Washington, P.R.

51 Comments on Washington, P.R.

I had a conversation with a student this week about her post-graduation plans and she asked about public relations careers in Washington, D.C. I suggested that most PR jobs in our nation’s capital are within government and there are likely more jobs and varied opportunities in New York. But just hours after our talk I read an article on PRSA’s web site from PRUnderground, an online news release distribution service, which pointed to “explosive wage and employment growth in public relations in Washington.” The article continued, “The number of public relations jobs in Washington has increased by an astounding 325 percent in the last 17 years, compared to 58 percent on the national level.”

But what about New York? According to Transparentcareer.com, New York City and Washington D.C. together have nearly 41 thousand PR jobs, “which is 70% of PR employment held by the top five highest employing cities. This isn’t surprising though; these are the business and government capitals of the country, the two most involved sectors of public relations.”

Supporting these numbers is research from ABODO, an apartment search site which lists the top five cities with the most PR opportunities: Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and Seattle. “Our data shows that if you’re looking for jobs in major cities in the public relations and communications sector…(that’s where) the most opportunities are available,” its report notes.

“The growth in public relations versus lobbying is being driven by new thinking about the most efficient ways to get the message out in D.C.,” PRUnderground owner Brian Scully told Jeff Clabaugh of WTOP Radio. “Companies and trade organizations are going straight to the public through big TV campaigns and online campaigns, versus just focusing on influencing legislators through lobbying firms.”

Taking your case directly to the public is a proven way to win support. Washington politics are very messy, so maybe the growth of PR jobs could result in enhanced communication between policy-makers and people, and maybe even–dare I suggest–a more responsive government.

Whether it’s PR or another profession, in which city would you most like to work? Why? Your thoughts?

51 thoughts on “Washington, P.R.

1. Adam Engel

I would love to work in New York, NY. I worked in NYC this pasted summer for a PR firm. The opportunity and the exposure you receive there is mind boggling. The firm that I worked at handled real estate. What`s more opportunistic than working in NYC, where real estate is prime. Im not saying that D.C. isn’t opportunistic, because Capitol Hill is prime real estate for people who want to get into political PR, or PR in general. Especially, with this past election.

2. Jessica Dillard

While I love both Washington D.C. and New York, I would not choose either to work in. There are PR jobs everywhere you turn in NYC, but I would love to work on the west coast, in San Francisco in tech PR. Many of the PR jobs I held were in pharma, which is great, but I would like to see how PR is practiced in other cities and what industries are more prominent in other places. My ultimate goal would be to do PR in London or Paris.

3. Daniella Opabajo

This article, in particular, sparked my interest because I am originally from the Washington D.C. area and I would love to work in D.C. after graduation. The only downside to working within the PR industry in D.C. is the fact that most PR jobs center around politics. Other than government and political jobs within PR most industry that hire PR people are startups which have their pro and cons too. I find that during my job search that D.C. has not fully immersed in the PR sector yet. Many jobs have the title of “marketing associate” or “communications liaison.” Because of this I definitely see myself working in New York or maybe even the west coast, where I can potentially break into broader industries.

4. Anthony Ferrufino

This is a question that I have been asking myself since I started the Hofstra MAPR program. As someone born and raised in New York, I have always dreamed of working in the city. As someone interested in politics I knew that Washington D.C. is where I needed to be. While I was in my undergrad I had the opportunity to live and work in Washington D.C. I loved the city, the atmosphere, and people I met. Today as someone looking to work in government PR I get excited over the idea of a growing PR field in D.C. However after living in D.C. and getting to experience living in the city center I realized that I would not like to raise a family in that atmosphere. It is for this reason that I would choose NYC, I could continue to live on long Island while working in a dream location like NYC.

5. Daniel Nikander

Right now, my goal is to work in New York City, yet I recognize that it is mostly due to convenience. I’ve been fortunate enough to make connections with a handful of PR professionals there, so I definitely see it as my starting-place in the industry. Nonetheless, in the future I see myself going out west. I am very interested in entertainment and I feel cities like Los Angeles would be a great fit (but no less competitive, unfortunately). It’s funny because I’ve considered moving to Washington DC before. My friend in PR went to graduate school out there and it opened my eyes a little to its PR potential. So I would definitely consider that as an option in the future.

