sean Spicer should be taking his job a little bit more serious than is currently is. He should stop placing the “blame” on Trump, saying he needs to speak this way in his behalf and Trump wanted him to fix whatever it is he was saying. Rather, Spicer and Trump should work together and communicate what it is Trump wants him to report and do things right the first time around.

40. Brianna Flynn

I think that the least that Sean Spicer could do is apologize to the public for essentially lying to them, whether you want to call it giving “alternative facts” or not. It wasn’t really funny of Spicer, from a professional standpoint, to create a mockery of his actions. By making that short, snide appearance in the Emmys, I believe that Spicer proved that he does not take the view of the public eye seriously. As a member of the PR profession, it is supposed to be one’s concern to truthfully and respectfully address the public, and it seems as though this was not the case with Sean Spicer. He made a joke of himself and his career pool.

41. Kaitlyn Cusumano

Similarly to your first thought, I thought it was a humble and quite funny thing on he was able to laugh at himself and in a intimidating setting. I understand how some may feel that he is someone that lied to the American people and therefore should not be met with laughter in such a serious climate but I think it was meant as a light humorous cameo not to be looked into this greatly. I am sure Sean Spicer feels as if he is backed in a corner and can not really catch a break so for that I pity him. Even after this attempt to appease some Americans, he ended up angering even more.

42. Unice Kim

I am the type of person who supports laughing and moving on. I thought the whole Emmys appearance was really funny. However, what Spicer did was wrong because he lied to the American public and never really apologized for it. He went against advocacy, honesty, and independence. I believe that Spicer should apologize for his mistakes and acknowledge that he did something wrong, but I don’t think his Emmys appearance was that big of a deal.

43. Abby

I feel as though Sean Spicer should not be somebody that we laugh with. I think that we have ethics of truth and they should be especially followed in our government. On the other hand, if we can joke with people maybe we can get to a point of people working together and not making the mistake of supporting lies again. However, PRSA has standers for a reason, instead of Sean Spicer going to the Emmys he should have taken what he did more seriously and gone to perhaps a news show and said, “I’ve made a mistake and I should not have supported lies. “

1. Nichole Bingham

I may not be a big fan of politics but I think that the politicians we have today are not the greatest. There are too many lies and broken promises being made. It makes it difficult for people to understand and to point out who’s telling the truth or not. I understand that Sean Spicer’s unexpected appearance at the Emmy’s was surprising and hilarious. Most of us are familiar with the sketch about him on Saturday Night Live in which Melissa McCarthy portrays him. It was funny and all but I think that if Spicer is aware of his actions how come he can’t fix them? He was able to come out on stage at the Emmy’s and put on his little show but he has yet to correct himself. As someone who is dealing with the public almost everyday, I expect to hear more of the truth instead of what I want to hear. I would have to say it was funny on some parts but sad as well. I’m on both sides of the argument.