6. Derrica Newman

It is interesting that DC and NY account for 70 percent of PR practitioners. I can see why Washington D.C is home to a lot of jobs in PR, being that it is the nations capital. I have visited DC a number of times and I could not see myself living there or working there. Personally I would love to find a job in PR in NY. There is no place like NYC and it’s home to my family and friends. BUT, if a great opportunity were to present itself then I may have to take DC up on there offer.

7. Forrest Gitlin

It seems every year politicians need more help communicating with the public and earning their support. As the details or lobbying efforts become more widely known and heavily criticized, I think that it is no surprise that PR is becoming more popular in Washington. The very firm that turned me on to the profession (after working at the front desk for a few months) served both corporate and political clients.

While working there, I found it interesting to see the differences and similarities in the communications approaches made for corporate v. political clients. I wonder how the dynamic in political PR has changed in the past two years, as skepticism of politicians and of the media are at an all-time-high, but so too are their need for effective communications. I also wonder how much has changed between the approaches for communicating on behalf of clients in the private sector v. the public sector.

8. Duane Pinnock

I’m very surprised that Washington D.C. and New York alone account for 70% of PR employment jobs. I thought it would’ve been more spread out throughout the states, this is good information to have for when job searching after graduation. Even though I would love to work for the New York Knicks one day, I wouldn’t limit myself to just NY after finding out which cities have the strongest career possibilities. I do have some interest in traveling and this would give me the best chance to do so.

9. Owen Lewis

It’s hard for me to write that I’d like to work anywhere other than New York. The city is where I was born and raised, and I feel anchored to it. I also appreciate that New York is removed from Washington D.C. without being disconnected from D.C. I think that provides an interesting point of view outside of the D.C. government community, which the cynic in me continues to see as unethical. Still I have no illusions about Manhattan and the way in which people generally operate. Otherwise, London or Amsterdam look very appealing. European Parliament is pretty interesting to me.

10. Danielle Drop

I’m intrigued as to why you were so quick to steer someone away from looking at PR jobs in DC. Of course, as the nation’s capital, the first thought is that the city holds only government-based careers. That being said, Washington DC is a city just like anywhere else: it has a diverse amount of jobs in many different sectors. It couldn’t survive as a city without this variety. One of the most appealing aspects of public relations, as we learn, is that everyone needs PR. Therefore, any city (or even small town for that matter) with businesses, non-profits, events, and culture needs public relations to sustain itself. I’d love to work in DC; I think it’s a beautiful city. I also love to travel, so it’d be nice to work in a city or town in a different country, such as London. I know a basic amount of French, too, and I’d even consider working in Paris for a few years if the opportunity presented itself.

1. Summer

Those numbers are certainly astounding. I don’t have a preference for where I would like to practice PR , as long as it pertains to music and entertainment. NPR is my dream job and there are locations in Washington D.C. and New York. I would attribute the surge of PR jobs to this current administration. The climate has caused companies and organizations to seek better communicators. Being from Charlotte and New Jersey I find myself being attracted to residing in busy city style areas. I see myself practicing PR in bustling cities and the statistics demonstrate those are where the jobs and money are.

11. Andrew Gagnon

Growing up in eastern Connecticut, the closest large city to me would be Hartford. Nothing too impressive, but I was very lucky to travel a lot growing up. Visiting cities all over the country made me eventually want to live in or near one, and ultimately New York is my favorite. Working on Long Island for the New York Islanders PR would be my career dream. Although politics aren’t my preferred area of interest, I can see why Washington D.C. is becoming a PR hotbed, and why so many people are flocking there for PR jobs.

12. Natalie Brooker

Growing up in the early 2000s, it was perceived in my developing mind that New York City was the business capital of the world. New York was it! Streets paved with gold! Opportunities in every career field you could imagine! Due to this preconceived notion, and the fact of the matter that I had never been to New York, my teenage mind would plan my move to New York as soon as possible. As I turned 18, I packed up my life that I had built in my sleepy San Francisco Bay Area town with the dreams of becoming a celebrity’s publicist. Yet upon completing two and a half years of university, my hopes and dreams have shifted. I am more business inclined than the entertainment industry. I see the success of my home city’s booming technology industry and warm weather that makes me homesick at night. Often times I question why I moved to New York when all my friends and family are together reaping the benefits of the booming Silicon Valley and all its opportunities.
    Once I am finished moping and take the LIRR into the shiny, beautiful, New York City, or once I go to a networking event and am reminded of the endless opportunities that await a young woman like me in NYC, I never want to leave. Eventually, I would like to come back to my hometown, but there is no rush. I feel lucky to have the best of both worlds, calling New York and San Francisco home.

13. Anonymous

With a degree in PR there are vast amounts of opportunities like New York and D.C. I do not have a specific goal that I would like to accomplish in this field. I am interested in politics and would like to work government PR. My dilemma is that I love New York, and eventually if I want to move up I will have to relocate to D.C. Personally right now I do not have a set direction on where I want to go.

14. Jae J.

As a licensed cosmetologist, communications graduate and soon to be public relations graduate, I feel that I can work almost anywhere. I don’t have a “fairytale dream” place to work, maybe that’s because I already live and work here in New York. I do plan to utilize all of my degrees/certifications simutamousely. To answer the question, I have no personal attachment to any state or type of neighborhood, I am always open to frequent traveling. I am however, a firm believer that if you can make it in New York City (building connections, saving money, etc.) than you can make it anywhere. My goal would be to have an array of clientele that support both career paths. Maybe I’ll combine both and do image branding or start a company where I brand others image verbally and physically.

I would love to live in Los Angeles for a few years and work closely in the entertainment industry. A lot of events happen in LA that I would love to take part in. If I ever could afford to live in both LA and NY/NJ then I would and would like to work in both cities.

15. Gracen Hansen

I feel like PR jobs increasing in DC makes sense. Clearly in our current administration it is becoming more and more evident that most in the public eye need someone helping them to represent their image, including politicians. As an aspiring journalist I would love to work in any major city, London, Los Angeles, New York, Boston, etc.

16. Amanda Kruse

Hearing that there is actually an increasing market for PR in Washington DC is not surprising, especially with the current political climate. Getting the public to hear the message of certain politicians and certain campaigns is a huge part of today’s politics. Personally, I don’t think that is the area of PR I will be going in to. Since I want to do entertainment PR, realistically I will stay in New York. I am from Pennsylvania and since New York is so close and one of the biggest locations for PR, it is realistic to stay here. Then again, if I decide to go into Film PR, then Los Angeles is probably the best place to get close to that industry.

17. Zachary Hanby

I can say with complete honesty that the PR boom in Washington DC is not surprising. As mentioned, most of the jobs would be in government and as media still serves as a watchdog to politics, its necessary for public figures and organizations to have someone manage their image. In a technological age, this has become even more prevalent. Personally, I prefer New York since I have grown to love the city and all the opportunities I have been offered here.

18. Lauren Reilly

Since I was born and raised on Long Island, I can’t picture myself straying very far. As a PR major I see myself most likely working in New York. Whenever I leave New York sometimes I don’t even acknowledge the fact that I am in another state, everywhere is New York lol. I would prefer to stay on Long Island rather than go into New York City, but if that’s where I have to go to get a job I would do so since the city is full of opportunity. I agree that most opportunities for PR jobs is in these major cities. I’ve fantasied about moving to LA and start a whole new life, but I’m not sure if I would ever gain the courage to uproot my life and be so far away from everything I know. As for DC, I am not one to follow politics so I can not really picture myself ever searching for a career in that realm.

19. Madeline Myslow

I can say with certainty that I’d love to work in New York City as a PR professional. I would assume that many other Hofstra students feel this way, as being so close to the city is a main reason why students choose this school. Plus, living and working in the city is “the dream” for many people, including myself. As fun as other locations like Washington D.C., Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Seattle would be, I would most likely go with what I know and work in the city, especially because I want to go into theater and Broadway is exclusive to NYC. But if I absolutely could not have a job in NYC, I would most likely go with a job which had me traveling worldwide, so I could experience all sorts of places.

20. Emily Wong

Personally I think New York City is the best place for me to find a job in publishing. The City is where the most internship and job opportunities in book publishing are found. I want to go into trade publishing where I’d focus in children’s literature. New York City is home to many publishing companies that are known for having different imprints for children’s literature. It’s also convenient for me because I live on Long Island and I don’t want to move too far away from my family. I’d be more comfortable working in the City since it’s familiar, instead of moving across the country.

21. Martin Bradshaw

New York is definitely where I intend on being after I graduate for a variety of reasons. Many of the connections I’ve made, many of my friends, and the majority of my life experiences since beginning college are all in the greater NYC area – not to mention the fact that the city offers countless opportunities and experiences that can’t be had anyplace else. That being said, I would definitely be interested in moving to the west coast if an opportunity presented itself. San Francisco is beautiful and Los Angeles is a bigger hub for many parts of the entertainment industry such as music, movies, and TV and therefore offers different opportunities for young professionals seeking employment in those fields.

22. Christian Santos

New York is definitely my location of choice, especially in a rapidly growing field like PR and my own field of journalism. There are just too many opportunities here and a variety of organizations to work with. There are of course the big, well-known super companies but there are also smaller, lesser-known organizations who are also looking to fill spots for reporting and PR. That being said, there’s a lot of competition. I would not only be competing against a ton of well-qualified applicants, I would also be competing against the most qualified applicants in the country. Everyone wants to work in New York because that’s where all the jobs are. D.C. would probably be my second choice. I would expect to be working in the political sphere in D.C., especially after reading this blog post, and that’s something I would really enjoy doing. I’ve always had an interest in politics, and I’m fortunate to have worked with a number of political campaigns in the Nassau County area since my sophomore year. I’m not sure if I would work for the government at this moment in time, but I would certainly work with a non-government political organization, whether that be a political party, a special interest group, etc. While I am a journalism major, I see a lot of similarities between my field and PR, and I think I could foster skills in both just to keep my options open in the future. That’s why I’m taking this class.

23. John Potito

For, me I’d love to work in Boston. I grew up in Florida, and did some bouncing around state to state during the breaks once I came Hofstra. My career path lines up more with Marketing; especially for entertainment. While New York is very much the hub for that field; marketing can really go anywhere. I find Boston much more enjoyable as a city, and really fell in love with the culture and style there. Boston is also a very major city full of opportunity, so there’s a happy balance for me. A positive environment facilitates optimal performance, so in my view I’d actually have a greater chance of achieving meaningful success. I’ve commuted to internships via a 45 min train line in both New York and Boston, and the commute to Boston was a much more enjoyable experience. I’m not bashing New York in any way, but it’s well known that it’s signature environment is not for everyone. I will keep Seattle and D.C on my radar now, though. So I very much appreciate the info. Us college students can’t rant on all we want about where we’d love to work, but, at the end of the day, we’ll take what we can get!

24. Ai Ren

Working and living in NYC is kind of a small dream for me. This is also the reason why I choose America and the reason why I choose Hofstra. Before I came to America, New York City was only appearing in the movies and soap opera. My major is Accounting. It has no doubt that I will find a better job in the top five cities that the professor mentioned in the article. First, working in New York City as an accountant could share the new information sooner than other ones. Second, New York City has a bigger market and more clients for companies. Third, there will be a lot of working opportunities because of its large demand. If I could have a work opportunity in NYC after I graduated, I will definitely stay and take this job. If I have to go back to China after I graduated, I will also choose Shanghai or Beijing as my first choice.

25. joebarone28

It’s interesting to see which cities have the most growth in the public relations industry. For me – however – you can’t take the city out of the city kid. It’s got to be New York because I’m a New Yorker/Brooklynite born and rasied and have my family all in this area. That comes first. I think it’s just a plus that PR jobs in NYC are huge but the fact that I can still remain close is a major factor. One thing to make certain, if you’re committed and really focus hard on your dreams, they’ll be achieved. So if I set a goal to make it in NYC, I’m hoping at one point or another, I’ll get the chance to achieve it.

26. Kathryn Harley

There’s no doubt that there are ample opportunities to pursue practically any field in New York City, which is the primary reason why I’d love to work there in the future. Hofstra also presents many opportunities that are primarily located in the city that could lead to a great career in the future. I’ve always been interested in the entertainment industry, which is why I would also consider Los Angeles as a future destination. There are simply so many decisions to make in the future that scare me and excite me at the same time!

27. Alora Grant

Although PR is one of my majors, I’m not entirely sure that will be my career path. However, with the many opportunities that New York presents, I feel that it would be best for me, personally, if I stayed in New York. As my career path becomes clearer while I’m in schools, I know that I may change my mind and decide to travel to Los Angeles and pursue a career there instead. Since I will have a background in rhetoric, drama, journalism, and public relations, I will have a few different options when it comes to my career.

28. Stacyann Nathan

I think you have to an understanding of where you want your career in PR to go. For me I love tv/entertainment and New York is the world’s biggest capital for the media. The job market is tough out here so networking is key. D.C is also a great place as well especially on the political aspect. But either way it is who you know is what will get you your job.

29. Nicole Finocchio

Since I’ve grown up on Long Island, I would like to work in New York City because I have seen and heard about the many opportunities it offers people. I’m not positive if I will be joining the PR profession, but if I do, I know NYC will have multiple public relations opportunities in the fields of entertainment, finance, fashion, sports, and insurance as well as the government. If I develop an interest in doing PR for a particular industry, and it was in another city, I would most likely move, because it is important to follow a career you are passionate about.
    I think the growth in PR jobs in Washington D.C. makes sense because of the increased presence of political figures on social media. Politicians try to entice younger voters to participate in local government issues and elections, and what better way to do this than by connecting on a platform that young adults use often? I personally would not like to work in the political arena, but I believe for those who do, it is a great opportunity.

30. Jessica Vespa

Having grown up on Long Island, I have definitely taken advantage of being just a short train ride away from one of the major cultural hubs in the world. The numbers don’t lie as NYC truly seems to be a land of opportunity for students striving to work in Public Relations or another facet of media and entertainment, or even government for that matter. Personally, I would like to start my career here in the “Big Apple” as it has been my dream to work for a major media organization, many of which have corporate offices or studios in the heart of NYC. I have experienced live productions of Good Morning America, the Today Show, and Fox News, and am intrigued by the different areas of work that go on behind the scenes of these national broadcasts. I am also a huge fan of the New York Mets and would love the opportunity to work for that organization at some point as well! So, I look to start my career here in my home state, but would not be opposed to seeing new places and working elsewhere. For the sake of this article, those with an interest in working for the government shouldn’t rule out the idea of working in the nation’s capital as the opportunities are seemingly endless, similar to those for media in New York.

31. Christina Shackett

Perhaps because I go to school in New York, the automatic and most obvious answer to me is to continue working in Public Relations after graduation would be to live in New York. However, under the current climate it isn’t hard to believe that PR opportunities in Washington, D.C. are growing. I personally don’t see the attraction in political PR, especially if it were to be under certain circumstances. However, I do think more work in PR in these areas could mean a shift in the relationship between the public and the government. Regardless, my first thought for post PR opportunities goes to New York.

32. Tierney Hall

I, personally, would not want to work in Washington, D.C., however I would think about working in New York City. I myself want to go into the fashion side of Public Relations, therefore New York City makes sense for me. It also makes a lot of sense that the number of Public Relations jobs in D.C. is rising so quickly as the presence and importance of social media usage by government officials also rises. With the ability to post something online so quickly and easily it is important that widely followed, influential individuals have a PR representative there with them to keep them from posting things that are too controversial or offensive. Public Relations everywhere has become extremely important with the rise of social media so as unexpected as it may be for job opportunities in D.C. to be rising, when thinking about it, it really does make sense that they are.

33. Aliyah H.

The surge in PR opportunities in Washington definitely doesn’t surprise me considering the current political climate. I’ve always thought that D.C. and the surrounding DMV area were great places to set up shop. Personally, I would like to continue to do PR in NY; however, I would love to work and live abroad. After living in Spain for 6 months during JYA and traveling around Europe, I have always wanted to go back and live there for a couple of years. I think it would be a fun and exciting move to learn about a new market and the nuances of public opinion within a different culture!

34. Kayla Scordo

The city I would choose to working in is Orlando. I have always wanted to work for Disney Parks. I was never really sure what I wanted to do in particular at Disney. Now that I am a PR major and had an internship I have found that I enjoy event planning. If I end up at Disney, which I intend to, I would see myself working in special events particularly Disney Weddings.

35. Christyann Martinez

As a Public Relations major I am personally very excited to stay in NYC for two main reasons. Firstly, I was born and raised in NYC and this is a place where I am very comfortable. Because of the connections I have already made here it would make the most sense to stay in the area. Secondly, I am hoping to incorporate fashion into my job by possibly doing PR for fashion companies, magazines, etc. New York is definitely more fashion oriented than DC, where politics have a larger role. I would definitely be able to explore fashion PR to a higher degree in such a fashion-based city.

36. Andrea Bilton

Ever since I graduated high school, I knew that I wanted to live and work in New York City. The thought of living in the middle of a city that is constantly pulsating with excitement, with a new adventure at every turn, intrigues me to no end. As a hopeful journalist, I know that New York will prove to set the scene for endless stories for me to pursue. I haven’t fully decided whether I will land a job in print, radio, or television, but the best part about forging a career in NYC is that there are boundless opportunities in regards to all forms of media. I would never want to graduate and feel trapped by my city, or feel as if I had to alter my dream in order to live in a certain place. This is why I look forward to graduating and beginning my career as a New York journalist- because I know I have endless opportunities awaiting me in a city that is just as big as my dreams.

37. Rikki Glazer

I find it really interesting how many job opportunities in PR are in D.C. Government and politics have always greatly interested me. I think that government PR is a good way for me to explore my two passions. If I am unable to work in Chicago or New York after college, I would be interested in moving down to Washington D.C. and working in government PR.

38. Sabrina Cortor

As a Public Relations major and a love for fashion, I personally believe that I would benefit most from working in New York City. Whether its working for a magazine company such as Vogue or working at a big Fashion company such as Salvatore Ferragamo, New York City definitely would benefit me the most for my passion of fashion and the amount of magazine and clothing companies that are located in this city. Also with that in mind, I would have a good opportunity of maybe one day working at New York Fashion Week and being able to use my PR career there.

39. Courtney Shapiro

I’ve been going to the place I refer to as “the city” since I was a little kid. New York City has always held opportunities for big and important jobs. I’m a journalism major and many newspaper and magazine publications are located right in the big apple itself. I’ve always pictured myself living in New York City, and as I got older, I wanted to work there even more. I love the culture that is offered in the city as well as the different stylistic aspects. I also enjoy fashion, and want to pursue writing for a fashion magazine, which is most likely located in New York.

40. Emily Green

Personally, I could only ever see myself working in either Washington D.C. or New York once I graduate college. Growing up just an hour outside of Washington D.C. and then having the privilege to attend college so close to New York City, I have had the opportunity to view and explore these locations and what each have to offer. While personally I have no interest in having my work directly surround politics, I believe both Washington D.C. and New York have opportunities for Journalism majors like myself to explore other venues, while still writing and advocating for what I have a passion for. As for the data from ABODO, I am not surprised. All of the cities listed are known as “news-hubs,” with most news, entertainment, political, or otherwise being released from those locations. All of these locations are very well versed in communications allow for opportunities in fields such as PR to grow and flourish, making them ideal locations for those who want to go into those fields.

41. DaisyMae VanValkenburgh

As a journalism major with a triple minor in integrated media, Public Relations, and Global Studies, I could definitely see myself ending up in any of those cities, but I would most like to work in New York. My heart has been set on New York since I was younger, and I’ve done most of my research within those firms in the area, rather than looking into other cities. However, I could also see myself working in Washington, D.C. because of how closely related work in NY and D.C. now are. I see myself staying on the East Coast, rather than the West Coast, so that is why I see myself settling down with a career in either of those two places. I also want to begin as a writer, but work my way up as an editor, so I think the best way to do that is to work in an area that I know well with many options. I grew up with newspapers such as the New York Times and later on with Newsday once I began taking classes in New York. As I have spent even more time on Long Island I’ve become familiar with the Long Island Herald, etc. and therefore have a close connection with New York in general, more than any of those other well-known PR and communications cities. I find the data from ABODO not surprising because of how influential each of those areas are to the communications world compared to other smaller cities.

42. Jazz Graham

I would most likely want to stay in New York or possibly move to Los Angeles in order to pursue my career in Public Relations. I intend to work in entertainment or within the music industry, and New York and LA seem to be the two areas where music and entertainment are most prominent. However, I am not surprised that public relations is becoming a more popular profession within cities outside of New York, and I am very confident that as the importance of public relations continues to gain more recognition, the profession will continue to grow.

43. Tia Di Salvo

Although I have plans to attend law school, I would love to eventually work in government relations and/or lobbying in D.C. Especially in today’s age of “fake news,” media relations (and really all of PR) has become an essential tool in managing an individual’s or organization’s political reputation. I agree that politics and PR are intertwined and hope that more communications-focused positions can help create a little more transparency among both elected and appointed officials.

I currently intern in the Communications Bureau for the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office and have been exposed to how much planning and intent goes into managing the DA’s public perception. While New York City politics aren’t quite the same as D.C., it has been an eye-opening experience to understand the role of PR within politics.

44. Emily DiLaura

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter as much how many jobs are available in a given area, as much as it matters the subject being covered. Depending on the type of PR you want to go into, can change where you live or where would be best to go. Something to keep in mind: everyone needs PR. Everyone. Every thing. Every company. They may not realize it though, so it can become your job as the PR professional to teach that company the benefits you can offer.
    Personally, I want to work in New Jersey to start. It is where I grew up, and I find that most jobs in PR around here are healthcare or consumer goods, which are both areas I have interest in. I think it is important to remember that you don’t have to live in a city to practice PR. I am 100% not a city person. It is not an environment I thrive or feel comfortable in. But I know I can find a PR job in New Jersey, or anywhere I go, because everyone needs to communicate.

45. Courtney Grieco

With such a controversial presidency, comes greater need for PR professionals. The public is tuned in and waiting to hear the next big story. Therefore, it doesn’t surprise me that the PR field has become to popular in Washington D.C. On a more personal level however, I couldn’t see myself relocating to Washington D.C., but for those interested in Political PR, it seems like a great opportunity!

46. Mike Marti

It doesn’t surprise me that Washington D.C.’s P.R. scene is growing, especially considering today’s political climate and the need to maintain a positive image. As a PR major at Hofstra, I have come to accept that I will most likely have to live in New York City and work there for a period of time. However, I would love to go west and give Seattle a shot. I would not be opposed to Los Angeles or San Francisco either, but i would prefer to avoid D.C. because, being a New England native, I would like to spend some time of my live on the other side of the country. The variety of companies based in Seattle and the surrounding area would provide me with a multitude of opportunities and experiences that would help me better myself as a PR professional.

47. Emanuelle Souffrant

As a PR major I would want to work either in New York or LA because i want to go into Corporate PR or work with celebrities . So, I believe that it has more to do with what type of job that you’re looking for. Personally, I don’t do politics so i would never look for a job in DC but for someone that’s into politics that would be the place to go for a job.

48. Liane Sousa

I agree with the research from ABODO’s website, as cities like Los Angeles and New York hold many PR opportunities. As a big fan of Major League Baseball and the New York Yankees organization, I aspire to continue my dreams in the Bronx, NY. I hope to carry my PR skills into the sports industry becoming a lead coordinator for the New York Yankees organization. I am a firm believer one must relocate to a city or town to follow his or her interests and passions in the PR industry.

49. Jeremy

During my winter break of my freshmen year of college, I reached out to a number of journalists and television anchors to try and make connections and ask for advice on how to acquire a job once I graduated from college. Jay Onrait, who at the time was a sports anchor on Fox Sports, said the biggest piece of he could give me was to be open to moving anywhere and everywhere. Since then the idea of living on the other side of the country or somewhere that isn’t close to home has settled with me. But if I really had to pick a place to as where I would want to work, it would be New York. There are many opportunities here and as a journalism major there are newspapers such as the New York Times and Newsday among many professional sports teams that I would love to cover. I also grew up in Long Island and since I was four, I have covered and seen just about every place Long Island has to offer along with New York City, so I feel comfortable knowing my surroundings. It would be a dream of mine to work in The City That Never Sleeps.

50. Jason Abdow

As a Television/Business major with a love for working in a live studio environment, I see New York as the city that would be the most beneficial for me to work. New York City is known for the amount of live television content it is able to produce between NBC, ABC, CNN, Fox, etc all producing much of their live material in the city. There are also plenty of smaller companies in the surrounding areas that are great for people who are just getting started. As for this article, if I were planning on working in PR after graduation I would definitely not rule out working in D.C. Obviously the political climate has been changing over the last few years and there seems to be a great amount of emphasis on PR and rebranding among politicians.